August 2023 Book of the Month Club - The Cuckoo's Calling and/or Educated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tomorrow, tomorrow.... the sun'll come out ... oops... review / discussion starts tomorrow. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
*** REVIEW / DISCUSSION TIME ***

Since I have my review already written, guess I'll go first.

Cuckoo’s Calling:
Although I’d read, and enjoyed the entire Harry Potter series, I hadn’t yet gotten to the Cormoran Strike series. So I was happy when Cuckoo's Calling became a book club choice, as I finally had a reason to read it.

This book was as different from Harry Potter as I think any book could be, which is impressive coming from the same author, albeit under a pseudonym. I was a bit surprised at all the swearing, and actually think that could have been toned down some, without weakening the grittiness of the character’s personalities.

Speaking of characters, I absolutely loved Strike and Robin right from the start. And I was thrilled when at the end it was confirmed Robin would be staying on as Strike’s secretary. Presuming there’ll be a romance between them eventually, unless we’re getting a Mulder and Scully type relationship.

Being a murder mystery, naturally I tried to figure out whodunit. I considered Tony, the uncle, as well as the film producer, and at one time the security guy. I even briefly wondered about Bristow, but then decided that made no sense since he had hired Strike to investigate a death that the police had already deemed as a suicide. When I was suspecting Tony, I also wondered if he’d killed the other brother, so I was on the right track, just wrong person.

At 400+ pages, I think a bit of editing could have been done, as it did get a bit wordy and tedious at times. But I still enjoyed the book, and have already borrowed and started book 2 in the series, The Silkworm.
1692705145163.png

Educated:
I read this book back in 2019, and gave it 4 stars at the time. My intent was to borrow it after finishing Cuckoo’s Calling, and skim through it to refresh my memory. Unfortunately, all 3 library e-books were borrowed. So skimming didn't happen. .

Looking forward to seeing what those of you who did read it during August have to say, as I suspect some aspects of it will come back to me reading your reviews.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Cuckoo's Calling

I remember watch one of Strike's series on television but it wasnt this one. It made reading the book more enjoyable because I could visualize the characters of Strike and Robin who IMO were well cast in the series.

I loved the relationship between Strike and Robin, they bounced off each other and there was this undertone of maybe something would happen between them.

Strike's life was a disaster, homeless, broke and in debt and with no real prospect but a doggedly determination to find out the truth.

Like you rubysmama rubysmama I found parts of it wordy especially the indepth detail of his interviews with the people, I felt they could have been shortened without the reader missing anything and again I agree there was unnecessary bad language. I also felt that the author used unusual and uncommon words and for me it felt a bit showy offy.

Many parts made me laugh such as when Strike found out Charlotte was engaged to Jago and he got so drunk, poor Robin, talk about in at the deep end.

I was surprised John killed Lula as he had been the one to go to Strike to investigate the death and never suspected that Charlie had been killed by him. Dont know who I thought was the murderer, I kept changing my mind but Mr Bestigui was on my mind for a while.

I would have liked to have read more of Strike and Robin together but maybe in the next book The Silkworm which I picked up from the library this morning
⭐⭐⭐⭐

I'll post my review on Educated later.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Educated

I enjoyed the story of Tara and her disfunctional family. Must have been difficult living with paranoid parents who had such a fear of the government. Youngest of 7 who didn't go to school so the only life she knew was her home life of being dominated by a religious father.

She showed guts and determination in wanting to get away from her family where Shawn was hurting her and achieved it when she went to Brighton Young Uni having lied about being homeschooled. It must have been hard studying and working to pay her own way through Uni with no support at all.

Back home after Uni was just more of the same, working for her father and continued to be abused by Shawn.

When she went to Cambridge she had to hide her past from her peers but was awarded a Fellowship and moved to England to do her masters.

Shawn abused her sister Audrey as well as Tara but her family didn't believe her.

A coming of age book telling of the harsh treatment and the responsibility laid at her door at such a young age.

I cant imagine how she felt when she realized that painkillers worked so well the first time of taking them as her mother was a herbal healer.

Sad that she lost out on so much in her early years because of the strong beliefs of her parents.

⭐⭐⭐

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Huh. V verna davies , you made most of my points for me! And that's just fine. For me, one of the most startIing things was reaIizing that there were Mormons who were SO fundamentaIist, but who did NOT practice PIuraIity. I guess, based on documentaries that I had seen, and articIes I had read, I made one of those fataI assumptions. I've read other accounts of fundy/homeschooIed kids, but this one hit me a bit harder than most. Dear heavens, the amount of disfuntionaIity in one famiIy is just astounding. The onIy worse (supposedIy) true account I've read was "Running With Scissors," and I'm not sure I beIieved more than 20% of that book. THIS one rang true, from start to finish. I was horrified for Tara, I grieved with her, I rejoiced as she made her way into the "reaI" worId and found her pIace.

One thing that I specifically enjoyed was the notes, where she discusses how differentIy various peopIe remembered certain events, Iike was her father there or not when her brother was so injured out in the fieIds. I have seen this, to a much Iesser degree, in my own famiIy. Two or three peopIe take part in the same event, but their memories are so very different. At rate, I very much admired that she made note of this when it happened. So many wouId onIy have toId their own perspective.

Because of this book, I did a IittIe searching on "home remedies Westover," and found that Tara's mother is stiII in business. Her "story" on the website is...astonishing, having read the book. They make much of the fact that she was a "home schooI mom," without mentioning what that consisted of, and that she has 7 chiIdren and 32 grandchiIdren.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Educated was, to me, such an insightful book. I am blown away at the ability of some people to battle extraordinary adversity.
I'm pretty unfamiliar with Mormons as there are not so many in Australia, But it was so much more that a story of a religion taken too far; inflaming it all was the issue of living with someone with a profound mental issue that impacts so profoundly on the family.

There were times when it seemed Tara was her own worst enemy, but of course many behaviour patterns are born from upbringing, and she certainly dipped out there. She had to constantly battle her demons, along with her situation. Her vicious brother was appalling, but to be pitied in many ways, as it seems he inherited his Father's issues, and then had it reinforced during his upbringing. The book was awash with toxic misogyny and oppressive, self-serving sudo religion.

I'm absolutely with Mamany on the notes and research, and have similar issues with my family. It can be so very subjective.
I was also struck by the extraordinary suffering so many of them went through, denied any medical help.

I did think that there are so many people who have such horrific lives, but are unfortunately not blessed with Tara's extraordinary intellect; that was her saviour. I found her ability to rise within academic institutions sometimes unbelievable, but it is so easily checked and so I have no reason to doubt that she did this extraordinary thing.

I'm not really a giver of five stars as it leaves nowhere to go when truly extraordinary literature comes along. I'll give four stars for this very well-written autobiography.

⭐⭐⭐⭐

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder why Tara changed some of her family's names in the book but not all. Its amazing what she achieved in life when you think of it. The description of her life is bad enough but the day to day of living it must have been horrendous.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looks like Educated was the more read book of the two. Figures it's the one I didn't get to read. Reading your reviews did prompt a few memories, but clearly I'd forgotten a lot in the 4 years since I read it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone else read either of the books?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, you might want to wait untiI after the September read to make a finaI decision on the book cIub. It might pick up consderabIy when the kids are aII back at schooI. If it does, perhaps a hiatus or "read what you Iike" during the summer months, when parents are chasing kids, and don't have a moment to themseIves. Just a thought. I'm just mourning a bit.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, you might want to wait untiI after the September read to make a finaI decision on the book cIub. It might pick up consderabIy when the kids are aII back at schooI. If it does, perhaps a hiatus or "read what you Iike" during the summer months, when parents are chasing kids, and don't have a moment to themseIves. Just a thought. I'm just mourning a bit.
Appreciate your thoughts, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , and if it was just the summer months that had minimal participation, we'd be apt to agree with you. But participation has been dwindling since at least spring, possibly earlier.

The book club has never been hugely popular, but we did have a small group of readers that would pop in and out as books / themes appealed to them. And that was totally fine, and expected, considering the format of the book club. But by the time we made the difficult, heart-breaking even, decision to call it quits, we were at the point of fearing some month our little book club would be like one of those children whose parents throw a lavish party, and none of their classmates show up.

You certainly could be correct, though, that parents are busy in July and August with their children. Not to mention this is probably the first year since Covid that family vacations are back to normal. So that could have a bearing on the low participation this summer.

The September Childhood/YA book theme does seem to have garnered a bit more interest than recent months, which is encouraging October will be another "choose your own" type month, which hopefully will interest several of our fellow readers as well.

In the announcement message that October would be the last month, we did leave the option to continue if there was interest from other members.

And we're open to suggestions on ways to tweak the format to make it more interesting. So if anyone reading has suggestions, please share them, either here in this thread, or by PM to either myself ( rubysmama rubysmama ) or V verna davies .

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have enjoyed reading peoples' reviews here of this month's books. I've read both in the past, and I just love the Cormoran Strike books. If people continue the series, it is enjoyable! I most like the first 3. I need to read "Troubled Blood" and "The Ink Black Heart," I think the 5th and 6th books.
I just loved Robin and Cormoran as characters, too.
Same with "Educated," what an eye opener, and my goodness what Tara has done with her life. Our human condition is wonderful and awful at the same time. I had to look up all I could find on Tara and her family for more facts and info.
I get the reasons for stopping the book club, but am sad. I've stopped another book club I've been in- just too much- and had a crazy busy summer.
I'll stay tuned for what happens here! Soon will start my childhood favorite- "The Golden Book of Poetry," so much from childhood is in there. It won't take too long to read, and some I have memorized, but it will be a lovely time reading it and revisiting childhood!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just love the Cormoran Strike books. If people continue the series, it is enjoyable! I most like the first 3. I need to read "Troubled Blood" and "The Ink Black Heart," I think the 5th and 6th books.
I just loved Robin and Cormoran as characters, too.
After finishing Cuckoo's Calling, I borrowed and started The Silkworm. Other than having skip over
some grisly murder scene descriptions
I'm really enjoying it. It did start out slowly though, but picked up after around chapter 16. I absolutely love the characters of Robin and Cormoran, and can't wait to see how their relationship proceeds.

I've just noticed on my library website that the 7th book in the series, The Running Grave, will be available on September 26th, so I put it on hold, and am # 20 on 15 copies. So guess that means I need to borrow and read books 3 to 6 before then. So borrowed 3 and 4, and have 5 and 6 on hold.

I think I'm hooked on the Cormoran Strike series. :D

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read severaI books for the cIub, and enjoyed them, that I'd never have otherwise picked up. IF this is the End, I want to personaIIy thank you aII for broadening my horizones! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for our being abIe to continue, but...if not, my deepest thanks, and job weII done!

Can't wait to re-read my chiIdhood book, and share some of it with you aII!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . Its been enjoyable choosing books each month and interesting reading the different comments from people. Like you I've read books I wouldn't have entertained the thought of reading resulting in my now having a much wider selection of genres to choose from. Sad to have come to the end of the club but four years is a good stretch.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My fingers are aIready itching for the next read! It's caIIing my name. Goodness, how I Ioved that book as a chiId! ShouId it be feasibIe to continue, it wouId be fun to intersperse "Favorite Book in (________) Genre" here and there!