Approximate delivery day for this mama kitty?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your daughter is ok.  Get some sleep.  Polka s/b fine for a while and we'll be here if your mom has any questions.  Either sign her up or give her your user name and password.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry your daughter is not doing well. I know you are getting pulled in lots of directions, and you need rest or you won't be able to keep doing for others.

As the previous poster mentioned, the pain from the surgery often sets in more the second day, so Polka may need a dose. The kittens are not newborns so the effects should be less harmful.

I am sure Polka and the kittens will be fine in your absence in the bedroom. Your mom will take good care of them.

Please let us know how your daughter is, and I wish you a deep, refreshing sleep tonight so that you can tackle tomorrow's challenges.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I hope your daughter stabilizes, but as sarthur2 says, Polka and her kittens would be in good care with your mom if you need to get to the hospital with your daughter.  No one will know more how your daughter is than you so do what ever you feel is right for her, she has to be your first priority and Polka will understand this.  Your daughter is one lucky girl to be part of such a loving, caring family.

Oh, and as a mod', let me reassure you, there would be no plan to close your thread while you are caring for your mama cat and kittens. 

Last edited:

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like one of those periods that just about everything happen and demand your attention. When you get past them, then everything calms down and you can enjoy the fruits of your efforts. 

Just hang in there @sweetlynn86  We are all here for you! 

My heart and prayers go out to you and your little girl 

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So much to respond to. @sarthur2 we use prescription anthelban. They will get .05ml every Monday for 4-6 weeks. They have all nursed and have yet to let go. She's on my bed currently and I'm not sure I can get her down right now. @Handsome Kitty I'm pretty sure I have the floor for the night. Polka was trying to get up and the babies were making it hard. I thought it was my chance to move them to a nest I made in the closet. I pulled a kitten away and it screamed. Polka nipped my arm. She's not losing her babies twice. And I'm okay with that. I'll wait till she needs to get up and I'll move everyone at that point. @GrizzlySapien they were the on call emergency vet. My vet was unreachable so I called every vet in the area until one of them had an emergency number on their answering machine. I would never make them my main vet. I was approved for something called care credit today and the vet got paid. I'm so glad I was approved because care credit will make spaying and neutering of all these kittens possible and it will cover polkas follow up appointments. At my vet of course. I don't have an "alliance" in the form of a husband. He wasn't ready to be a father to a disabled child and I wasn't going to force him. However, I have God on my side and that's obvious through the events that unfolded these past 2 days. It's not what I expected but in the end, 4 were lost, 6 were saved and polka is a terrific mom. She has somehow produced enough milk already to give every single kitten a prominently round milk belly. And she's fiercely protective as she proved when I grabbed a kitten. She wants to be rubbed and kissed but her kittens will NOT be messed with.
I have been reading this thread from the beginning. I had to catch up on the weekend posts. I am so sorry about the loss of the babies. Polka looked so sad and I am now happy that  she has the new babies to take care of. It is amazing at the change in her from the picture before the new babies and the one after the new ones.

As far as the vet. I understand wanting to get him/her paid but I would definitely make sure any and everyone knows how you and Polka was treated, not to mention that he/she let the two babies die. I understand you wanting to keep Polka safe but if she wasn't in any distress, the vet had no right to take the lives of the two live kittens. As long as Polka was doing well, there was no decision to make so she could have kept the two as long as they survived. Besides who's to say they wouldn't have made it.

You can also look at it this way. If you had kept the two and they ended up not making it, there would have been 6 more babies who would have perished because you wouldn't have been looking. It's kind of a catch 22 but although it's sad to loose Polkas own babies. You have 6 new babies who you and she can share.

As far as Care Credit. I have one and it has really helped me with my vet care. I use it for my fur-babies only. If it wasn't for being approved for Care Credit one of my babies would have died. It makes things easier and less stressful knowing you have that to help.

I wish you and precious Polka the best of luck and a long life together. You have done an exceptional job with her and now her new babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My daughter did okay through the night. Polka did excellent. Her upper airway is still gurgly from being intubated but she's not distressed so I'm trying not to worry. Got her amoxocillan in her. The kittens are doing great and are feisty! I don't need to clean them up. Polka has them glistening clean. I don't know if any of them still have diarrhea as polka has taken in on herself to eat it. [emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128169[/emoji] I m still in disbelief at the change in her. She's purring and kneading and smiling. She still only wants treats but she emptied her water dish so I'm not concerned yet.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now that I have caught up on all the posts. LOL

I am so happy for you and Polka. From the looks of the picture she seems very content.

I am glad your daughter did well through the night and Polka is doing better.

Maybe now you will be able to get some well deserved rest. Best of luck!!!

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those photos of Polka with her new kittens tell the story. She looks so content and relaxed. 

I am keeping you and your daughter in my prayers. I can not imagine the stress and worry you have gone through. Bless you.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a little sleep. I have to get up with my daughter a lot so I'm used to sleeping in spurts. There is one kitten that I will probably keep. She is the obvious problem child and she's keeping polka on her toes. She's a black tabby.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey there, about Polka's gurgling. How often is the amoxicillin? And didn't you say they sent you home with albuterol? How is that administered?

I am concerned that she needs further treatment for her lungs, perhaps some cortisone? Please call your vet and discuss the situation. She is not out of the woods yet.

Also, Polka needs to resume eating wet food. This should happen within 24 hours of her final vet procedure, so if she's not eating, it's because she isn't feeling up to par.

Let me know what the vet says. Her lungs need to clear! The gurgling is not normal.

I am glad your daughter did well through the night.

Polka looks supremely happy and so do the babies. Let's keep it that way! :)

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has eaten. I went and got her favorite wet food and she scarfed it down. She gets amoxocillan twice per day for another 9 days and the albuterol is given through a nebulizer. She's not a fan but she tolerates it. Yesterday, the gurgle was constant and very loud. Today, it's intermittent and the flare ups last for a few seconds. I called our vet this morning to give them an idea of what transpired over the weekend. He said polka is probably more susceptible to respiratory junk because of her poor lifestyle until recently but it should clear up quickly. The breathing tube probably irritated her lungs and helped her aspirate saliva and the stress of labor and delivery knocked down her immune system. He said the same thing as sarther2, if she isn't eating, she needs to be seen. She has a very full belly now though. And an enormous milk supply. She's keeping 6 kittens very well fed

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! Thank you for staying on top of it! So glad she ate! Let's all have a great day today! :)

Last edited:

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was able to get everyone rearranged and settled in safely tucked away from foot traffic in my bedroom. I have rats so I borrowed their playpen fencing to corral them into one area. Polka is very content. I gave her a half dose of her pain meds because she was moving slower than before.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a relief that she is now eating as well as the KMR for extra nourishment - with the super 6 she will need it!   You are tuned in to her so well, noticing that she was moving differently and getting her pain meds in.

May everything now start to settle so you can all rest up and recover from all the energy of the last few days and nights.  
  Take pleasure in watching these kittens grow in Polka's loving care.