Adoption fee

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know of a low cost place nearby but it still costs money. They charge $30 for males and $45 for females. With the oldest litter and momma that would be $210.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

I know of a low cost place nearby but it still costs money. They charge $30 for males and $45 for females. With the oldest litter and momma that would be $210.
Which is why I suggested the new owners pick up their kitten from the vet and pay him/her directly, that way they go to their homes altered and you don't have to come up with the money.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Which is why I suggested the new owners pick up their kitten from the vet and pay him/her directly, that way they go to their homes altered and you don't have to come up with the money.
Yup, and there is your adoption fee.
$30 for the males, $45 for the females, they can pick them up from the vet after the kitties have already been fixed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

that sounds like a feasible option.... provided the new parents understand they HAVE to Pay the vet ...

Personally all under my roof minus the fish ( and a few of them were rescues) all animals came from shelters...

one high kill Zoey she was 25.00$ and was fixed already

One low/ med kill shelter Gigi she was 65.00 $ fixed already

One no kill shelter Ben 75.00$ already fixed , micro chipped and current on shot plus nearly a months worth of meds

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That option wouldn't work for me as this clinic charges an insane late fee if you don't show up by a certain time.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a good reputation with your vet?

I ran into an emergency situation with our dog last year right before my son's Make-A-Wish trip. The bill ended up costing me over $600. Since we have been going there for years, they were very understanding and I made a down payment, then I wrote them 5 checks each dated a month later than the next and they didnt deposit them til their postdate. It was very helpful and they saved his life!

Anyway, perhaps if your vet knows the circumstance, they will do the surgeries for a down payment, and you can pay for the kitties surgeries after their adoption fees are made.

Just another idea - of course this is all assuming that you find a vet that will alter them that young.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I rescued Elsa, and she had EIGHT kittens, the vet gave me shots at cost. But it was quite expensive feeding the kittens for 10 - 12 weeks, and giving them their first two sets of shots. I didn't charge adoption fees, but only adopted them out to WELL KNOWN family friends and co-workers. I did have a few people give "donations" anyway.

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Yup, and there is your adoption fee.
$30 for the males, $45 for the females, they can pick them up from the vet after the kitties have already been fixed.
This seems to be the best idea. You should try and do this, and inform the new owners that there is a late fee if they miss their appointment. :-)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i've been following the thread, because i still would like to rehome Firefox... my most expensive kitty to date, & i found her in my back yard
. while i wouldn't feel right about charging for ALL of her vet care [she had numerous appts to care for worms, skin disease, etc.], i wouldn't have a problem charging $45-$50, which is about what her spay cost me.
Lindsey88 - have you looked here: spayusa? they have a listing of low-cost spay/neuter clinics around the nation. you might be able to find something a bit cheaper - not a lot, tho.

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

I'm going to give my kittens to loving homes but want to charge an adoption fee so that I know that no freakos will get free kittens. I have heard you should never give away free kittens. What is a good fee? I'm thinking between 25-35 dollars. What do you think? They are almost 5 weeks old and 1 week old now so it will be several weeks before they are rehomed.
our shelter has no trouble adopting out kittens at $75 each (speutering is always done first!!) and they have a discount if you take two or if you take the mom and a baby (two kittens i think they charge $110)

seriously this is not a lot of money- i am on disability and paid no less than $40 for each of my cats, who are are older and/or special needs and they were/are worth every penny.

i have a soft heart for older or sick cats and i think if they gave them away free, i would be tempted to get more than i could afford to care for.

with kittens i think its even more important to charge an adoption fee

i have seen time and time again, ppl get a free kitten and dont ever get it spayed or neutered and six months or so later, the kitten is in heat (or is a mature tom and is out of the house and getting another cat preggers) or getting preggers if its the female... and then the person who got their free kitten dumps it because it had the nerve to get pregnant on them (ok my downstairs neighbor did this last year, then what happens at christmas this year?? she gets another freakin 'free' kitten, that she has not gotten spayed. she thinks she can just keep it in the house and it will be ok, but she couldnt keep the last one in the house, and it got pregnant and she deliberately stopped feeding it to starve the kittens, she thought, so they would die! they were born under the front stoop and only one of them lived, omg i shouldnt have brought this up it makes me so mad thinking about it again! what that poor momma cat went thru and then her kittens died within a few days, it was horrible! i got the momma to the shelter and they got her fixed and adopted out)
anyway! bad memories for me, and thats just the most recent ones!!! it happens over and over and over again!!

i've taken far too many of these cats in to get them spayed or taken them and their kittens to the shelter (no kill shelter)

and here it costs about $100 or so, for a spay, i dont know where you all live that you are getting them so cheap! and i am poor, am disabled with an income of less than $650 per month!!! i never thought to apply for a discount. do they take as much care when they are not getting paid full price? i hope so!

of course not ALL ppl who get a free kitten are going to do this, but it does happen way too often not to be a MAJOR concern of mine

i pray you can get em all speutered before they get a new home!

good luck!! and yes please please please do not give these babies away free!

hugs

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catnapt

and here it costs about $100 or so, for a spay, i dont know where you all live that you are getting them so cheap!
i don't know about anywhere else, but, in general, the cost of living is somewhat less in the south than in the north - houses are less expensive, salaries are lower, etc.
for example: my state pays beginning teachers [i'm a teacher] $
27,320 a year. yours pays $28,279 a year, same level.
a 2000 sq ft home averages $200,000 here, in NH it's $
check out spayusa for low-cost spay/neuter clinics in your area - you might be able to save!

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ah ha, i see!

i know NY and Cal tend to be a lot more expensive than NH, but i didn't even think that there would be places cheaper

doh!!

will check out that link, thanks!!

maybe i can convince my downstairs neighbor to get her kitty spayed- she's already gone into heat several times (i can hear her caterwauling)

and yesterday she got out! thankfully they caught her right away but its only a matter of time......
sigh

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd share a adoption fee situation that I saw on another advertising site, and this seemed like the most appropriate thread. The shelter charged a fairly substantial adoption fee ($50+, I believe) that was refundable upon proof of spay/neutering.

I know it's not the same as actually having them spayed/neutered before re-homing, but it's another option for those wanting to charge an adoption fee. If they're not willing to pay the fee, they probably don't plan to spay/neuter the kitten.

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't read through all the comments, so sorry if this has been already mentioned.

In some Canadian shelters you pay a deposit when you adopt the cat and it is returned when you come back with proof that the cat was spayed/neutered.

So, maybe charge 50-60$ but some or all is refundable when proof is shown to you that he cat has been altered!

cafilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got my first kitten yesterday, and I paid $40, but it is refundable if I send her the receipt for the spay when I get it done, as has been mentioned above in this thread. All the kittens also had their 1st shots already.

I thought that was a really good idea, and appreciate that someone was doing that, so bought from her as opposed to the other free ones advertised in the paper. I think it shows people that you are genuinely concerned about the kittens' welfare, and because of that they have probably had proper care since birth. Its very reassuring as a buyer.