August 2023 Book of the Month Club - The Cuckoo's Calling and/or Educated

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For August we’re doing another and/or month, where you have the choice to read one book or two.

One is the first book in Robert Galbraith’s Cormoran Strike series. Robert Galbraith, for anyone not aware, is a pseudonym for J K Rowling, of Harry Potter fame. The 2nd book is a non-fiction one by Tara Westover, who without any formal education, teaches herself enough mathematics and grammar to be admitted to Brigham Young University.

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
1688306925567.png

Educated
by Tara Westover
1688307097269.png

The reading period will be August 1st to August 21st, with the discussion starting on August 22nd.

The above dates, however, aren’t written in stone, meaning there’s nothing stopping anyone from starting to read one of the books right away, if you feel you need extra time. Or if you read a little past August 21st, that’s fine too, as the discussion goes on till at least August 28th.

Everyone is invited to read along with us. You can RSVP by posting in this thread.
Any questions, feel free to ask.

Again, the option in August is to read just one of the books, or both of them. Whichever you prefer.

Both books are available at Amazon.
The Cuckoo's Calling
Educated: A memoir

Reviews can be read at Goodreads.

Goodreads Reviews:
The Cuckoo's Calling
Educated

Lastly, just a reminder that we're reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak in July.
JULY 2023 BOOK OF THE MONTH CLUB. THE BOOK THIEF.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I watched the cuckoo's calling on tv last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Knowing J K Rowling with her storytelling in the Harry Potter books, this should be a good read.

Last edited:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read both these books and loved them. "Educated" was a real eye opener.
The "Robert Galbraith" books have sequels and I've read through "Lethal White", too. I really enjoyed the characters Cormoran Strike and Robin.

And, I've read "The Book Thief,- WOW! Loved that one too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read "Educated" as well, but the Robert Galbraith books will be a new series for me, so I'm looking forward to reading "The Cuckoo's Calling".
Even though you've already read the 2 August books, as well as the July one, do feel free pearl99 pearl99 to comment in the threads once the discussion period starts, if you remember enough about them.

That goes for anyone else who has also already read the books. The book club threads have been more quiet than usual lately, so we'd appreciate anything to help us get through this lull.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read "Educated" as well, but the Robert Galbraith books will be a new series for me, so I'm looking forward to reading "The Cuckoo's Calling".
Even though you've already read the 2 August books, as well as the July one, do feel free pearl99 pearl99 to comment in the threads once the discussion period starts, if you remember enough about them.

That goes for anyone else who has also already read the books. The book club threads have been more quiet than usual lately, so we'd appreciate anything to help us get through this lull.
Enjoy the Robert Galbraith one!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1689618842728.png

Just over 2 weeks to go till August. So giving this a bump.

If you are planning to read one of the books, do like Bon Jovi sang, and "Raise Your Hands"

I'll be reading "The Cuckoo's Calling".
1689619931876.png

And now for (hopefully) your listening pleasure...

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Good to have a choice:)
I was so surprised to find the Cormoran Strike books were written by Rowling.. it's a pretty big deviation from wizard schools!
I've read both and will be revisiting both of them :)
For those of you who like audio books, both of these are really well narrated (Audible).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It appears we made good choices for the August books. Maybe too good, though, since all the avid readers have already read them. .

Is there anyone who hasn't read them yet? If so, are you considering joining us in reading one of them?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I like the idea of offering one fiction and one non-fiction. Some people tend to gravitate towards one or the other.
I'm rereading both of these as it's been a while. :)
One thing I've discovered is, the older you get, you can revisit books you've read five or more years ago as you've pretty well forgotten them. :thumbsup:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 : Glad you'll be joining us in August. We've missed you.
I keep forgetting to search for the new one, when I've skipped a month! I'II try to get in the habit of participating in some smaII way, even if I can't fit the book into the budget every month!

Oh, and I did order "Educated," and it wiII be here tomorrow. AmazingIy, the paperback version was Iess expensive than the KindIe version!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I keep forgetting to search for the new one, when I've skipped a month! I'II try to get in the habit of participating in some smaII way, even if I can't fit the book into the budget every month!

Oh, and I did order "Educated," and it wiII be here tomorrow. AmazingIy, the paperback version was Iess expensive than the KindIe version!
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 you can’t check them out as ebooks through your public library?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 you can’t check them out as ebooks through your public library?
I couId, but I'd have to go to the Iibrary to get a card and get signed up. And THAT is a $20.00 cab fee. AND, if I reaIIy Iiked the book, I'd be ordering it in print, anyway, so I couId re-read it Iater. I onIy keep books I want to re-read (there are about 1200 of them in the house currentIy). The rest are donated to a group that gives them to nursing homes and prisons.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We realize everyone can't buy new books every month, which is why we've read some of the classics that are free on Project Gutenburg.

And a spoiler-free heads up, September may not be an issue for you, in regards to buying a book. Especially with your 1200 book in home library. ;)

I couId, but I'd have to go to the Iibrary to get a card and get signed up. And THAT is a $20.00 cab fee. AND, if I reaIIy Iiked the book, I'd be ordering it in print, anyway, so I couId re-read it Iater. I onIy keep books I want to re-read (there are about 1200 of them in the house currentIy). The rest are donated to a group that gives them to nursing homes and prisons.
Are you sure you'd have to physically go to the library. I signed up for my library card online, like years ago, and they simply mailed me my physical card. So maybe see if that's an option.

Plus, although $20.00 is a lot to put out for a cab ride, once you see how many e-books you can download, for free, it might be worth it.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We realize everyone can't buy new books every month, which is why we've read some of the classics that are free on Project Gutenburg.

And a spoiler-free heads up, September may not be an issue for you, in regards to buying a book. Especially with your 1200 book in home library. ;)

Are you sure you'd have to physically go to the library. I signed up for my library card online, like years ago, and they simply mailed me my physical card. So maybe see if that's an option.

Plus, although $20.00 is a lot to put out for a cab ride, once you see how many e-books you can download, for free, it might be worth it.
I'II check and see. Four years ago, it was not an option (tiny town Iiving. But that may have changed!

My probIem is...if I read it and Iove it, I'm going to be buying the book anyway! Athough...screening wouId be easier!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm about to revisit The Cuckoo's Calling.
If you're into audio and have an audible account, I really recommend the narrator.. They can make or break a book and Glenister is brilliant.
I only just found out about the TV series!! :paperbag: But I much prefer to read books before watching a series. You get more insight into how the producer interpreted the book.. and of course there's so much more to the written story.I'll reread the books before I begin on them.