Babble Away! A Babbling Contest With Prizes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
A con is a convention, in the case of hero costumes, it would likely either be a roleplaying, anime or a comic con. Many people dress up as characters from movies, comics, video games, etc to attend. Most such costumes are very time and resource intensive to create, one of a kind handmade items tailored for the person wearing them.

Roleplaying is very similar to improv acting. You play a character, in a very similar way that an actor plays a role, although there is no script, and generally there is a set of rules that are used to govern interactions.

If I am roleplaying a thief, and you a city guard, for example, there would be rules to determine whether or not you could catch me as I tried to escape with my loot. That's very simplistic, but if you want a more in depth explanation feel free to ask for more. :)
Yeah, that's what I meant to say![emoji]128573[/emoji]:clap: Thank you for bailing me out of that one!

Last edited:

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Margd Hehe. I've been gaming for 30 years now. I've had a lot of practice trying to explain what roleplaying is. My first costume making attempts were for roleplaying cons back in the 80s. I suck at it.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat and dog are both sitting at the window looking out. They are just happy that it is open so they can smell the evening air.

margd

Veteran
Purraise

@Margd Hehe. I've been gaming for 30 years now. I've had a lot of practice trying to explain what roleplaying is. My first costume making attempts were for roleplaying cons back in the 80s. I suck at it.
I've always thought they looked like tremendous fun.  I remember years ago being at the airport during a con when Chewbacca walked by wheeling his luggage.  Later two or three stormtroopers ran by.  A very surreal moment.   This was before airport security got so tough, obviously.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Raksha That's what I meant by resource intensive. A friend of mine is big into the cosplay, and he spends $4-500 per costume, each one taking him 5 or 6 months to make. They look mind-blowing though. Oddly I have no pictures of him all dressed up.

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
losna losna

For real... My captain America cost me upwards of $300. Next time I'm doing the majority of it myself, since there's so many awesome tutorials on YouTube!!!

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Eclipse out for his walk this evening and he spent most of the time exploring the outside of the new tent and jumping over the new tunnel.  I decided to just switch one old tunnel and add the two new ones.  So now I have 2 tunnels, the tower, anther tunnel and the tent.  It gives them a 20ft long run now.

margd

Veteran
Purraise

I took Eclipse out for his walk this evening and he spent most of the time exploring the outside of the new tent and jumping over the new tunnel.  I decided to just switch one old tunnel and add the two new ones.  So now I have 2 tunnels, the tower, anther tunnel and the tent.  It gives them a 20ft long run now.
What a wonderful paradise you've created for them!  They must be so very happy.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hello all... 1.30 in the afternoon here.  I'm still nursing a flu and so am looking for a new knitting pattern.  Does anyone know of a good one for a simple wide scarf or shawl?  I quite like a bit of lacework in the design.

So now I really feel like the little old lady of babble thread...

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all... 1.30 in the afternoon here.  I'm still nursing a flu and so am looking for a new knitting pattern.  Does anyone know of a good one for a simple wide scarf or shawl?  I quite like a bit of lacework in the design.
So now I really feel like the little old lady of babble thread... :lol3:
My goodness! 1:30 in the afternoon? Where do you live? I'm in California and it's almost 8:45 pm here.

And you're not the only "little old lady". Personally I do cross stitch. :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Margd Here are photos of it.  Eclipse likes to go out and I can't always take him so this was my compromise.  Fluffy doesn't like going out on a leash but loves going out in the tent.  So far no one has complained about the new length - you have to go around it to get out of the yard.

View media item 285467
View media item 285468
View media item 285469

Last edited:

margd

Veteran
Purraise
@Margd
Here are photos of it.  Eclipse likes to go out and I can't always take him so this was my comprise.  Fluffy doesn't like going out on a leash but loves going out in the tent.  So far no one has complained about the new length - you have to go around it to get out of the yard.

View media item 285467
View media item 285468
View media item 285469
Oh my gosh, that's absolutely magical! It really makes me miss having a backyard. I would love Chula and Paul to have such a set-up!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

@Mani I don't know knitting ... I can't handle the two! I could give you a million if you were after crochet shawls.

Have you tried ravelry? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sea...craft=knitting&sort=best&pc=shawl-wrap&page=1
   Yes, I saw your beautiful shawls..
  I've been known to spend hours on Ravelry..
but sometimes you have to be careful with the patterns as people just give a basic idea of how they did it, and sometimes they get the pattern wrong.

I've been trying to make up my own pattern for some beautiful hand-died wool I bought, and I have taken it to pieces so many times it's ridiculous.
My goodness! 1:30 in the afternoon? Where do you live? I'm in California and it's almost 8:45 pm here.

And you're not the only "little old lady". Personally I do cross stitch.
I'm on the east coast of Australia... Yes, I used to do cross stitch and embroidery, but for some reason I've really got the knitting bug over the past few years..  bit silly since I live in the sub-tropics.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Margd   thanks.  It does have it's drawbacks.  I can't leave them out after dark because I feel the tunnels leave them vulnerable to the wildlife that roams our yard occasionally.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I'm one of those "old folk" but I'll give it a shot, even though I've never participated in any of this.

"Con" is, I think, a short form of the word convention. I think they may have grown out of science fiction and fantasy conventions where people came dressed up as characters in the books. There is a lot of overlap with action heroes from comic books - in fact there is a "con" devoted just to them.

So basically they are a lot of people with a common interest in fiction who dress up as characters from that world.

Truthfully I think it's fascinating and I wish I'd gone to one when I'd still look good in a superhero costume!
Sounds sort of like going to the movie "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" at midnight and getting dressed up as one of the characters and dancing in the aisles doing the "Time Warp", throwing rice, lighting up flashlights, waterpistols and newspapers on the heads to keep off the "rain" etc. I just can't imagine a whole convention of people like that. What would they be DOING? Otherwise it sounds like fun. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such pretty jewelry!! I've always wanted to make jewelry but have never actually gotten around to it.

My current main craft is crochet. The boxy purple blanket that's often in the background of Tempest's photos is one I made. And here is the shawl I made for my wedding:

View media item 285435

Yes, I am very short. :lol3:

Roleplaying is fun. I'm a huge gamer, both video games and tabletop RPGs. Now I want an emoticon of a smily face rolling dice. :D
Beautiful shawl :nod: :clap: I could never do anything like that. A friend of mine does a lot of crochet and knitting - very beautiful but time consuming.

I've loved looking at all the costumes too - amazing :D

raksha raksha - you have a great figure. No need to feel self concious about anything :)

Good morning everyone (btw) :sun:

Status
Not open for further replies.