3 Week Old Kitten

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting a giardia test today, just to check.
If it's not that I'll look at other options with the vet..poor Amara...back in the care basket
The only problem with either the Giardia or Coccidia test is that it almost never shows up with just one sample.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep, I was going to say the same thing - nothing may show up. I would start the kitten on meds regardless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got 2 tests and a rule is to take multiple stool samples. I just mix them all together and take a spoon from that. Disgusting, it stinks but I gotta do it. I don't want to start her on meds before I know as it's so hard on the liver. I remember Small Fry's glowing pee and yellow glow over her body.
Amara is even younger that Small Fry was.
She's oblivious I'm so worried about her, just going about her usual business of playing, running and cuddling

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't stress yourself. My kittens were somewhere around 12-14 days old when they got the yellow runny diarrhea. They were put on Albon for 5 days. When there was no change, the shelter put them on 7 days on Panacur and 10 days of Amoxicillin. They are now 4 months and are just fine. No liver damage at all. I just made sure to give them probiotics 2x's daily (with meals) for 5 days after the meds were done.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amara's diarrea seemed to be nutritional. I stopped feeding that wet food. However, now she will not eat anything except her milk. She'll run into her pen with Dotty, sniff the bowl and wants out. This morning I fed some new kitten kibble and as long as it was 1 pellet(?) she would eat, but not a minute later she threw up. She then had her milk and that stayed down.
I weighed her this morning and she is 1155 grams. On July 24th she weighed 1016.
I'm worried about her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At least she is gaining weight.

Have you tried softening Purina kitten chow with kitten formula? My kittens loved that! It's very soft and milky once it's soaked.

Last edited:

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've tried different kittenchow. Iams is definately not a favourite, then I've got from Lidl(coshida) and yesterday I tried the home brand from Jumbo(Dutch supermarket) and those are very tiny pellets. The wet food from that same supermarket seemed to be giving her the diarrea.
I got wet food specifically for kittens by Whiskas and Dotty loves that, but Amara hates it.
So now I'm feeding pate from yet another supermarket and that seems to go in.
They're very energetic but Amara is just scruffy looking and sometimes it looks as though she's not feeling too well.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get Purina brands? Something like One or even Kitten Chow.
When mine were that age they wouldn't touch Wellness Kitten, but loved Purina One and Kitten Chow.
They even liked the Meow Mix Kitten that the shelter provided.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have Cat Chow kitten at the pet stores. Package looks nothing like kitten chow but is it comparable?

Is it normal for hand reared kittens to be soooo picky? Or have I spoiled little Amara:doh:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably a little of both. lol
Mine wouldn't drink the KMR unless mixed with goats milk. Once weaned, the ate pate just fine, but now they only want the gravy lovers (FF)
When I was first transitioning them to dry (mixed with goats milk), they would eat the stuff that the shelter gave. But soon would only eat the Purina One Kitten.

You just have to find something Amara likes.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, I brought her milk down a notch, fed her pate with dry kittenkibble and a bit of coffee cream and she licked her bowl out twice now. :vibes:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the coffee creamer is dairy, don't feed that. Cat's are lactose intolerant.

Edit: I'm glad to hear she's eating and that you found something she likes.
You can get goats milk at the store to replace the coffee cream with. This will be a much better option.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Went to the vet today and her bowels are irritated. I started her on metacam yesterday and they said to continue with that and also gave me finidiar for her and rc gastro intestinal.
Also going to get those stool samples and test her this week...should have done already but couldn't get good samples:oops: