All The Cars You've Loved - And Hated - Before - And Now

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I've heard Fix or Repair Daily too. I'm starting to think my brother is right about Chevys being better. His 1971 Chevy Chevelle Malibu still runs. But my dad keeps buying Fords (Taurus) that he has to junk every few years. I think he buys Fords because they are made in the USA.
I knew a guy, a friend of my bil, who got his auto repair business started by replacing camshafts on late 70's GM products. It seems they adopted a new, quicker, process to harden them, only it didn't always work. He showed me one with less than 20,000 miles on it, and two lobes were worn down to nothing.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know very little about cars but my ex was a mechanic. He was a heavy equipment mechanic by trade and a backyard car mechanic. I remember him complaining about what he considered a serious flaw in some cars, if the timing belt broke the engine was toast.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know very little about cars but my ex was a mechanic. He was a heavy equipment mechanic by trade and a backyard car mechanic. I remember him complaining about what he considered a serious flaw in some cars, if the timing belt broke the engine was toast.
Those were what is referred to as 'interference' engines. If the timing belt breaks, the piston comes up and whacks the valves , bending them or punching a hole in one or more of the piston. Newer engines have reliefs in the piston, so if the belt breaks, nothing hits, and all you need to do is replace the belt.