Asking for good old board magic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After doing some of my own research over the Net, I left a message with my vet about testing Racer for glucose intolerance the other day. The vet just called me back. Apparently he has not really heard of this problem in horses, so he did some research and found out that Racer presents with 7 of the 10 symptoms on the bill for this! He made some phone calls talking to vets in England and Australia where they actually have this symptom cropping up a lot and got some more information about it.

If we do test for this, Racer has to be fasted, he has to be home, (because he can't be stressed) and he can't be in pain. Oddly enough, this week there is a talk being presented in Albany (nearby town) on this subject (open only to vets) and my vet is going to go! He said I need to be patient and wait for him to get back to me, but this can be controlled with diet. There is apparently a medicine for it that cures it, but it is prohibitively expensive, coming out of Australia where it was patented. My vet said that out of everything he has looked at about Racer's founder, this makes the MOST sense!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hissy - I have been watching this thread even though I don't post much, but I have kept Racer and you and Mike in my thoughts and I am so glad that you may have found the reason of all this.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by hissy
After doing some of my own research over the Net, I left a message with my vet about testing Racer for glucose intolerance the other day. The vet just called me back. Apparently he has not really heard of this problem in horses, so he did some research and found out that Racer presents with 7 of the 10 symptoms on the bill for this!
MA that is fascinating! The diet I follow is for treating my glucose intolerance, and the diet my pre-diabetic/early diabetic cat is on follows what I eat - high protein, high fiber, good amount of fat, controlled frequency and amounts of carbohydrates.

I look forward to hearing what the diet is for a horse with this, and am SO very pleased you may have found your answer. As the gal from the flylady list would put it, sounds like you had a "God Breeze".

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm speechless -- well, not quite. Oh, MA, how I hope that this is your answer! Something you can actually DO something about. WOW! I'm all tingles and teary-eyed. More prayers for all of you.

himmymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
racer is in my prayers...poor baby...i was raised with horses....and i know this is hard...keep your chin up hun...
Lorien

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I slept in this morning- I was so damn tired, I just crashed. I got up 2 hours late to feed and went out to the horses. Racer was standing in the middle of the field and I whistled them in. He looked right at me and flung his head back and forth in rapid succession shaking it as if saying NO! With a sinking feeling I watched him as I grained Trav, and still he did not move, then I whistled one more time and he tried to walk, and it broke my heart to watch him try. He didn't move but inches, his front legs were not on the ground and he was back to the founder rocker stance. I flew into the house and called my vet and asked him if this was normal? To be doing so good, and then to not be able to walk? He told me no, at this stage, although Racer should be sore, he shouldn't be immobile! I was instructed to give him 2 bute and wait a bit to see what happened. I gave him his bute, at this point this horse is getting his meds in hot water in his grain pan. I am not feeding him strategy, oats, or anything but hay- valley hay, not the green stuff. He took his meds and we slowly and I mean two tiny steps and a rest, we walked to his stall. I piled up the bedding for him, gave him some hay and fresh water, and as far as I am concerned, he is under house arrest! The stalls (there are two of them divided) are 14'x16' so he has room to turn around and walk and sleep. I went to pick his feet, and he went down on me. The only thing I could do was back him to the divider and let him prop his butt on the boards to take the weight off. I only cleaned his front feet, not his rear. I have tears in my heart when I write this. I am sorry if you guys think I am being a baby. When I have an emergency with my cats or dogs, I handle it at the time, keep my head and don't get hysterical. I think clearly and I don't mess up, but with him I just fall apart. The vet wants me to call him later this morning after the bute takes effect. I just don't know what to do anymore, I clearly am in over my head with this. I just want him out of pain- it's a simple prayer, I say in daily and nightly. I just want my horse back. Pounding pulses in both legs again, and I am just left wondering what the hell happened?

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh M.A. I am so sorry ((((((HUGS))))))

I know how you feel , thats how I was feeling with Ginger
This is so heart breaking and the sad thing is that you cant do a thing about it , what make it even worse . Oh please hang in there , Racer needs you now more then ever .

Just to let you know , I pray daily for Racer and for you

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry if you guys think I am being a baby.
Not on your life, Hissy! Not with the relationship you obviously have with this guy! It breaks my heart to hear of this setback -- especially when it looked as if there might be real answers around the corner -- well, perhaps there still are, when (not if) you get him past this hurdle.

I just don't know what to do anymore, I clearly am in over my head with this. I just want him out of pain- it's a simple prayer, I say in daily and nightly.
And that you certainly can do -- as will I and all your friends here.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, Mary Anne...I am so sorry that he is in so much pain. I can't imagine how upset you are right now. It makes it worse that there isn't more that you can do to make him feel better.

Please remember that we are all here for you.

I am sending all my healing thoughts striaght to Racer (and my hugs straight to you).

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. You've had a long, hard journey trying to get him better - it must be incredibly tough to see him in such pain. *hugs*

Sending prayers for him to get better

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been following this thread but haven't been posting much. I am so sorry you and Racer are going through this and that he has had this setback. I am sending major healing vibes to Racer, and special thoughts and prayers to you for the strength to continue trying to help him. Hopefully, you will get some real answers soon!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh MaryAnne...I'm so sorry things seem to have taken a turn for the worse.
I wish there was something I could do...I feel so helpless to make you feel any better or to do anything for Racer...but I do pray and I will keep praying. *HUGS*