Adopted Cat may be pregnant?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think that's nice of them, considering the circumstances. It's good you are making some arrangements. I hope you do keep one kitten. Mom will appreciate having one left too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New development!

A few of the kittens are really starting to get curious about Bliss' water dish, and will poke their faces in it and take a few licks. Should this be the time I start offering them some wet food mixed with KMR?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New development!

A few of the kittens are really starting to get curious about Bliss' water dish, and will poke their faces in it and take a few licks. Should this be the time I start offering them some wet food mixed with KMR?
Yes!

catluvr101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Read this whole thread, how cute! Its a good mixture of colors for just one litter!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's fine for them to eat kitten chow.

Do they see Bliss eat wet food? That may get them interested in wet food if mama eats it too. Are you making it mushy for them?

They are beautiful kittens! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Last edited:

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good <3

Bliss took a few licks of it, but she wasn't too interested. I mixed it with KMR and warmed it up for a few seconds in the microwave and mixed it all together.

On a related note, I think one of the kittens pooped without the aid of Bliss for the first time. Poor Basil was making so much noise and crying, I ran in since I thought he was stuck somewhere! But no, he was just in the corner. Pooping. 

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww! Bless his heart. Time to show him the litter pan. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Keep offering it to the kittens though. They should show interest in mush fairly soon.

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I showed it to him after he was finished, and he looked a little confused, but I'll be sure to pop him in after he eats and show him how to dig. 

Will do! I may take away the dry food and see if that helps, I would have solely had Bliss on the wet stuff the whole time but we were having a huge problem with ants when we first moved in @~@

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can move any accidents into the litter box in the future so they start to get the scent.  You can also pop them into the box if you see them start to squat, in addition to before and after meal times.

One trick I've heard for ants and wet food is to put the wet food dish inside a dish of water.  The ants can't get through the water.

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You can move any accidents into the litter box in the future so they start to get the scent.  You can also pop them into the box if you see them start to squat, in addition to before and after meal times.

One trick I've heard for ants and wet food is to put the wet food dish inside a dish of water.  The ants can't get through the water.
I'll be sure to do that! 

The ants aren't much of a problem now, we've sprayed the perimeter inside and out with insecticide of some sort (kept the kittens away from it until it dried!), but if they return I'll try it!!

There's one question I have about Bliss, though; she starts to get really aggressive when I stop petting her, and will chase me out of the room and bite at my legs in an effort to get me to touch her again. Is this just her hormones or something? I can't say if she did it before she got pregnant, since we didn't own her, so it's a new habit to us!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Probably hormones in overdrive, but she is obviously craving attention. You petting her may relieve stress for her. Moms get stressed when their kittens get bigger and more active.

I would leave the kitten chow down.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, They are pretty little things, aren't they? Bean is my favorite, he's such a pretty red color compared to his brothers, who are a bit more creamy. 

Okay, so! 

I started offering wet food, and they don't really seem to want it at all. In fact, they're more interested in trying to eat the dry kitten chow Bliss is eating. Is it okay for them to be trying to eat dry food when they're so small? They all have their teeth, but I'm just worried they'll choke or something!

Throwing in a pretty picture of Parsley and Bean that I snapped earlier: 

I'm in love with their eyes! Really excited to see what color they'd turn out to be, Bliss' eyes are a yellowish-green color, but they'll turn greener when she starts purring. 
Those are some beautiful kittens...I am in love [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spent a few extra hours with Bliss toady, and I noticed something... Off. 

She's really sluggish and lethargic. Instead of laying down like she normally does, she just kind of flops over. She isn't her usual vocal self, she doesn't meow when she sees me and she doesn't purr as soon as I touch her (which is what usually happens, half the time she's purring as soon as she sees me). 

It may sound odd, but it almost looks like she's depressed. She wasn't acting like this yesterday, so I'm a bit worried. The kittens have been feeding a bit more than usual today, but other than that, nothing has changed in her environment. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's probably exhausted. My cat was. Once my cat's kittens began to wean, my cat would leave her kittens with me and slink off upstairs for a big nap in my bed.

How is her diet? What is she eating?

Also, what is the temperature in the room she's in?

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully that's all it is! I'll get her in for a vet checkup just in case, if she doesn't improve. 

She's still eating constantly, I fill up her food bowl with a one cup scoop twice a day. Right now we have her on Purina Kitten chow, it was what an employee at Petsmart recommended to us. She'll munch occasionally on the fancy feast wet food, which is also for kittens. 

At the moment, the whole house is 78F. (25C). We usually keep it around 75F, but we were having trouble with our AC and breaker box, the AC kept throwing it. Just got it fixed today! I keep the curtains closed while in the afternoon, to keep it cool, and have the ceiling fan, an air filter fan, and an oscillating fan going. 

EDIT: I also put an ice cube in her fresh water every so often!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
thatonelass thatonelass

She may be hot.

Do you have KMR? Has she been getting a dish a day? She may also need calcium. Calcium deficiency can cause lethargy and seizures.

Last edited:

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll lower the temp on the A/C, then, and see if that helps. 

And not daily, no, she hasn't besides what's mixed in with the wetfood and I'll give her a serving of it about every other day. I'll mix her up a bowl and get on doing that daily.