Babble Away! A Babbling Contest With Prizes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arielthechunk22

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wait, im confused, is this on the news, because I live under a rock with the news, I never know what is going on, I only see it at restaurants and places like that :-)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Wait, im confused, is this on the news, because I live under a rock with the news, I never know what is going on, I only see it at restaurants and places like that :-)
Well, the situation in Greece was in the news a few days ago but not quite so much right now.  The Greek people voted on a referendum to decide whether or not to accept a debt repayment package proposed by the European Union.  And they voted no, so then there were a lot of meetings and I gather an agreement has been reached which, among other things, requires that the Greek government sell publicly held assets, like airports.  I don't know if it involves higher taxes but I know that pensions are being cut, and have already been cut so that a few years ago there were terribly sad stories coming out about people who were losing everything.  I don't know what they mean when they say "pensions" but wondered if it was something like social security here.  The Greek people have been living in a period of austerity for some time now and it is about to get even worse. 

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I remember reading about plans to force Greece to sell public assets several years ago and I found it very troubling.  Once that's done, there is no way to get them back again.  I guess now it is actually going to happen.  Are you going to lose parks too?  Surely they won't sell the Parthenon?  I remember clambering around the Acropolis as a kid - an absolutely magical memory. 
@Margd  An asset is considered to be anything that generates income. E.g. ports, airports, sites, mines, corporations, even islands.. And Greece is rich in islands and ports, amongst other things.. The Parthenon is of immense worth.. Not to forget that the Germans, while they were bombing around, they protected the Parthenon, back in WW2 
 I have no idea if it's gonna be included among the assets though..

Yes, @Arielthechunk22  it is.. but 2 thumbs up for refusing to watch!
 Usually the news feature awful stories 

I don't know what they mean when they say "pensions" but wondered if it was something like social security here.  The Greek people have been living in a period of austerity for some time now and it is about to get even worse. 
@Margd  I will describe it as best as I can: Pension is the fund retired people get. After they are qualified to retire, they get paid according to their Social Security retirement plan..

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know the finer details about the situation in Greece (I find that kind of information hard to process at the moment). I was so pleased that Greece rejected the EU package though.

@Norachan - I know I'm late, but I loved that costume you posted. It really suited you too :)

Can I have more photo advice please? Shadow gave me this this morning, but my timing was slightly off :sigh:
View media item 285545Or
View media item 285546Or
View media item 285548I know I posted the Asha ones yesterday, but it's easier to compare with them together.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or
View media item 285546Or
View media item 285548I know I posted the Asha ones yesterday, but it's easier to compare with them together.
I really like the last picture. Asha looks to be having a giggle from a good tickling 
  Shadow looks so cute. Then again, you can't go wrong with a picture of  a teddy bear cat who I'd love to pick up and cuddle. 

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Columbine  

Those are two adorable 'derp' faces ^_^ I have yet to catch my own kitties derp faces, because I'm just not ninja enough with my phone!

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Or
View media item 285546Or
No photo advice but I love the one of Shadow.  He looks like a pirate!

@GrizzlySapien   Thanks for clearing up about assets.  That's pretty much what I figured- that everything was on the chopping block.  I really hope the Parthenon won't be sold.  And if it were, I would hope it was donated right back to the Greek people.  Because that's who it belongs to.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Columbine

Those are two adorable 'derp' faces ^_^ I have yet to catch my own kitties derp faces, because I'm just not ninja enough with my phone!
What phone do you have? My galaxy S5 has a feature called 'shot and more' where you click once and it takes a series of back to back shots. By going into the editor you can then pick the shot/shots you want to keep. It's the only way I've found to get these kinds of pics from my phone.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness, the first one is so funny and cute, I love it, I think that one is so adorable :-)
I like them all (obviously ;) ), but I love how Shadow has managed to combine a slightly miffed expression with his yawn :heart3: You'd never think it from his eyes, but he was purring up a storm during that photo session :heart4:

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was Captain America (not by choice), and jerry-rigged the costume together from different clothing items (obviously I didn't make the shield). Our group wanted to go full movie costume, not the sexified versions everyone else seemed to want to do. I have to say, it SUCKED wearing three layers up top! Undershirt, jacket, and corset to boot. I was sweating like a pig before we even got in the building :p

This one was from Halloween :) it was my second attempt at a costume

View media item 285444
View media item 285549
 Or: View media item 285449Looking at those though together like this, it'd probably be really easy to make one base corset used for both. "easy" hah. I'm not really good at costuming.
Zattana and Mystique rule! Don't give up! Although I'm not bad, very early on I realized I didn't like to sit and sew, so I commissioned my leotard! The important thing is to have fun in the costume! View media item 285553

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What phone do you have? My galaxy S5 has a feature called 'shot and more' where you click once and it takes a series of back to back shots. By going into the editor you can then pick the shot/shots you want to keep. It's the only way I've found to get these kinds of pics from my phone.
@Columbine  

I have an iPhone. Yes, I'm one of the many Apple sheep, but from experience, their computers are so much better for digital graphic design and photo editing/illustration! RAWR! hahaha :p

Anyway, what I meant by not being ninja enough is that as soon as they see the phone, they take off running, or go hide... but one day, kitties... ONE DAY I SHALL CAPTURE YOUR DERPY GLORY!

margd

Veteran
Purraise

@Columbine  

I have an iPhone. Yes, I'm one of the many Apple sheep, but from experience, their computers are so much better for digital graphic design and photo editing/illustration! RAWR! hahaha :p

Anyway, what I meant by not being ninja enough is that as soon as they see the phone, they take off running, or go hide... but one day, kitties... ONE DAY I SHALL CAPTURE YOUR DERPY GLORY!
 I have an iPhone too and I can't get a good picturre to save my life.  If it has that back to back feature that @Columbine described, I can't find it.  But it's the same deal.  I pick up the phone and they're outta there.  You'd think it was stealing their souls or something!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: raksha raksha I've never used Apple, and I'm dreadful at learning new operating systems. Tech really isn't my thing, sadly (though if I had unlimited money that might change ;) )

Asha doesn't run from my phone...she just hits me when she's has enough! So far claws haven't been engaged, but I get the feeling it's only a matter of time...

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a Journalism major turned journalism minor with Creative writing major, I can tell you that the news is the last place to get information about just about anything. At least in America news organizations have their own individual political bents and none of them can be trusted to be truly impartial. There are 5 (that's right) companies that control all of the news organizations in the entire country.

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@MagiksGirl   THANK YOU!!! I was nervous because I was worried people would notice I put the jacket "zipper" on the wrong side, lol. Instead, our group was SWARMED by people wanting pictures, and I made the top ten in a few magazines that were roaming about!!! We also got a standing ovation during the contest, because (seriously) we looked pretty bad ass as a group.

@Losna   DUDE! You should totally do Viking, Red Sonya, or any of the ones you want! There are so many tutorials for making faux (and real) chainmail out of wire or foam! A lot of armor we made was literally thin foam, heated over the stove, and molded to the shape of the body part or look it needed. Then we spray painted it with base, and then metallic paint ^_^ all the little rivets and designs can be glued on, or made out of glue! We got pretty inventive when it came to making Thor and Loki's armor. I made Thor's Hammer for my friend, because she was behind schedule, and all it took was a block of foam, shaving it down to the right shape, gluing sleek foam on top of it (making sure the edges lined up, then using a glue pen to draw on the intricate designs, and finish it with silver base paint, and a layer of shiny top coat! The handle was easy... literally shoved it into the foam block (with superglue in the hole), and then wrapping it with fake leather looking material ^_^

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@NewYork1303   I completely agree. The major media outlets have been bought and paid for by various political parties to further their agenda through misdirection, diversion, and outright falsifications. We are back to the age of "yellow journalism", and it's just dragging us (at least the USA) further and further into a black hole of division and self-destruction.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For all you costume makers - if you really want to go to town, look up jewellery instructions for chain maille- its the same principle as original chain mail used, and if you put the time in you could make armour yourself. Scale maille would work too :)

margd

Veteran
Purraise

@NewYork1303   I completely agree. The major media outlets have been bought and paid for by various political parties to further their agenda through misdirection, diversion, and outright falsifications. We are back to the age of "yellow journalism", and it's just dragging us (at least the USA) further and further into a black hole of division and self-destruction.

As a Journalism major turned journalism minor with Creative writing major, I can tell you that the news is the last place to get information about just about anything. At least in America news organizations have their own individual political bents and none of them can be trusted to be truly impartial. There are 5 (that's right) companies that control all of the news organizations in the entire country.
Politifact did a study recently of several of the major network and channel news sites as to how truthful their news was.  I think CNN may have been the "highest" but it was REALLY low, like 40% or something like that.  And Fox was something like 18%.  Just awful.  That's why I go to the blogosphere and to British sites like BBC and the Guardian. 

Status
Not open for further replies.