Approximate delivery day for this mama kitty?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good on the pain med dose. Give another half in a few hours and again tonight, and then tomorrow through the day. After third day she will feel better. It's the second and third day soreness that takes a toll following major surgery.

Rats? As in human babies?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pet rats! What a menagerie! Are those your older kittens? Cute picture!

How do you keep the rats from breeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea. Those are our fosters. They were much smaller when this picture was taken. Can't believe how much they've grown. we never allow make and female rats to mingle.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Love the rainbow fence colors!

Is this in your bedroom? Is it keeping the kittens inside? How much are they tooling around now anyway?

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep. It's in my bedroom. I have the fence pinned between stuff so it can't be knocked down. The kittens can't get over it. They wander around but they have no desire to be far from polka. They eat, sleep, attack each other, polka sits on them and they repeat the sequence.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Probably too worried their milky bar cuddly mama might go away for them to roam yet!  I'm sure they will be clambering everywhere in few days so make the most of their little den being secure.  

I love watching how the mother cats just pin their little ones down and they submit - all be it sometimes only for a few seconds.  LoL

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Their bellies were extremely empty and deflated when we brought them home yesterday and now their bellies are very prominent and round. I don't think any of them have gone longer than 10 minutes without eating since we came home. I want to get pictures of them in better light but I'm waiting for them to stop eating!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their bellies were extremely empty and deflated when we brought them home yesterday and now their bellies are very prominent and round. I don't think any of them have gone longer than 10 minutes without eating since we came home. I want to get pictures of them in better light but I'm waiting for them to stop eating!
That's so cute.  Could you hear them eating throughout the night?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The poor babies have not only missed the comfort of their mama, but were starving and likely getting dehydrated from their diarrhea. Is that better today? And is Polka feeling okay after her pain medicine?

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes! Lol. They're pretty loud slurpers. So..... Here is the first solo kitten picture! 1 down, 5 to go. This might take a few days.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They don't seem to have diarrhea as there is no mess anywhere but polka has been stimulating them to pee and poop and then eating it. She doesn't realize I guess that they can go on their own.

3rd-time-foster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just read all 14 pages of this thread. What an emotional roller coaster! Though it's not the best timing, as I literally just posted about worrying my current foster being overdue; but I wanted to give you kudos for your dedication the the love Youve given to Polka and her new foster kittens. It was just meant to be and I'm so happy that things worked out in the end.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hopefully yours isn't overdue! 99% of cats deliver without an issue though so that's comforting. It's very cool that you're fostering a pregnant mama. After going through this, I couldn't do it. I foster orphan kitties and we've lost some but it's different. They come into my home and some need feeding tubes or sub-Q fluids. Others have infections and injuries. We know the odds are against them so if I lose one, it's not such a shock. It hurts but I'm prepared. This was horrible. It's supposed to be a beautiful experience and I never once considered this as a possible outcome. I knew not all kittens survived from every litter and I knew some might be still born but almost losing polka and all of her babies dying....... Never crossed my mind. We only have 2 1/2 weeks left until our current foster kittens go up for adoption. I was going to keep one because I put so much effort into saving her but now, I think I have my hands full with my 3 adult cats and 6 babies. Do you foster through your animal shelter? Our vet has volunteers that foster orphan kittens because our shelter is high kill and orphan kittens are an automatic euthanasia.