Accidental pregnancy

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yay! The kittens are here! You think she has one left? I thought Liz was done and out popped another lol. Their tummy may feel hard even after they've finished, until things shrink back down in there. Glad they're here! Congrats! :clap: :hyper:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

britty93

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'll leave her be. She is sleeping right now. They're all finding their place on mom, but the second one found its spot, and is asleep. And that one meows like crazy :) And yeah, we think we felt a kitten but we could be wrong. And thank you! I'm so glad they're here and everything went smoothly. Thank you everyone for your advice while she was pregnant. 

britty93

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me too. And she does not appear to have a fourth one. She's breathing normally, and no more contractions. Everyone's nursing now. I'm going to give her some tuna when she wakes up as a special treat.

britty93

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I've always heard that you can wean kittens at 6-8 weeks. I just saw someone state on another thread, that it's 10-12 weeks. I'm confused. Which one is it? Which one would be best for the kittens?

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I've always heard that you can wean kittens at 6-8 weeks. I just saw someone state on another thread, that it's 10-12 weeks. I'm confused. Which one is it? Which one would be best for the kittens?
Weaning should happen at 6-8 weeks but kittens should be kept with their mothers until 10-12 weeks so that they can learn things like bite inhibition or their "kitty manners" so to speak.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Weaning is really a process and it's different for each litter. Some moms are done at 5 weeks and others nurse much longer. Mine are 8 weeks and eating wet and dry food, but still nurse when mom lets them. Kittens learn so much between 6 and 10 weeks so if you can keep them for 10-12 weeks it's preferred. Not always possible though.

britty93

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sorry for all the pictures, I'm just so proud of Little Boo. They're doing great. When we weighed them yesterday, we were able to find out the sex of them. Two boys, one girl. The girl we believe is a tortie like mama. They are eating like champs, and she only leaves them to eat, drink, or use the litter box. We attempted to move them to the closet after she got some rest. She wanted no part in that. She grabbed one of them, and moved it back to our bed, so we moved the other two for her. We put them in a basket on our bed. I have blankets in it and have all the holes covered so they can't get stuck in one.

britty93

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weaning is really a process and it's different for each litter. Some moms are done at 5 weeks and others nurse much longer. Mine are 8 weeks and eating wet and dry food, but still nurse when mom lets them. Kittens learn so much between 6 and 10 weeks so if you can keep them for 10-12 weeks it's preferred. Not always possible though.
Ok, so it just really depends on Little Boo on weaning. We can keep them for the 10-12 weeks. I just wanted to make sure they're with her for the proper amount of time.

britty93

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weaning should happen at 6-8 weeks but kittens should be kept with their mothers until 10-12 weeks so that they can learn things like bite inhibition or their "kitty manners" so to speak.
Thank you. I just want what's best for them. That way they get everything they need. We will be keeping them for 10-12 weeks. We're keeping the third one. 

britty93

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I really need a new camera. But she's doing great. Her ears and paws felt a little warm yesterday, so I kept a close eye on her, but today she feels normal. She's taking great care of the babies. They barely cry, and that's really only when she accidentally sits on them, but she moves immediately. They're still on my bed. I have no idea why, but she feels comfortable there, and that's ok!

britty93

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't updated in so long. The kittens are all healthy and super playful. Little Boo isn't doing so great. She got out today, and got stung by a bee. I have no idea how she got out. The vet said her prognosis is guarded. He told us to bring her back in or call the emergency number, if she gets worse.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
britty93 britty93

Oh, my goodness! Poor kitty!

What did the vet give her for the bee sting? Benadryl? I imagine it's very painful!

Is she able to eat and drink?

Where on her body is the bee sting?

britty93

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe he gave her Benadryl. I think he gave her something else too, but I can't remember what it was. She has three on her belly, and five on her back. He thinks she got into a bees nest. He was able to get the stingers out, there were only three. She's drinking, but hasn't eaten all that much. She won't let the kittens nurse, I can't say that I blame her though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
britty93 britty93

Oh my word! 8 stings! That's terrible! She's probably going to need more medicine tomorrow. She may also need a painkiller. I think you should take her back in tomorrow so they can check on her and dose her up again. This is really frightening!

I was stung Sunday by a wasp and my arm has been awful - red, swollen, sore. I cannot imagine being the size of a cat and getting stung 8 times. I've used ice, Aleve, cortisone, and benadryl, and 4 days later my arm is still swollen and bothering me.

Make sure she does not dehydrate. I feel so badly for her.

I sure hope she pulls through this! Poor mama kitty! [emoji]128533[/emoji]

Please keep us updated!

Last edited:

britty93

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel awful about it. I found her in the yard when I went to look for her, and she wasn't doing well at all. I'll call the vet first thing in the morning then. She's resting on my bed right now. I'm making sure to keep her water bowl completely full. The vet said the same thing. Keep her hydrated. We have an appointment on Friday for her, but I'll call anyway. I'm just really worried about her. I don't know what I'd do if I lost her. The worst one, is on her right hip bone. It's severely swollen.