Angel isn't doing well :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poor boy looks exhausted. I guess one should expect that with the last few days he had. Get better Angel, Midi and I are praying for you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just counted his breaths per min. & was 22.  Also a little deeper, I'm sure because of the lumps in his throat, he is having a little trouble, so draws in deeper breaths.  ..??  I think the vet said approx. 30 is normal, so a little worried.  When I sat beside him on my knees, looking into his eyes, asking if he was ok, he was doing the occasional aggravated, probably leave me alone wag, but am getting worried something may be wrong.

Just going to keep a close eye on him for now, & pray he is just resting. He has never laid there before though....ever!!!  too close to the litter box. 

When he peed earlier, (between 6 & 6:30 I think), he didn't even cover, & it was right at the end of the box, like he was able to just get in to do it. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, Angel just walked into the kitchen, & he almost took a drink of water, but walked away instead. He did that earlier, & I thought maybe the bowl was too low for him w/ That collar on, so I put it up on a Tupperware bowl upside down to raise it. He still walked away. He went & laid not to far from his litter box. First I thought, I hope he doesmt need to go, & couldnt make it in, but I think he would be closer. ?? Otherwise, he may be a little nauseous. Don't see any licking going on though. He just tried again , & when he went to lay down, he almost just floped his hind end down, after his front paws bent to get down
A little worried here!!!

Yes, that does sound a little worrying...so I am hoping he's just tired, or feeling hot.

Kelly, with the feeding tube, do you need to give Angel extra water? or does he just get it with his meals?

Maybe getting a lower sided box, for now, to use as his litter tray, or even using a shallow aluminum, or cardboard box...would help him get around to it.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure he does feel kind of rotten after everything he went through yesterday but hopefully he'll rebound some tomorrow.  Of course, I would be just as worried as you are.  I wish you had someone there with you, but you do have all of us.  Not that it's the same but you aren't alone.  Kisses to Angel.  

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk about timing, his ver JUST emailed me asking how we were doing, she was thinking of us..  I copy & pasted my post.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Talk about timing, his ver JUST emailed me asking how we were doing, she was thinking of us..  I copy & pasted my post.
What a relief, if she looks at the photos, she'll get a better idea, too.

What a great vet.

(Note:  I just viewed the photos at larger size, and that box does have shallow sides...so disregard my last post.)

Praying and sending vibes for Angel. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't heard back k from the vet yet, but it is late, & wonder if she sent it earlier, & I just got it?? You know how email can be.
Not sure she would still be up, much less emailing at 10:15ish she has two little ones. I think 6 months & maybe 4 yrs old. Boys.

I also emailed her today's logs

It's now 10:35, gonna wait a little longer while I brush & floss for bed, then, if not, I'm sure I will hear from her tomorrow.
I wish he would come sleep in my room w/ me, so I can keep an ear & eye out, but he hasn't in a while. Plus, may need to be near the box.
Oh yea, as far as water, he may have wanted it for his throat, but even when I held the bowl up to him, h didn't drink.
He gets about 1/2 a syringe w/ his meds mixed in before I fill it more w/ the food, & half a syringe (12 ml) at the end to flush the tube. Maybe I will try a little lukewarm water in his tube & see what he does.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Ah, well if she has young kids, they can create havoc in a second!  She may very well hit send and then been suddenly called away.  Waiting for a reply when you're worried about your boy is never easy, though.  I hope she gets back to you soon.   

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't heard back k from the vet yet, but it is late, & wonder if she sent it earlier, & I just got it?? You know how email can be.
Not sure she would still be up, much less emailing at 10:15ish she has two little ones. I think 6 months & maybe 4 yrs old. Boys.

Oh, gosh, I was so hoping that she was online still, or by her computer, and would get some 'sound' notification.

I have to go read today's logs. (Now, I'm wondering if Angel just feels tired from having more food in him...you know, kind of like us, when we're full.)

What an amazing cat, though. Angel still knows to be close to his litterbox, sleeping on the floor, in case he wakes up and has to go quick.

That set-up you have looks good. Even the larger box has smaller sides, so it's good, too. (Don't worry if he does not cover it, because he's probably too tired, to.)

Maybe just try syringing a little water into his mouth, if you think he's not able to lap up the water from the bowl, because of the collar.

(Not to make you laugh, anymore,...but why does a cat get a collar with 'Bugs Bunny'??  What was that all about? Did they run out of 'cat collars' and used one they had left over from some small rabbit?

I think we have to get in touch with these 'collar people' and design some better ones.)

I'm still hoping that the vet will email back. Maybe she's a night owl, with little kids...but yeah, I doubt it. She's probably tired after chasing the 4 year old around.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, ok, she did get back to me. She said all of his kidney ,liver, etc,, was ok yesterday, so unlikely it's any of that, could just be tired & weak.  or just the lymphoma.

That's what I think too. She said it wouldn't hurt to give him another Tramodol, but I let her know I just gave him 1/8 at 8:00, so has only been 2 & 1/2 hrs.  

said I could bring him by in the morning if I wanted, & she could check him out, but I will wait & see how he does tonight.  think he is just tired & weak. 

If I wake up at 4:00 that will be 8 hrs, & can try to give him a tram. since it's such a tiny piece, & would coat w/ pill pkt, & still follow w/water, but just hate to put anything down his throat the way it is right now. especially if he wouldn't even drink. :(    Maybe it wouldn't hurt to give it a little earlier. since he only gets 1/8 instead of 1/4??? but not this early, IDK, maybe he needs it?? aaaahhhhh, wish we could read their minds!

wish I had a pet communicator for a bestie! 

Oh, she said breaths were normal!!

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you heard back from the vet. This is all so scary. 
  Of course, Angel has been through a lot, poor guy.  If it were me and I was still concerned tomorrow, I'd probably want the feeding tube checked. I think they have to take an x-ray to make sure it is still properly in place. I am a bit overly cautious, though.

I've been thinking of Angel every day. 

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Psycho doesn't always cover his pees. He does cover the poo though. Probably just too tired as the others have said. See how he seems tomorrow. [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]for you both tonight . God bless and keep you both [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Glad you heard back from the vet. This is all so scary. 
  Of course, Angel has been through a lot, poor guy.  If it were me and I was still concerned tomorrow, I'd probably want the feeding tube checked. I think they have to take an x-ray to make sure it is still properly in place. I am a bit overly cautious, though.

I've been thinking of Angel every day. 
Me too, yes it is!!  No, I think the tube is ok. everything looks normal, & especially just getting it yesterday. I think if it were that, I wouldn't have gotten 3 tubes down tonight, He would have stopped me early on during the first I think.  She said it wouldn't hurt to give him another tramodol, but he just had 1/8 at 8:00.

I'm sure it would be fine, if he needed it. He has been ok on the full 1/4 dose, they just keep him WIDE awake. At least on the 1/8, he will lay his head down, so he can rest. Maybe he is getting used to them & can start giving the full 1/4 dose when I think he may need it. I just wanted him to be able to get the rest he needs too, & he can't do that wide awake.  I'll see what time it is, if I wake up in the night & check on him then. just debating, if I should go ahead & give him another 1/8 in a syringe w/ water, in the tube.  It's almost 11:30, I may do that, just incase he needs it. I don't want him in pain overnight. He just looks like he;s resting though. Not curled up or anything. 

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Psycho doesn't always cover his pees. He does cover the poo though. Probably just too tired as the others have said. See how he seems tomorrow. [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]for you both tonight . God bless and keep you both [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]
Thanks, yea, I don't care if he covers or not, I know he doesn't feel good.  I think he just needs rest. I guess I have to remember he just had all of that stuff yesterday he is recovering from, surgery, & a 2 hr. drip, on top of not eating much. 

I just wish he would sleep in my room w/ me, so I can hear him, but it's probably best he's by the box incase he needs it, He's a smart boy, he really is. 

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, ok, she did get back to me. She said all of his kidney ,liver, etc,, was ok yesterday, so unlikely it's any of that, could just be tired & weak.  or just the lymphoma.

That's what I think too. She said it wouldn't hurt to give him another Tramodol, but I let her know I just gave him 1/8 at 8:00, so has only been 2 & 1/2 hrs.  

said I could bring him by in the morning if I wanted, & she could check him out, but I will wait & see how he does tonight.  think he is just tired & weak. 

If I wake up at 4:00 that will be 8 hrs, & can try to give him a tram. since it's such a tiny piece, & would coat w/ pill pkt, & still follow w/water, but just hate to put anything down his throat the way it is right now. especially if he wouldn't even drink. :(    Maybe it wouldn't hurt to give it a little earlier. since he only gets 1/8 instead of 1/4??? but not this early, IDK, maybe he needs it?? aaaahhhhh, wish we could read their minds!

wish I had a pet communicator for a bestie! 

Oh, she said breaths were normal!!
Yeah, he's probably both tired and in pain, because inflammation hurts a lot, but I'm not sure what I'd do either.

You mentioned that the Tramadol gets him awake, but then he also gets wired or just feeling better from it.

I can't remember if it does anything to his breathing, like slows it down, or speeds it up.

I think I would give it to him, but if you think it's too close to the other time, or too strong, then just waiting 4 hours would be okay.

(arrrgghh, yes, making these types of decisions is difficult, because it's very hard to guage the amount of pain he is in and you also want him to be okay from side effects, too.)

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Me too, yes it is!!  No, I think the tube is ok. everything looks normal, & especially just getting it yesterday. I think if it were that, I wouldn't have gotten 3 tubes down tonight, He would have stopped me early on during the first I think.  She said it wouldn't hurt to give him another tramodol, but he just had 1/8 at 8:00.

I'm sure it would be fine, if he needed it. He has been ok on the full 1/4 dose, they just keep him WIDE awake. At least on the 1/8, he will lay his head down, so he can rest. Maybe he is getting used to them & can start giving the full 1/4 dose when I think he may need it. I just wanted him to be able to get the rest he needs too, & he can't do that wide awake.  I'll see what time it is, if I wake up in the night & check on him then. just debating, if I should go ahead & give him another 1/8 in a syringe w/ water, in the tube.  It's almost 11:30, I may do that, just incase he needs it. I don't want him in pain overnight. He just looks like he;s resting though. Not curled up or anything. 
Ok, good. You're right. I had forgotten he just got the tube yesterday. My days are all mixed up!

I don't know what to tell you about the Tramadol, but I know you always use your best judgment. 
  I have also never used Tramadol. Sebastian gets buprenorphine (Buprenex) for pain when needed and it makes him sleepy and very relaxed.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, he's probably both tired and in pain, because inflammation hurts a lot, but I'm not sure what I'd do either.

You mentioned that the Tramadol gets him awake, but then he also gets wired or just feeling better from it.

I can't remember if it does anything to his breathing, like slows it down, or speeds it up.

I think I would give it to him, but if you think it's too close to the other time, or too strong, then just waiting 4 hours would be okay.

(arrrgghh, yes, making these types of decisions is difficult, because it's very hard to guage the amount of pain he is in and you also want him to be okay from side effects, too.)
Ther only effects it has on his is keeping him awake. No, not wired, thank goodness!   Last time he was on 1/4 pill, every time I got up that night to check on him, he was laying down, but head was up, like cats do, & eyes just wide awake. I know he had to be tired.  After he finally didn't need it anymore, (think it was after a dental),  he conked out! He is not a heavy sleeper, but he was that afternoon. I remember I put a blanket on him & he was OUT! Any other time, he would have woke up, at least a little.

I think I will give him another 1/8 in a syringe of water, (half, 6ml) just to be sure he  isn't in pain.  

I have to get to bed! It's getting late, & I am tired. Luckily, I have an easy one tomorrow, just a town house. My fav. client. The blind lady in my parents sunday school class, She is funny.  We usually cut up, & talk a lot while I clean. :)

Nigh, night XO

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

It's now 10:35, gonna wait a little longer while I brush & floss for bed, then, if not, I'm sure I will hear from her tomorrow.
I wish he would come sleep in my room w/ me, so I can keep an ear & eye out, but he hasn't in a while. Plus, may need to be near the box.
Oh yea, as far as water, he may have wanted it for his throat, but even when I held the bowl up to him, h didn't drink.
He gets about 1/2 a syringe w/ his meds mixed in before I fill it more w/ the food, & half a syringe (12 ml) at the end to flush the tube. Maybe I will try a little lukewarm water in his tube & see what he does.
Try a drop of water on the end of your finger. See if he'll lick it off. It takes forever but I'm sure it feels good in their mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.