advice for rescuing roommates cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leavenomewbehind713

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the likelihood of this woman getting a lawyer is close to (or even less than) zero. In fact I’m more worried the cat could turn into some proxy for her needing to feel in control of some aspect of her life if there’s too much emphasis on some paper-trail to make sure she can never claim the cat is hers. If throwing money at the problem is an option, that’s great, but if not, I would think your best bet would be to gently convince her that she is doing you a favor by letting you adopt the cat.

I would never suggest stealing someone’s cat, but if the cat disappeared would she even notice?
[/QUOT

she would notice eventually but like i know it would take awhile for that to happen. things with them have been pretty weird and honestly we cant even really speak to them right now because of some things theyve done (ill go in depth in a separate reply)

leavenomewbehind713

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the update i have right now is that ive been laying some heavy ground work in getting the cat used to me, and my cats. ive been exchanging scent and even have been brushing both my cats and her with separate brushes to then let them all sniff and get used to the other being. in that aspect things are quickly improving and i think i should be able to start bringing her in my room to meet my original kids sometime this week if not next. theyre all responding extremely well to the scents but i know it can still be difficult since she has never been around other cats- but she heard my cats multiple times and i think theyve even interacted through under my door (about an inch to two inch wide space). things have gotten weird though as the roommates bf's mother (ill call her MIL for ease) left a note on the fridge accusing us of using all of their food, drink, tp and papertowels so im currently not speaking to any of them due to the fact that the note is extremely passive aggressive and is based on literally no proof. meaning i buy all of my own things and the only thing of theirs i used was eggs and tp when i ran out of both and had to wait until payday to replace both mine and theirs that i used. but instead of talking to me the MIL who doesnt even pay for anything here wrote a passive aggressive note and put it over a note i left on the fridge about me moving their plant since the kitty was trying to eat it one night, and then they proceeded to throw out some of our food for the second time now(thinking it was theirs i assume). we have also been in talks with the landlord and he said as of right now because theyve fixed the issues in their 10-day eviction notice he has to take a different route in evicting them all. they also arent complying with him so hes trying to do everything as quickly as possible but it seems like i might have until November 24th officially. im using this to my advantage because if they are served to leave sooner for breaking the lease in the fact that people are here over the lease agreed time, and they have been lying on assistance pw about how many people live here, etc. then im using that to try and keep the cat. i know they wouldnt be able to handle having her in a hotel, and i know they know nothing about cats enough to give her a good life while theyre figuring things out so i think that i can at least continue to be civil to them when i have to interact with them but i no longer go out of my way. im trying really hard also to get some money together to offer as well but because of how things have been its been a hassle with getting anything saved up. i know they would do anything for a quick buck too so i think having that as a safety net will be really beneficial into my negotiations.

also just so i know its not mentioned again- she wouldnt notice right away that the cat is gone i know that because the cat goes into hiding and out of hiding at specific times- those times being when theyre all awake vs asleep. so she would eventually notice but maybe after a few days. the only person who can call for her is literally me and she will come. she even started sitting in my lap when i sit out with her and grooms even my pant legs so i know she is extremely comfortable with me. i havent seen her like this once since being here with her actual "owner" so while i do not plan on and am not okay with the idea of stealing her (i really dont want any chance of her being able to take her back or getting in trouble myself) i wish it were an option as it would make this somewhat easier, but again i dont want backlash and i want to save this kitty not make things worse in the long run.

Wish me luck guys and if you have any other advice as well please continue to let me know!

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Kudos for not taking the bait from the toxic MIL. Evictions here take at least a year, so I’m surprised if he could get them out that quickly. I wouldn’t call taking over care for neglected cat “stealing”, but I totally understand not wanting to take her without her being on board.

leavenomewbehind713

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Kudos for not taking the bait from the toxic MIL. Evictions here take at least a year, so I’m surprised if he could get them out that quickly. I wouldn’t call taking over care for neglected cat “stealing”, but I totally understand not wanting to take her without her being on board.
thank you i really mean it, i found out that the cats have been regularly playing under the door with each other and my boyfriend actually caught the kitty outside of our door waiting for our cats to come play earlier. she have even been following me everywhere in the house and screaming for me regularly too but even by my door. tomorrow we are going to try introducing them all! i thought it would take awhile still but theyre all reacting really well to each other and the kitty voluntarily climbed into my lap twice tonight. it feels so good to have her trust me so much. its going to hurt my pockets but itll be so worth it when i have her!!

leavenomewbehind713

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh and in regards to the eviction- he processed the option of 90 days a month ago. he has been working directly with the county to get her and the family out as soon as possible. and every time theyre a little late with rent hes going to serve them a ten day eviction notice. he also said to let us know if any of them become belligerent or violent and then they can get them out immediately without it going backwards. because the law here allows landlords to immediately evict violent or dangerous tenants. her lease also would be ending in april regardless. the landlord tried to make peace with them and came over to try and talk to them about all of us sitting down again and creating a new lease but they already told him several times tey refuse to sign anything with him. so i mean theyre breaking the lease and also not complying with the law. they for some reason think that they own this house and have no respect for the landlord and its actually really sad. hes a really nice old man

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no advice for now, but I wish you luck. This sounds like a really difficult situation and I hope you and this cat can move on from it. What a disaster for you (and the cat)! :(
oh and in regards to the eviction- he processed the option of 90 days a month ago. he has been working directly with the county to get her and the family out as soon as possible. and every time theyre a little late with rent hes going to serve them a ten day eviction notice. he also said to let us know if any of them become belligerent or violent and then they can get them out immediately without it going backwards. because the law here allows landlords to immediately evict violent or dangerous tenants. her lease also would be ending in april regardless. the landlord tried to make peace with them and came over to try and talk to them about all of us sitting down again and creating a new lease but they already told him several times tey refuse to sign anything with him. so i mean theyre breaking the lease and also not complying with the law. they for some reason think that they own this house and have no respect for the landlord and its actually really sad. hes a really nice old man
Yeah....my Mom has rented out some houses and most tenants have been great but there always seems to be a way some idiot like them manages to sneak in. They sound impossible. I really hope you get this cat.

leavenomewbehind713

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no advice for now, but I wish you luck. This sounds like a really difficult situation and I hope you and this cat can move on from it. What a disaster for you (and the cat)! :(

Yeah....my Mom has rented out some houses and most tenants have been great but there always seems to be a way some idiot like them manages to sneak in. They sound impossible. I really hope you get this cat.
thank you shes really becoming a close companion to me and while this has always been the case with me attracting animals my heart tells me this kitty belongs in my life and to keep her close. and they are honestly the most entitled people i have ever met so its pretty crazy to me how theyve gotten this far in life acting this way. they are like a band of rude entitled moochers who only care for themselves. the cat even started letting me pick her up (something her owner said she absolutely hates) but she wants to be with me so badly that she cant resist! and honestly any well wishes will definitely get me far in this situation- i need the positivity!!

leavenomewbehind713

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There has been a rather upsetting development in this situation. our roommates believe they who are getting evicted and have no authority over us are to be evicted by a lined piece of paper by them. we spoke to the landlord already and know they have no authority over us and we know we are not being evicted but this development has made me realize that i can no longer ask the roommate to adopt her as we are no longer on good terms. they have all been acting quite problematic since i last updated this thread and now i do not know how to navigate this. any advice on what i can do to get the cat as mine without theft would be greatly appreciated because this situation has been extremely difficult as is and is now ten times more difficult due to the entitlement and rude nature of our roommates, and the unapproved parties living in the household. the situation has become so bad we actually bring our cats with us in the day because we dont feel safe leaving them here unattended while we are away even though we lock our door. this is giving me less time with the roommates cat at night and i still want her extremely badly and feel so horrible for this development because once again the roommates cat is getting the short end of the stick. any advice is appreciated!

leavenomewbehind713

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
money is off the table, the cops ended up having to be involved and my boyfriend and i are staying at the landlords until their eviction date is through. i dont know if im going to be able to get the cat and my heart is broken about this.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I am so sorry that the situation has deteriorated so badly. I, too, feel worried over that sweet kitty. I was hoping for a much better outcome. Perhaps you can start a campaign to ask for donations to help fund a "ransom" in the hopes that they will sell her to you. Sadly, they would probably go adopt another "free kitten". I am praying for all involved There are many names that we could ascribe to that selfish family but the ones that I am thinking of aren't polite enough for those people - in the IMO forum, maybe....:vibes::vibes::vibes:

leavenomewbehind713

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any information that was shared with the cops that you and/or the landlord could use to contact the ASPCA about having this cat removed from her owners?
i spoke with the landlord and he doesnt even agree with the way the cat is being housed but im going to call the local animal shelter and see what i can do and if anything can be done to get the kitty out of there. i believe we mentioned to the cops that the one dog was sketchy sometimes and not good with cats like he was supposed to be (he chased her multiple times). but like her living conditions arent safe either. her food is kept under the water heater where theres insulation and for awhile she was only staying back there. and she didnt have access to water until a few days ago when they moved the dogs dishes into the kitchen. she also can't get to her cat tower anymore due to its location and being scared of the family

leavenomewbehind713

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bring up some of the back story of these people to make sure that AC or the ASPCA know that the cat is probably unsafe with them. I am so sorry that this has become such a terrible situation for all of you.
thank you, im going to do all i can for that kitty so im hoping something can be done. she deserves better than she has thats for sure

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's a very rough situation for sure..it will depend on what authority SPCA has in your area. In ours they give many chances to "fix" the issues and do not follow up without a second call. It can take years to get a pet removed from a dangerous home.

I am not a good advisor. My wife and I have both removed pets from bad homes without authority.

My roommate at one point did have a cat she neglected, who bonded with me and my cats. She brought home a second who was unfixed. I asked her to keep the unfixed cat elsewhere until his appointment and she did. That couple ended up keeping him. She tried to get him back but they had taken him to the vet and when she called the police over it they basically laughed at her..she called the SPCA and they looked at the vet papers and said the cat belongs to the couple.

When she moved out I asked her to leave her cat. She declined. A mutual friend told me her cat never came out at her new places until late at night. I had had the opportunity to have a friend keep all three cats for a few weeks while she moved and regret not doing so.

With Lily, she was purchased, by me, for my ex. He never purchased food and took her to the vet. I did all that. So when we broke up, I just informed him that the cats were bonded and he didn't have the money to care for her. He agreed.

In the past, if it were me and the SPCA can't help, I would enter the home and take the cat, go to the vet and be done with it. Not say anything. Especially if you need to go back in to collect any items you left there...I would just do it at that time.

Ideally, you would still offer to purchase the cat and she would say yes. Despite the bad terms. If that's an option still, go for it. Even if you think the terms are bad. They sound desperate for money. If you make that offer, I would not take the cat if she says no. "Hey, I know it went badly when we lived together, but I also know the tough situation you're in. We've moved out but I wanted to know if you would consider me buying the cat from you since she bonded well with me. I can offer X money."