Adoption fee

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
These kittens will have their first set of shots and possible spay/neuter depending on whether I get a job before they are ready. Did some of you guys not read all my posts? They aren't just coming with nothing. I have put alot of time, energy, and money into these kittens. Yes they were accidental but I am taking full responsibility in finding them good homes. It's not like i'm charging $25 to make money...

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

These kittens will have their first set of shots and possible spay/neuter depending on whether I get a job before they are ready. Did some of you guys not read all my posts? They aren't just coming with nothing. I have put alot of time, energy, and money into these kittens. Yes they were accidental but I am taking full responsibility in finding them good homes. It's not like i'm charging $25 to make money...
Sorry Lindsey. I remember you posting that they would have their first shots, but I got it confused with the "maybe" of spaying/neutering (which I completely understand). If they have their first shots and have been vet checked (does that happen when they get those shots? I've never had kittens before)....then I would charge a fee that would cover that cost.

I think a set of shots/vet check is very attractive for good prospective owner for your kitties! If they are not willing to pay those costs, than they probably won't be willing to pay for the vet care they need in the first year of life. Plus, any potential owner who does his/her research will know that it is better to get a kitten who has had timely shots! If you can afford to send them off spay/neutered, that would be great as well!

I'm just opposed to those who say you should never given kittens away for free because anyone will take them - for cruelty, snake food, etc. If you screen well, I don't think that should happen.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get them neutered for $25 and spayed for $45 that is an excellent deal, so my vote would be on having them meet you at the vet when they're ready to be picked up from surgery and have them cover that bill. It's an expense they will have to pay for at some point anyway, and then you have the peace of mind to know that it's been taken care of.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree. I really want to get them spayed though at 8 weeks and keep them for 2 more weeks for recovery before they are given away if I use that option. And if they are spayed/neutered do you think 50-60 is a good adoption fee?

scarecrow2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gosh, here it's approx $120-130 to adopt a vaccinated, spayed/neutered Kitty/cat. I love the idea of being sure they're spayed when adopted. My little BabyGirl was free, but I'm looking at a lot of costs coming up. I need to know which shots are imperative....the cost of all of them is too high for me at this time.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At my local shelter it is $35 dollars to adopt a microchipped/nothing else kitten. It is $100 to adopt one that is spayed/has vaccinations.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say $50-60 is good, but it depends on where you live, too. A lot of shelters adopt out kittens for that or even less and that cost will often cover vaccinations, a free vet check-up, and speutering. 2 for 1 deals are also popular this time of year in an effort to keep the shelter population manageable. I think you might have to accept taking a monetary loss on some of the vet expenses.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

I agree. I really want to get them spayed though at 8 weeks and keep them for 2 more weeks for recovery before they are given away if I use that option. And if they are spayed/neutered do you think 50-60 is a good adoption fee?
I think whatever covers your costs (for vet care...I wouldn't really include food and other expences) is reasonable. You said that the shelter charges $100 spayed/neutered, so I wouldn't really go much over that. The problem is that a lot of time those shelters have deals with certain vets and get low-cost vet care. Unless you can find similarly priced vet care, your costs would be quite a bit more.

It all depends on your area, I guess! I think the shelters here charge $165 for an altered, vaccinated cat/kitten. I know that just covers the cost of the vaccinations/surgery.

I would probably find out what it is going to cost you to get them vaccinated. Base your adoption fee on that. If you can find some low cost altering, you can factor that in as well. Otherwise, I do like the idea of having them meet you at the vet after the surgery, but you may find it hard to get people to agree to that ("i don't want a kitten who is recovering from surgery right off the bat" - I can see myself saying that!).

While I'm all for sending them off spayed/neutered, perhaps the next best option is to have them sign an agreement saying they'll get them altered and giving them GOOD, printed information about pet overpopulation and what heat (for the females) involves. From my understanding, having a non-spayed cat can be quite disruptive while it is going through heat. And male cats who are unneutered/go outside often get in fights, which can lead to expensive vet bills). Any good pet owner (which you are planning to send them off to) would take this information seriously and get their pet fixed.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here kittens with full care and s/n can are 100-125 a peice. 85 each for two.
I paid 85 for 8 month old Mary and 170 for my boys. I would also advise that you want them back if someone has second thoughts.
I would get everything done, screen and still charge 75.
If a person can't afford 75 dollars then how will they ever be able to care for them? You want to feel secure that they are given a fair shot of living a good life, complete with vet care.

I would find out if they plan on outdoor or indoor? If they have small children?

Maybe even find a sale and make little kitten kits with some starter litter, a few cans of food and a small litter pan.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

If a person can't afford 75 dollars then how will they ever be able to care for them? You want to feel secure that they are given a fair shot of living a good life, complete with vet care.
When we got Gus, we could not afford $75, but that doesn't mean we couldn't afford to care for him. We had just lost a cat from a heart condition and were dealing with all of his vet expenses, i.e medications, x-rays, seeing a cardiologist 5 hours from home, ekg, ultrasounds, experimental surgery, cremation, etc... $75 cash up front would have been a huge stretch.

dezkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, I was reading threw $2,000 for vet care? Holy crud lol! Where did you go an expert? Here you could get a cat neutered/spayed for around $20-$40, not my vet clinic. But we have a local low cost spay/neuter. Not to be judgemental. But If you cant afford such a low cost what exactly are you being responsible about? I pay about $25 a month if not more on my babies food care. So paying that once around to get a kitty fixed isnt much at all. Everybody keeps saying thats cheap for a cat, exactly! So how is it to expensive In altering them. I would spay/neuter them and put that in there adoption fee. Also as a seniorized foster mother its an Adoption unless you have a binding Adoption Application. If your just charging and saying "adopting" for a good home, people may get the impression your doing something illegal. Or trying to be a rescue when your not. Just my extra 2 cents. When there 8 weeks of age, If you have a local TSC they sell cat shots for $6.99 single dose. Thats only $7, a lot cheaper than a $100 vet bill possibly PER cat. Also I have Health insurance on JuJu. The only medical I pocket out is $19.95 a month lol. Covers anything and everything. Even If she picks up cancer, or a long term medical condition. All vet expenses are covered. (Sorry for kinda jumping off topic lol). Also while were in the running over alteration I'd go get your female snipped no questions asked!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DezKitty

Wow, I was reading threw $2,000 for vet care? Holy crud lol! Where did you go an expert? Here you could get a cat neutered/spayed for around $20-$40, not my vet clinic. But we have a local low cost spay/neuter. Not to be judgemental. But If you cant afford such a low cost what exactly are you being responsible about? I pay about $25 a month if not more on my babies food care. So paying that once around to get a kitty fixed isnt much at all. Everybody keeps saying thats cheap for a cat, exactly! So how is it to expensive In altering them. I would spay/neuter them and put that in there adoption fee. Also as a seniorized foster mother its an Adoption unless you have a binding Adoption Application. If your just charging and saying "adopting" for a good home, people may get the impression your doing something illegal. Or trying to be a rescue when your not. Just my extra 2 cents. When there 8 weeks of age, If you have a local TSC they sell cat shots for $6.99 single dose. Thats only $7, a lot cheaper than a $100 vet bill possibly PER cat. Also I have Health insurance on JuJu. The only medical I pocket out is $19.95 a month lol. Covers anything and everything. Even If she picks up cancer, or a long term medical condition. All vet expenses are covered. (Sorry for kinda jumping off topic lol). Also while were in the running over alteration I'd go get your female snipped no questions asked!

I'm just saying that there are circumstances in which adoption fees could be adjusted. Just because someone doesn't have $75 at the time does not mean that they cannot properly care for and love that kitten. We had to use a credit card to cover the $90 adoption fee for Gus due to all of Andy's expenses, and a credit card would not be an option for one of these kittens. We didn't feel we should wait to get a new kitten as we had a completely devastated cat at home who needed a friend. I would consider whether you're more concerned with losing money, or making sure that your kittens are going to good loving homes, where they will be properly cared for.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i dunno personally id go too vet the homes but allow them too go cheap i am dieng too get a kitten but cant afford a moggy for 40pound!!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat-bourne

I would rather turn them in to a reputable rescue who can and will have them altered before placing them...Have you called around to any vets and explained your situation? You may find one that is willing to offer you a discount.
It's unlikely that all of the homes your kittens are placed in will alter and I know you don't want to further contribute to the problem so why not either make it a requirement (and expect/enforce) proof or check out another option to ensure they have the procedure before adoption.

Personally, I would find out the cost of spay/neuter and require that as your adoption fee , that way you'll be able to afford the surgeries.
Great answer and I agree!

dezkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

I'm just saying that there are circumstances in which adoption fees could be adjusted. Just because someone doesn't have $75 at the time does not mean that they cannot properly care for and love that kitten. We had to use a credit card to cover the $90 adoption fee for Gus due to all of Andy's expenses, and a credit card would not be an option for one of these kittens. We didn't feel we should wait to get a new kitten as we had a completely devastated cat at home who needed a friend. I would consider whether you're more concerned with losing money, or making sure that your kittens are going to good loving homes, where they will be properly cared for.
Yes but do you think you'll get an altered UTD kitten for free? I doubt It, thats unreasonable. A lot of people would disagree with you on that as well. If you have major bills (and I'm not trying to say your poor or ANY such thing!), but then how are you affording to car for him? If you didnt have $75, you must of already had supplies, Right? Cat food, beds all the items he will need. Good golly to the prices of cat food and litter right now, everythings expensive. My question is, If you couldnt afford it then, How do you afford it now? Also another thing totally jumping off topic lol. If she doesnt do anything to the cats, by all means there not worth a nickle. Cuteness isnt worth money. You dont think people jack up prices for a cat that looks pure-bred? A shelter in Knoxville, TN ask $80 to adopt a cat. They got this AMAZING looking Himy and they want $150 for him. I asked the lady and she goes "He's pure-bred"????? Your a frickin shelter! How can you ask more for a cat you CANT prove is a pure-bred? Just because he looks adorable, or is younger. Thats so crazy its dumb.

The thing is, If you cant afford to get the cat, how are you affording to care for it. $125 wasnt steep, because there no medical left on JuJu. She was the entire package, and It was lucky I seen her. Do you think many people want a 5yr.old cat that may have a few grumpy moods? I think It's fair to ask what you put in, but everybody knows raising animals isnt a profit. For those who make It one are very sad and needy indivials. Animals were made for pleasure not money. I understand her wanting an adoption fee. $25 isnt $75, and rescues HAVE to ask for a larger fee. They spend a lot of money to care for them, give them a break. They've seen the block of the mill a few times. Now I feel like I'm in a debate lol. The point is that she ask whatever she wants, who are WE to judge her? We cant, and Its not far to try and push a point thats going to be pushed back. I could be wrong, everybody could be wrong. But It wont help her decide on the best options for her kittens.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DezKitty

The thing is, If you cant afford to get the cat, how are you affording to care for it. $125 wasnt steep, because there no medical left on JuJu. She was the entire package, and It was lucky I seen her. Do you think many people want a 5yr.old cat that may have a few grumpy moods? I think It's fair to ask what you put in, but everybody knows raising animals isnt a profit. For those who make It one are very sad and needy indivials. Animals were made for pleasure not money. I understand her wanting an adoption fee. $25 isnt $75, and rescues HAVE to ask for a larger fee. They spend a lot of money to care for them, give them a break. They've seen the block of the mill a few times. Now I feel like I'm in a debate lol. The point is that she ask whatever she wants, who are WE to judge her? We cant, and Its not far to try and push a point thats going to be pushed back. I could be wrong, everybody could be wrong. But It wont help her decide on the best options for her kittens.
This is starting to make me really upset, so I'm sorry if this comes across badly, in advance.

I take good care of my cats. They go to the vet when they are ill, they get their shots, they have toys to play with, they eat good quality food, and they are generally content with their lives as far as I can tell.

However, when I was looking for kitties to adopt, I skipped any adoptions that were asking for a fee. If I wanted a cat that cost money, I would get it from the humane society, and thus support an organization that I like. I'm a graduate student, my roommate is newly in the working world, and we don't have a great deal of extra money. We budgeted in the kitties, cost of vet care and food and such, but adding an extra $75 to that, PER CAT (and we weren't about to get only one poor things), would have pushed it over for us. We knew if something came up, we both have credit cards with no balance on them, so we could afford emergency care if necessary. And we knew what we would expect to pay for routine care and necessities.

It really bothers me that because I am living on loan money, and do not believe in charging for mutt adoptions, that it is being implied I don't take proper care of my animals.

Obviously, Lindsey is free to do whatever she likes in terms of adopting out her kittens. I just wanted to say my bit, that adoption fees make me unhappy, and that by charging them, you are ruling out a segment of the responsible pet owner population as potential adopters. I'm sure she will find plenty of takers for her kittens, though.

Edited to add: Somewhat ironically, in light of this thread, when we adopted our first two feral kittens, the woman we got them from actually told me to be in touch if we needed any help monetarily with their care during the first year. She and her husband were more than willing to give us money with the kittens, as well as some food and a kitty crate, to ensure the kittens went to a good home.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So you think I should spend hundreds of dollars on shots/spaying/neutering and not charge an adoption fee? I don't see anything wrong with getting free kittens I got Sophie and Olive as free kittens from my neighbor I also support adopting from shelters. I just want to charge a small fee so I know these people are serious. People tend to take good care of things they pay some money for.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I must confess that before I join TCS, I adopted my littermates, Dexter and Sadie from a newspaper add.
They were free...
but before I took them home, they went to our vet for blood work, their first vaccines, and a flea dip...they were covered in fleas.

They are almost 8 years old now.

Now that I know about people who "adopt" free cats, then sell them to labs as such, I must support asking a small fee for a kitten and if it were my kitten,I would want references.It is a dangerous world out there for kittens these days.
Spay and neuter arrangements are critical.

cat-bourne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you looked into any rescues?

They will likely be placed in foster care where they will be well taken care of, they will have all their vet work (including spaying/neutering), possibly even microchipped and the adopters will be thoroughly screened by someone with experience. Not to mention, if, in the event someone is unable to keep their kitten they are far more likely to end up at the same rescue than dumped at the pound or given away.

Most importantly...unless you are able to alter all the kittens prior to adoption there is an extremely high likelihood that several will end up reproducing (even if the adopters have good intentions...mistakes obviously happen) and this cycle will only continue...your small mistake becomes hundreds. Literally.

dezkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never said getting a cat for free, implies there's something wrong with its owner or the animal. You miss understood that, and took liberty and incusing me for something I never said. Its a simple study, research and facts. She came on here to ask what to put her adoption "FEE" for. Not ask If she should charge or not, so actually your jumping off topic. Which is rude, I never said you were a bad owner, and I never mean't to imply such. I never said you had to pay for a cat to be a good owner, but ruling out cats because they cost money Is just as wrong. Supporting a back yard breeder, is wrong. There's nobody that would tell you otherwise, that getting cats from bad owners. Just makes them breed more, knowing people will pick up (literally) there mess. Its a shame you thought I'd say your a bad owner. I never directed anything toward you, It was a repsonse. Nothing more.