Arcturus' journal: life with a FIV+ cat

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
                                                                                  And now exhausted after playing

Nice that Arcturus does not hide from new people. That shows how comfortable he is getting.

What a snuggle cat.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, he is one luck little guy
.  Well, you are ALL lucky to have found each other

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! 

Slight litter box incident - i think I must have scared him when I was having a shower or coming out of the bathroom and he must have leapt out of the box mid-poop, 'cos there was a trail of poop. Thankfuly not huge amounts, and easily cleaned up. Sprayed all that floor with an enzyme cleaner just in case he gets any funny ideas. He doesn't like the noise that door makes at the best of times, I imagine even less when he's trying to use the box! Not too fussed, at least I had my glasses on and didn't step in it.

He's been very playful today, having slept almost all night, and I've probably spent an hour or so playing with him. Which is a big increase from five or ten minutes a day! 

I'm guessing he weighs 5.7-5.8kg now, and once his Synulox is all done I can re-introduce the dry food fully and stop guilt-feeding him fancy food. 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That enzymatic cleaner is an absolute "must" and yes, most cats do get spooked at any noise/movement when they're doing their business -- kind of like most people, I'd think 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

That enzymatic cleaner is an absolute "must" and yes, most cats do get spooked at any noise/movement when they're doing their business -- kind of like most people, I'd think 
  Yup, have to agree, with all of the above.

Thinking that @reversedpolarit...will have to find a way to reduce any sudden movements or creaking/squeaking doors. The door squeaking is the worst.

Not sure what you can do about exiting the shower or bathroom, though. I think Arc will just have to get used to some things, in time.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's very happy about the guilt food  :lol3:

Strangely the door only squeaks about half the time, so it's hit and miss. He's used the box fine since then, so it's good. 

He's been quite needy today, he spent most of the night sleeping by my head and standing on my stomach to stick his claws in. He's again sat by my feet whilst I do work stuff, which is very sweet. And just 'cos he's turning into a very photogenic cat, more pictures

Ohhhh beautiful photo...one of his best [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's so beautiful. I just found out that I will be volunteering at an offsite location for my local shelter that focuses specifically on FIV+ cats. It's informative to read your story from an adopters prospective. :) Great job!

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

He's so beautiful. I just found out that I will be volunteering at an offsite location for my local shelter that focuses specifically on FIV+ cats. It's informative to read your story from an adopters prospective. :) Great job!
Sounds amazing! Kinda jealous 

Yeah, there's not a whole lot of info from an adopting perspective, so glad it's been useful.  

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's much more affectionate with BF now, which is lovely. I picked him up some toothpaste from the vet this morning and gave him some with a treat, which he ate happily enough. Hopefully it does some good! We're to go back next week so his stitches can be checked over again. 

Otherwise not much to report, he's one happy, mostly healthy cat at the moment. He gets to meet my parents at the end of this week, so we'll see how he does with two new people at once. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's much more affectionate with BF now, which is lovely. I picked him up some toothpaste from the vet this morning and gave him some with a treat, which he ate happily enough. Hopefully it does some good! We're to go back next week so his stitches can be checked over again. 
I
Otherwise not much to report, he's one happy, mostly healthy cat at the moment. He gets to meet my parents at the end of this week, so we'll see how he does with two new people at
once. 
You can buy soft rubber toothbrushes that fit on your finger. He may let you swipe across his teeth as a game. To start off with.

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can buy soft rubber toothbrushes that fit on your finger. He may let you swipe across his teeth as a game. To start off with.
I'll look into that, he's not keen on my doing things to his mouth. I'm probably just going to dab it on his paws so he can lick it off, or put it with treats. He wasn't at all interested in licking it from my hand. 

He's becoming the crazy cat I thought he would be  
  I've found he's much more likely to play if his toys are up on the sofa, he takes great pleasure in batting them off and then chasing them around the room. He's happy to play by himself or with me, so I know he can occupy himself when he's out which is good to know. He's so far chased two toys around the room and finally taken an interest in a cat nip ball. He's messed up the rug in all the chaos, but I didn't want to interrupt his fun. He's curling up to sleep again now. 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Will have to read the whole thing later. But definitely want my friend to see :) She adopted a kitty a couple months back that she found out (after taking him in for his first visit) that he was FIV+. Perfectly normal little guy! Playful and very talkative :)

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will have to read the whole thing later. But definitely want my friend to see :) She adopted a kitty a couple months back that she found out (after taking him in for his first visit) that he was FIV+. Perfectly normal little guy! Playful and very talkative :)
It's got quite long in the last month or so. :lol3: In fact it's three weeks tomorrow that he came home.

Amazing news! The shelter will pay for his dental work!! Honestly didn't expect that, but I'm very greatful. It was a bit of a financial hit having to do that, but he needed it.

I had to leave him for four or so hours this morning and he's been very happy to see me, he wouldn't stop mewing until I sat down so he could sprawl next to me. I'm working this evening, so he'll get an early dinner then have to entertain himself.

I no longer have guests staying Thursday night, so tomorrow I'll start a small amount of coconut oil. He's really not thrilled with the toothpaste, so it might have to go in food. He very reluctantly took it with a treat this morning and it's so sticky I don't really want to put it on his paws. If I can find a brush I'll try that. The vet only had poultry flavour, so maybe he'll be more keen on fish when they have that in again.