Babble Away! A Babbling Contest With Prizes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
And that goes for everyone who have mastered embedding! 

Ok, I've got a trick to share with the class. This will not work on a phone unless you are in desktop.

Go to the main "cat lounge" page. See the babble thread? See the number of replies? Click on the number and it will tell you who has posted in the thread and how many times. Click on one of the numbers in that list and it will show you the posts.
Now, see I didn't know that!! This platform is pretty awesome, always some new easter egg to find!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Raksha Its sad, but I read enough news while studying journalism to figure out that it wasn't even close to the truth and was all political and one sided.

A recent news story around here about an ice cave collapsing on a popular hike and one person dying has been completely twisted. Everyone is saddened by the loss of life (which is of course very sad). But the media is portraying it as a terrible accident. There are signs posted all over that trial stating that you should not go into the ice caves. The forestry people issued a warning back in May that said due to conditions, no one should under any circumstances approach the caves. The media acting like this was an accident takes away from the fact that what the people in the caves were doing was wrong and they should never have been there. It was their own stupidity rather than a twist of fate that landed them where they were.
End of rant.

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! View media item 285548I know I posted the Asha ones yesterday, but it's easier to compare with them together.
I vote for this one!

@MagiksGirl   THANK YOU!!! I was nervous because I was worried people would notice I put the jacket "zipper" on the wrong side, lol. Instead, our group was SWARMED by people wanting pictures, and I made the top ten in a few magazines that were roaming about!!! We also got a standing ovation during the contest, because (seriously) we looked pretty bad ass as a group.

@Losna   DUDE! You should totally do Viking, Red Sonya, or any of the ones you want! There are so many tutorials for making faux (and real) chainmail out of wire or foam! A lot of armor we made was literally thin foam, heated over the stove, and molded to the shape of the body part or look it needed. Then we spray painted it with base, and then metallic paint ^_^ all the little rivets and designs can be glued on, or made out of glue! We got pretty inventive when it came to making Thor and Loki's armor. I made Thor's Hammer for my friend, because she was behind schedule, and all it took was a block of foam, shaving it down to the right shape, gluing sleek foam on top of it (making sure the edges lined up, then using a glue pen to draw on the intricate designs, and finish it with silver base paint, and a layer of shiny top coat! The handle was easy... literally shoved it into the foam block (with superglue in the hole), and then wrapping it with fake leather looking material ^_^
Hahaha, with costuming we notice EVERYTHING wrong with the costume and people don't even bat an eye

Congratulations on all that attention and recognition! It's the lifeblood of any costumer: when people appreciate all the hard work that went into making the costume!

For all you costume makers - if you really want to go to town, look up jewellery instructions for chain maille- its the same principle as original chain mail used, and if you put the time in you could make armour yourself. Scale maille would work too
Oh god! Is it where they roll up wire on a tube and cut circles and link them together? 
 That looked sooo time consuming 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going back to earlier posts.  Here is a 25% off total purchase coupon that I just found in my inbox.  It's a friends and family coupon so I don't think it matters that it has my name on it.

VALID IN-STORE & ONLINE

THROUGH sat., july 18, 2015

%

off

your total
purchase*

Includes regular- & sale-priced items.
Excludes Doorbusters & Daily Deals.

Use your coupon as often as you wish,
in as many stores as you like, all 3 days!

Use promo code FRND199 in your online cart

IN-STORE: Limit one total purchase discount per transaction. No photocopies or multiple printouts. Cannot be combined with any other discount or coupon. Reproductions not accepted. *Offer excludes previous purchases; all gift cards; classes; all patterns; irons; AccuQuilt Go![emoji]174[/emoji] products; sewing machines & sewing machine department merchandise; remnants; Simplicity[emoji]174[/emoji] machines; all papercrafting machines, cartridges, dies, printers & accessories; all cameras, film, photo printers & accessories; all magazines; all As Seen On TV items; all Purchase With Purchase items. Valid at any Jo-Ann store.
AT JOANN.COM[emoji]174[/emoji]: One promo code per online order. For online exclusions, see joann.com/exclusions or call 1-888-739-4120.

VALID ONLINE ONLY

THROUGH SAT., JULY 18, 2015

FREE

SHIPPING

with $50 minimum purchase

Use promo code GSCV213 in your online cart

Get free standard shipping with your purchase of $50 or more. Valid for U.S. shipping addresses only. Required purchase is calculated before sales tax, shipping, applicable special handling charges &/or processing fees; and after any discounts. Offer excludes all gift cards, previous purchases; items already marked as free shipping and special handling charges. Offer/promo code can only be used once per person, cannot be combined with other offers/promo codes. Not valid at Jo-Ann retail stores. Additional exclusions may apply; see joann.com/exclusions for details.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh god! Is it where they roll up wire on a tube and cut circles and link them together? :paranoid:  That looked sooo time consuming :jaw:
Yep, that's it. I did say it required time :lol3: You can buy the rings pre made though, which makes a huge difference. A big reason to make your own rings is if you want non standard colours/sizes/gauges.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Going back to earlier posts.  Here is a 25% off total purchase coupon that I just found in my inbox.  It's a friends and family coupon so I don't think it matters that it has my name on it.

VALID IN-STORE & ONLINE

THROUGH sat., july 18, 2015

%

off

your total
purchase*

Includes regular- & sale-priced items.
Excludes Doorbusters & Daily Deals.

Use your coupon as often as you wish,
in as many stores as you like, all 3 days!

Use promo code FRND199 in your online cart

IN-STORE: Limit one total purchase discount per transaction. No photocopies or multiple printouts. Cannot be combined with any other discount or coupon. Reproductions not accepted. *Offer excludes previous purchases; all gift cards; classes; all patterns; irons; AccuQuilt Go![emoji]174[/emoji] products; sewing machines & sewing machine department merchandise; remnants; Simplicity[emoji]174[/emoji] machines; all papercrafting machines, cartridges, dies, printers & accessories; all cameras, film, photo printers & accessories; all magazines; all As Seen On TV items; all Purchase With Purchase items. Valid at any Jo-Ann store.
AT JOANN.COM[emoji]174[/emoji]: One promo code per online order. For online exclusions, see joann.com/exclusions or call 1-888-739-4120.

VALID ONLINE ONLY

THROUGH SAT., JULY 18, 2015

FREE

SHIPPING

with $50 minimum purchase

Use promo code GSCV213 in your online cart

Get free standard shipping with your purchase of $50 or more. Valid for U.S. shipping addresses only. Required purchase is calculated before sales tax, shipping, applicable special handling charges &/or processing fees; and after any discounts. Offer excludes all gift cards, previous purchases; items already marked as free shipping and special handling charges. Offer/promo code can only be used once per person, cannot be combined with other offers/promo codes. Not valid at Jo-Ann retail stores. Additional exclusions may apply; see joann.com/exclusions for details.

Thank you for this!  I might make use of it.  Have an afghan I'm thinking about starting and I'm not sure I have enough yarn for the foundation color.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always feel sad for hurt animals. The cat I saw looked so scared. I am pretty sure that it was hit by a car or something. It couldn't move its back end at all. My vet might give it a shot to see if it perks up, but probably it would have to be PTS if the owners aren't willing to have a paralyzed animal.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Raksha @Columbine I've looked at the tutorials! I've even hung out with buddies while they worked on their costumes. I understand the concepts and how to do it, but I'm just really not good at it. It's the precision that gets me. I don't know why but I can size things pretty well with yarn, but I have troubles with measurements once the material becomes more solid. I had a physics professor in high school who used to say (in a slightly disturbed tone) that he's run all the theories and the only thing that makes sense is I live in my own pocket dimension.

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, that's it. I did say it required time
You can buy the rings pre made though, which makes a huge difference. A big reason to make your own rings is if you want non standard colours/sizes/gauges.
Yeah... so much work 
 I think I'll spray paint some foam and hot glue it instead 

I always feel sad for hurt animals. The cat I saw looked so scared. I am pretty sure that it was hit by a car or something. It couldn't move its back end at all. My vet might give it a shot to see if it perks up, but probably it would have to be PTS if the owners aren't willing to have a paralyzed animal.
 Poor baby! I really hope they don't abandon him and that he gets better 

I'm really concerned about the baby I saw, it was so small, about a 6-8 weeks only. He was in a cage with a bigger kitty. They looked like siblings except the other one looked a couple of weeks older. Baby was moving all around the cage cuddling up to his sibling even licking him. It was very sad to see his tail nub all red and I think I even saw the bone. 

The vet runs a granary (?) and he takes in all pets that get abandoned and gives them away. What I don't like is that he keeps them in cages like the little pair I mentioned. I'm no vet, but I would have at least put some bandages on the exposed flesh and bone in the tail so it wouldn't get infected 

Other than that, he's a very caring doctor and he attends many seminars and has a lot of diplomas and certifications, he also helps out people like me that can't afford to pay a lot for the pet care since he knows we are trying to do the right thing. He's given me 40% discount on spay on momma Grin and baby Wanda with medicine included, I don't think he's even making a profit. I think that after so many years of seeing how people treat animals and so many animal passing away he developed a thick skin for hard situations.

Sorry for the mini analysis the vet's psyche 

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my vet. He is a bit to the point and course, but he is really a wonderful guy. He'll tell you straight up what is going to happen with your pet. I feel that he is a true healer so if anyone can help the cat I saw yesterday he can.

margd

Veteran
Purraise

Yeah... so much work 
 I think I'll spray paint some foam and hot glue it instead 

Poor baby! I really hope they don't abandon him and that he gets better 

I'm really concerned about the baby I saw, it was so small, about a 6-8 weeks only. He was in a cage with a bigger kitty. They looked like siblings except the other one looked a couple of weeks older. Baby was moving all around the cage cuddling up to his sibling even licking him. It was very sad to see his tail nub all red and I think I even saw the bone. 

The vet runs a granary (?) and he takes in all pets that get abandoned and gives them away. What I don't like is that he keeps them in cages like the little pair I mentioned. I'm no vet, but I would have at least put some bandages on the exposed flesh and bone in the tail so it wouldn't get infected 

Other than that, he's a very caring doctor and he attends many seminars and has a lot of diplomas and certifications, he also helps out people like me that can't afford to pay a lot for the pet care since he knows we are trying to do the right thing. He's given me 40% discount on spay on momma Grin and baby Wanda with medicine included, I don't think he's even making a profit. I think that after so many years of seeing how people treat animals and so many animal passing away he developed a thick skin for hard situations.

Sorry for the mini analysis the vet's psyche 

He sounds like a very caring vet.  I had one like that, too until I moved, don't know enough about my new vet to tell.  But I took a cab once and the cabbie told me he used to work for a collection agency and they had a lot of vets who were in trouble because they often didn't charge for services. 

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
      Sending good vibes for the kitty in your vet's office

He sounds like a very caring vet.  I had one like that, too until I moved, don't know enough about my new vet to tell.  But I took a cab once and the cabbie told me he used to work for a collection agency and they had a lot of vets who were in trouble because they often didn't charge for services. 
He does seem to have a big heart. I think he gives odd jobs to very old people that don't look very well in terms of financial status. They almost seem homeless and with the little jobs he gives them (like sweeping the sidewalk, cleaning the cages or holding the pets when he vaccinates them) I'm sure they're getting something into their otherwise empty bellies.

I do try to refer as many people as I can to him so he gets more work even though his office is, I'm happy to say, always full. 

I hope your new vet is as great or better than the last one! 
 It's so sad to see how vets have such a bad financial status. They study as many years and human doctors, put in the time, effort and money into learning everything they can, they put their lives in danger when they try to help animals in distress or just by vaccinating them, they help so many animals and yet they don't get the recognition or paycheck like human doctors. Maybe it's because, in the end, it's easier to pay when you   are the one that's sick rather than "just an animal"

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like my vet.  I go to an animal hospital that is open 7am to midnight seven days a week.  There are five vets and I think I have seen all of them at some point.  The lady is a little abrupt. The young guy is great, very thorough and always smiling. (I tell myself he isn't laughing at me) There is an older vet who is very experienced and explains everything in detail.  A new guy joined who I don't like as much.  He is new to the country and his English is a little confusing.  When I ask questions I always get the same answer which doesn't explain anything. I have started avoiding this one.  It's really sad that I don't know their names.  They are all from India, so I don't know how to pronounce them.

catluvr101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone know how to train a cat not to bite people and other animals?

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago, like 30 LOL, my mom found a kitten at her mail box whose tail was dead. Evidently someone threw it out by the tail because I took him to the vet and he said the tail had been detached from his spine. There was no damage other than the separation of the tail so I had him amputate it. He was the sweetest baby ever and never missed the tail because he was so young when it was removed.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

@Margd  you are so right about Grizzly's face LOL he was like "Do I look like I am politically active, to you?"

It is shameful.. While we have many sympathizers, we also face much hostility. Which is totally undestandable, because tax payers that are supposed to lift our burdon (that's how media describe it) are misinformed and don't know what's really happening.. Only 4% know about the real history of Europe and the relationship between Greece and Germany.

The problem is that misinformation takes place in Greece as well. And low or non educated Greeks get angry and aggressive towards the Europeans and especially the Germans. And they act like "Greece doesn't owe to anyone" ...which is not the case at all.. There is so much background and "bloopers" on behalf of past Greek officials, but also EU officials and commissioners who are trully to be blamed for their actions back in the 90's.. All this has resulted to every Greek baby right now being born in debt (approximately 35,000 euros) even before its 1st breath... 

@Losna  why is Sinbad sick? 
if you borrow  money you've got to pay it back and if that means you can't afford the things you want so that you CAN pay the money back then you will just have to do without. Some people do not understand that or are not willing to abide by these rules and put themselves into more debt (that's why some poorer people have dozens of credit cards while those with more money have only a few). It's that thinking of "I want it now". When too many people in a given country think the same way, and the US is no exception, something has to be done or the whole country will go into bankruptcy. It was not always that way.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone know how to train a cat not to bite people and other animals?
clicker training and "no" immediately after the biting and then put in solitary like the bathroom for about 5 minutes, no longer, then let the cat out and act like nothing happened. If the cat immediately bites again do the same again, it may take quite a few tries before the cat will stop biting at least at that point. If it happens again later or another day, same thing again but you must be consistent. The cat needs to know what biting gets it immediately after. Their memories are awfully short and they must associate biting with being deprived of the company of others, be it human or other animals. Good luck.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting. It's nothing I would have ever considered, but some googling reveals things like:

View media item 285588
Maybe it would not look as weird as I am thinking it would.

margd

Veteran
Purraise

clicker training and "no" immediately after the biting and then put in solitary like the bathroom for about 5 minutes, no longer, then let the cat out and act like nothing happened. If the cat immediately bites again do the same again, it may take quite a few tries before the cat will stop biting at least at that point. If it happens again later or another day, same thing again but you must be consistent. The cat needs to know what biting gets it immediately after. Their memories are awfully short and they must associate biting with being deprived of the company of others, be it human or other animals. Good luck.
I wish I had known about this when I had my boy Sears (his shelter name and he knew it, don't blame me) .  He was a ferocious biter.  When other cats have bitten me before I just went still and they let go but he doubled down.  He gradually got better with time but I still kept my hands and arms away from him whenever I could. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Mani I don't know knitting ... I can't handle the two! I could give you a million if you were after crochet shawls.

Have you tried ravelry? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sea...craft=knitting&sort=best&pc=shawl-wrap&page=1
When I first saw that word "Ravelry" I thought it was some new kind of needle work, like way back when there was a way to do knitting with broomsticks to make it really lacy or macrame which was all the rage in the 70's (I told you I was an old lady!). So I googled it and found it to be sort of like facebook for needle workers. Goes to show you can always google something that you don't know and find out what it is without letting others know of your ignorance. Hurrah for the Internet, it knows everything and a few inaccuracies too, so beware, don't believe everything that wikipedia tells you!

Status
Not open for further replies.