Arcturus' journal: life with a FIV+ cat

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh he's just so precious! What a great time he's having!I wouldn't worry too much about the toothpaste. The main thing that really helps is the brushing action. My cat does not like any flavor of toothpaste so I've given up on that, and I'm just dipping it in a little bit of chicken baby food until she starts to tolerate the brush better.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's awesome news on the shelter paying for his dental work. Ours doesn't help with anything. The only thing they will do is give you a refund within 30 days, if you change your mind. Stupid.

My daughter in law adopted a Siamese that was 9 years old. The day after she got it, she took it to the vet for a checkup and it also seemed something was wrong. They found out it was suffering from kidney failure. They tried to save it, but it was too far along. Within 3 weeks the poor cat had to be euthanized and my daughter in law was out over $1000.00. They offered her a refund of the $10.00 adoption fee. That was like a slap in the face. She didn't want the adoption fee back, she wanted help with the other costs and a little sympathy as she feel madly in love with the cat right away.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I see a new Arc photo I fall more and more in love with him [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ I would love to rub that fluffy belly!!

Amazing news about the shelter reimbursing you for Arc's dental expenses!! So glad...I know that expense was tough for you to absorb. I can imagine that takes a great weight off your shoulders.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's got quite long in the last month or so.
In fact it's three weeks tomorrow that he came home.

Amazing news! The shelter will pay for his dental work!! Honestly didn't expect that, but I'm very greatful. It was a bit of a financial hit having to do that, but he needed it.
Great news about them paying for the dental. Our shelter pays medical costs related to FIV in any FIV cat they adopt out. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Molly92  Maybe I'll try him with that and see how he does. Kinda wish I got the kitten toothpaste because it came with a little brush which would be useful, finding one is proving strangely difficult. 

@Rhondalee  Oh I'm so sorry, that's awful.  

@HelloMissKitty  He even tolerates me rubbing my face on his belly, I can't resist the soft fluff. 

Usually they help with vet bills, just not with FIV+ cats. So I guess I just got really lucky. But y'now, kinda is their mistake that he was in pain way longer than needed. Anyway, it'll take forever but it'll help a lot. 

Morning seems to be playtime now, he's been tearing round the living room again. 
 I never have my camera when he plays, but he's currently leaping around and messing up the rug again. And he just rolled off the sofa chasing a toy. His favourite toy is a catnip mouse that's designed to clean his teeth whilst he chews on it, so that's something. 

I've noticed he's been coughing/wheezing a bit, can't tell if he's trying to get a hairball out or if he caught something whilst at the vets. We're going back next week and I need to drop in to make an appointment today, so I'll ask. If he did catch something, Synulox also treats respiratory infections and he just finished the last of that. 

He hasn't made a habit of missing the litter box either, for which I'm very happy. 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if it would work, but maybe a coarse-bristled brush for model painting?  If you have a "big box" "pet" supply store near you, though, or can order online, I wouldn't think it'd be too difficult to find a cat-sized brush.  

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it does look like Arc saying, 'nope, nothing to see here...'

I would have said that Arc might like the catnip a little too much, but since his eyes are not dilated, then I'd be wrong.

Those sweet eyes do look like they are trying to convince you that it was all that 'blue/green mouse's fault', for messing up the rug.

Arc had to naturally defend the rug from that mouse.

I probably wouldn't do anything with Arcturus' mouth, or teeth right now, until they are fully healed. Since he still might be a little sensitive and sore.

Then I'd try to tempt him in stages, with only trying to get close to gently rubbing his cheeks,mouth, chin, etc.

Maybe tempting him with treats. Then treats laced with the enzymatic toothpaste.(although this may turn him off his favourite treats, so maybe not a good idea.)

Using a q-tip or baby/toddler toothbrush, to try and apply some enzymatic toothpaste on his well-healed gums and teeth.

It will take plenty of time, to get him used to teeth brushing, and not stressing him out, so probably taking it slow, in stages, is good for him. 

Last edited:

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For some reason cat toothbrushes are hard to come by! Dog ones (which are too large and not soft enought) are everywhere, I'm going to look for a baby toothbrush. Yeah, I was more just curious if he'd take it from my hand, and he wasn't impressed. 

We have an appointment next Wednesday for his stitches to be checked (and removed?) and for flea/worm treatment. He's stopped coughing/wheezing for now, and I can't tell if his nose was running or he'd just stuck his head in the water dish. Which he has a tendency to do sometimes. I've not come across any hairballs anywhere yet. 

I have mostly resolved the kicking litter everywhere issue, I bought a under bed storage box, cut a door in one end and placed his litter tray inside the box. It's still uncovered, but high sided and the litter collects in the storage box and not on my floor. And with the high sides he kicks less around. He's still using it no problem. I didn't really want to use the storage box as the litter box because it'd take a lot of litter to fill enough for him to be happy, and I'm not made of money at the moment. 

I started the coconut oil today, just melting a tiny amount (less than my little finger nail's worth) on my hand and rubbing it into his coat whilst I brushed him. It'll make his fur even softer and he can lick it off. I'll see how this goes a few times a week and then maybe move to putting a similar small amount into his food a few times a week. 

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's not too impressed with having to meet more people, but he did very well. He let them stroke him and ate.

This is the face I wake up to now.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahaha. What a face. He doesn't look too pleased.
It's his 'why aren't you stroking me' face. 
Wait a minute!  
  I know I look much worse myself in the mornings, when getting up. 

I think this is more of a "why are you taking photographs of me at this awfully early hour."...or..."I counted the number of strokes last night,...they were not enough".

Maybe ..."that food bowl out there, won't fill itself, you know." 

I think he looks adorable, and quite like you had just woken him up, and not the other way around. So yeah, I guess 'Rhondalee' would be right about the 'not too pleased' look.

Hahaha. What a face. He doesn't look too pleased.
His lips are pursed!
@Stewball....What do 'pursed' lips on a cat mean? I thought it just meant he was 'thinking about something'?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait a minute!  :lol3:   I know I look much worse myself in the mornings, when getting up.  :cringe:   :anon:
I think this is more of a "why are you taking photographs of me at this awfully early hour."...or..."I counted the number of strokes last night,...they were not enough". :uuh:
Maybe ..."that food bowl out there, won't fill itself, you know."  :lol2:

I think he looks adorable, and quite like you had just woken him up, and not the other way around. So yeah, I guess 'Rhondalee' would be right about the 'not too pleased' look. :D
@Stewball
....What do 'pursed' lips on a cat mean? I thought it just meant he was 'thinking about something'? :dk:  
Like he's angry with us like our mothers used to be with us.

Last edited by a moderator: