At My Wits End!

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My adorable little Piwacket (Pi-Pi) is a pleasure to have in my home. He was a young stray who came into my yard last summer and eventually ended up living inside my home by the time the winter snows began. He was neutered in September of 2014 and they calculated he was about 10 months old at that time. I have been advised on this website and by my veterinarian to keep him in the house and he has been since late January of this year. I have a lovely screened and glassed in porch surrounded by a garden and he and my sweet dog Happy (Shih Tzu) love spending their days there.

Here is my problem. To access the porch you must go through the dining room. I have a wonderful wool carpet (8'x10') under the table and chairs. It's about 1" thick. Needless to say it wasn't cheap. Pi-Pi absolutely adores scratching it and it pills all over the place when he does. I am very concerned that he will eventually pull out the pile right down to the webbing. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to stop him. I have covered the parts that extend beyond the table and chairs with "Carpet Saver" which can be purchased in 15' strips. That works because it's not deep enough for his liking. But he just goes under the table where it isn't covered. I was told to put down aluminum foil and that too works but looks so awful. I have a scratching post in the dining room and 3 scratching mats. He uses all of them in ADDITION to my carpet. With all this stuff in there my dining room looks dreadful. Thank goodness I haven't had a dinner party since Pi came to live with us but I will eventually want to. He is a very good boy in every other way and has the run of the house. He doesn't scratch any of my furniture which is a blessing I know. His nails are very long because I haven't yet been able to get him into a carrier to take him to the vet. But I have one and am grooming him to get used to it by leaving it where he can enter it where he can frequently find a treat.

Anyone have any ideas? HELP! Please.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get his claws clipped and put the soft gel covers on the laws that will save your carpet and any scratches is he has to

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he sleep on your lap? I'd so clip his claws slowly and carefully. Just the front ones. Speak to your vet Judy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get his claws clipped and put the soft gel covers on the laws that will save your carpet and any scratches is he has to
What soft gel covers? Haven't heard about those. He climbs into my lap when we are in bed but during the day he doesn't let me pick him up. I don't think he'd let me clip his claws.

talkingtail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What soft gel covers? Haven't heard about those. He climbs into my lap when we are in bed but during the day he doesn't let me pick him up. I don't think he'd let me clip his claws.
I know PetSmart and PetCo both carry them - my cat detests them, so I don't buy them. They look like little plastic claws and go on your cats real ones to soften the edges and protect your floors/furniture/etc. Like these: 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @Pi-Pi....I love your cat's name, probably because a member, here, told me to watch 'Bell, Book and Candle' with Kim Novak and James Stewart.

I think what Stewball means is the 'soft claws' that are glued onto cats' claws to prevent being scratched. http://www.thecatsite.com/products/soft-claws-soft-paws-for-cats

But I thought they were more for aggressive scratching, and your Pi Pi does not sound like this.  There are also mixed reviews, if you google them online, and you still have to trim Pi Pi's claws, because claws can curl into the paw pad.  (Oh, I just noticed that Talking Tail's cat does not like them, so I would ask your vet if they recommend them)

The only thing I was going to suggest was the 'Clear Vinyl Ribbed Runner Mats'...but it would probably depress your carpet fibres, and do not really look great on top of a carpet that you want showing.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ES-Robbi...l-Ribbed-Runner-184014/204590747?N=5yc1vZc1th

That "Carpet Saver" idea, that you are using sounds good, because it seems to be breathable fabric and not plastic.

Cats are not supposed to like the smell of 'citrus', but how you are supposed to use it around carpet, I wouldn't know.

@mickNsnicks2mom had an older thread about the 'steampunk' walkways.  Granted, it may look too industrial for a dining room, but it may trigger some ideas for you, on how to get Pi Pi and Happy out to their screened-in porch in other ways...though that would probably involve house renovations.  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/287232/steampunk-cat-transit-system-article

Not sure if you are using 'sisal rope' scratchers, or sisal mats, but they may re-direct Pi Pi's love of the wool carpet feel.

Cats need to scratch, to remove their outer sheath, and stretch out their front tendons, and so even my cats who have shortened nails, still manage to scratch and pull on the fabric they like.

The last suggestion would be to roll up the carpet, until Pi Pi, is consistently using his scratch poles, trees, or mats, but I know, that is not what you want.

It may very well be, that he will cut down on the favourite carpet scratching when you get his nails trimmed, but I'm not sure, since those wool pile loops offer the best resistance. 

Great that you are getting him slowly used to his cat carrier, and then perhaps at the vet, the vet can show you how to trim his claws, on your own.  Some cats hate having this done, and some don't mind. 

If there is anyway that you can just pat his paws, so he gets used to feeling your hands there, then he may get more used to having his nails trimmed.

I wish I could offer you better suggestions, but hopefully others will see your thread and have more ideas.  

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Talking Tail and Cat Nap. And yes, Cat Nap you are correct about Pi-Pi's full name. I spell it Piwacket but I often see it spelled Pyewacket. I remembered him as he appears in this photo--a black cat. However some of the memorabilia from the movie shows him to be a Siamese. Maybe there were two cats in the movie I don't remember. It was 1958 and I was young. Here is my Pi's namesake with Kim Novak. Jack Lemon was in that movie as well as James Stewart and Elsa Lancaster.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there @Pi-Pi  , Bell Book and Candle is one of my favourite movies so I love your cat's name.  I don't know why they used a black cat in the promotional picture you have there as the cat in the movie was indeed a Siamese, but perhaps it was another cat in the film like you say.   Gorgeous eyes and a definitel look-a-like for your Pi Pi.

Cat nap has given some good ideas and links to check out above.  The only other thing I can think of is some people have used the spray on Feliway / cat pherenome sprays successfully to deter from specific soft furishings.  You spray the item you don't want the cat to scratch repeatedly over intervals OK for the product, and it stops some cats from scratching where it is used.   There is also an article here on TCS, though cat nap has mentioned a lot of what is said there. It goes in to some good explanations for things too.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/problem-scratching-and-how-to-stop-it

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As he finds that particular carpet so satisfying, would you be able to get an offcut of something like it to make into a scratching board for him? Offcuts, ends of rolls, or even damaged stock tend to be significantly cheaper than a bigger piece. You might even be able to get some sample pieces cheaply. If Pi-Pi has an 'allowed' piece to scratch on (ideally in the dining room - you can always move it for dinner parties) he might well leave the main carpet alone - especially as he's so good in the rest of the house.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As he finds that particular carpet so satisfying, would you be able to get an offcut of something like it to make into a scratching board for him? Offcuts, ends of rolls, or even damaged stock tend to be significantly cheaper than a bigger piece. You might even be able to get some sample pieces cheaply. If Pi-Pi has an 'allowed' piece to scratch on (ideally in the dining room - you can always move it for dinner parties) he might well leave the main carpet alone - especially as he's so good in the rest of the house.
I like the way you think Columbine. That's a great idea. I'll see if I can find something similar. We call them remnants here in the States.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I bought a piece of carpet with similar pile (but not wool) to my dining room rug and Pi very carefully scratches my good carpet in the areas not covered by the remnant! Ahhhhhh! I have also tried spraying with a cat scratching deterant by Nature's Miracle which had no effect at all. I then made my own citrus spray with a lemon squeezed into water. This works but only for a short time. It looks like I may have to roll up the dining room carpet for a while which I hate to do. Also, if I do that I run the risk of his going to the carpet in the living room which is also wool and the same depth of pile as that in the dining room. This is not an option so will have to gate off the living room! This is no way to live so I must find a way to stop this behavior. I will try my very best to get him into a carrier and to the Vet where he can get a complete exam, chip and good nail trim. However I am going to have to learn how to trim his nails myself and with enough "authority" that he let's me do it.

He is such a sweet little cat but also stubborn! If I can just break him of the rug scratching we'll be golden.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the citrus spray made with juice works, get a bottle of lemon essential oil. Use that to make up a citrus spray (1 drop per 10ml water). The scent is most strongly concentrated in the oil, and will last much longer. Just be sure to shake the bottle well before each use.

Don't worry about the oil component being damaging - I make up water based sprays in this manner all the time (mostly as fly repellant and other home remedies for my pony). It really isn't at all oily once made up. If you're concerned, use the remnant to test it out first.

These things are sent to try us...

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the citrus spray made with juice works, get a bottle of lemon essential oil. Use that to make up a citrus spray (1 drop per 10ml water). The scent is most strongly concentrated in the oil, and will last much longer. Just be sure to shake the bottle well before each use.

Don't worry about the oil component being damaging - I make up water based sprays in this manner all the time (mostly as fly repellant and other home remedies for my pony). It really isn't at all oily once made up. If you're concerned, use the remnant to test it out first.

These things are sent to try us...
Columbine I have taken your advice and purchased some lemon essential oil. I made up a batch according to your directions and have sprayed my dining room carpet in all the places he loves to scratch and are not covered by the remnant. Now to wait and see what happens. In the meantime the house smells WONDERFUL!

Thanks much!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you you get those cheap flat cardboard scratchy things all my cats are bonkers about them. You must rub the cat nip in. Put one where he scratches the carpet. He's not being naughty by the way b

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love the movie, "Bell, Book, and Candle"....It is a favorite...as is the name Pywacket..

Also loved 'Bewitched' and the name,"Tabitha".................NO, I am not a Witch!! So Far from it.....

I was thinking of even Sticky tape...also called 'Sticky Paws"...you could put it down where needed and pick it up when company is coming over...

For the 'soft cap gel covers', I think it would be easier to have a groomer put them on. 

Glad Columbine, gave you some good advice...

Now I need to find some natural cleaners for myself...

I have asthma and allergies....

Vinegar and water bothers me...even tried it with some essential oils...lemon, for the laminate floors....

sigh....

Good luck with Pi-Pi...

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you you get those cheap flat cardboard scratchy things all my cats are bonkers about them. You must rub the cat nip in. Put one where he scratches the carpet. He's not being naughty by the way b
Hi Stewball! No, he doesn't like them. He has 2 and never uses them. He loves his scratching posts--he has 3--but he scratches the carpet in addition to them. Sigh! He likes the dining room carpet so much I think because when he scratches he gets fuzzy pieces of fluff from it. They're all over the place! I am praying the citrus spray will work. Tonight when I was mixing the oil with the water he was curious to see what I was doing so I held out the cap that goes on the bottle of lemon essence oil. He sniffed it and took off in a flash shaking his head. Guess he doesn't like it heh-heh-heh! But that was full strength. Mixed with water it's much lighter. Funny thing is Happy wanted a sniff too and he LIKED it! LOL!

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it's been a week using the citrus spray as well as covering a major portion of the area rug with "Carpet Saver" runners. He still scratches the good carpet. He won't do it after its first sprayed but unless I spray it 3 or 4 times a day he scratches it. He still does not scratch the remnant I bought for him to scratch. Ahhhhh!!! I really don't want to roll up the good carpet but I may be forced to do it soon if I can't break him of this bad habit. He's so good in all other ways. Here he is using one of his 3 scratching posts. The other two are taller and covered in siesel (spelling?) rope. He loves them too. I am really going to have to get him into that carrier and to the vet this week. If they can clip his nails and teach me how to do it there may be hope. He's a squirmer though when I try to get him in that carrier. No luck so far but the vet said not to make an appointment. Instead he suggested I bring Pi over whenever I manage to get him in the carrier and drop him off. That might be the answer! [emoji]128540[/emoji]

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just came across this new message thread about Mr. Pi Pi.   I followed Pi's original thread, and was so happy when he adjusted to indoor living with you and his canine big brother Happy.

I feel your pain about your beautiful rug.   I had a much smaller, less expensive rug by my bed when I adopted Ruby.  Sadly the rug is no longer in my home.  Ruby would always scratch it, so there were pieces of rug everywhere.  It began to look pretty ratty, but the final straw was when she threw up on it twice in one day!   The poor rug ended up in the garbage.

So, obviously, I don't have a suggestion for saving your rug, other than maybe taking it up for a while.  Unfortunately, cats love to scratch and for some,  rugs seem to be preferred, even when they also use actual cat scratching posts.

As for getting PI in the carrier, here's what my vet suggested.  Put the carrier on the edge of a table or high shelf with the door open.  Then pick up the cat and point it in the direction of the carrier. Because there is nowhere else to go, they will go inside to turn around.   When they go in, shut the door.

That method has worked for me with my squirmy Ruby. I'll also suggest wearing gloves, long sleeves, and even glasses (sunglasses) because the cat will still squirm and the claws will be out.

Good luck.