Adopted Cat may be pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

@thatonelass   i'd keep a close eye on your Bliss. my concern would be eclampsia developing. i don't believe eclampsia is very common in lactating queens, but it is quite serious.
Will do. 

I went and checked on her after leaving out some KMR, and she's back to her old self, being vocal and purring. Her eyes are a lot more alert and she doesn't look so tired. Is there anything else I can give her that's high in calcium? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cheese, finely crushed egg shells, plain full-fat yogurt are all very good sources of calcium. The crushed egg shells can be mixed into her wet food. The cheese and yogurt can be given alone.

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Noted. I have some plain yogurt I'll give her tonight and see how she likes it. 

Thank you all! <3

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bliss has been doing great! She hasn't seemed lethargic, but I've been giving her a bit of cottage cheese every night. 

The kittens are super active, running everywhere and across the house. Bliss doesn't really seem to like it when they leave her, but I make sure to spend tons of quiet time with her. We've been really struggling with the litterbox training, only one of the kittens seems to have gotten the hang of it. 

Tomorrow they go to a foster with the shelter for a few days while we go on a business trip. A little stressed about it, but I've met the gal and where they'll be staying is quiet and has plenty of space. 

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're back! The kittens are huge now, oh my gosh. I'm happy to have them all back! 

Bliss is in heat, so we have to wait for her spay. 

They've all come back with a bit of a flea problem, so my husband went to get a large dog flea product. He ended up getting SentryPro XFT, for dogs 61lbs and over. Is it safe to use? It has a 'no cats' sticker right on the tub, but I'm assuming it's because you're not supposed to use the whole tube? Just checking, before I start splitting it between the bunch. 

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will do, then. It had been recommended to use by a few of the fosters at the shelter, which is why I was confused about the labeling. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
thatonelass thatonelass

DO NOT USE THAT PRODUCT on your cat and kittens!!!

It is made for dogs, it has terrible reviews, and it says not for cats.

Take that back and purchase Advantage II. It is the same ingredients for both cats and dogs, and you get more for about the same price in the extra large dog size tubes.

Use .08 mL on each cat. Use a needleless syringe to measure it and apply it. One 4 mL tube will dose 5 cats.

I went through this with you about flea treatments in Post #29, back in May, with Bliss, before you ever moved.

Are the kittens fixed now?

Last edited:

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Advantage II. I'll write it down on a sticky note so I'll remember this time!! I honestly forgot it was mentioned, with everything else going on. 

No, the kittens aren't fixed. They'll be eight weeks next Wednesday/Thursday, and the shelter used to put getting the animals fixed on the responsibility of those adopting and give them vouchers, which is why Bliss was not fixed when we got her. They did just move to a larger facility, so the policy may have changed, but they weren't giving me much information last I visited. I go next week to the new shelter to get them checkups and dewormer, the like, so I'll double check if that's the same!