3 Week Old Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitty milk by Beaphar.

Amara needs to poo but she's not going/responding to my stimulating. I keep seeing a little poo and then she pulls it back in. How can I help her best? I read somewhere to add a bit of coffee cream to the milk.

Today she got hungry about 2 hours after her noon bottle and after that she went back to 4 hours, but it took about 30 minutes for her to down the bottle(12 cc). She took a sip, plays, then another sip and then she plays and maybe a sip, then complete loss of interest. Normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Add a couple of drops of olive oil to her bottles. That should help her to poop. :)

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely add the Olive Oil, formula can be constipating.

As for stimulating, try different tactics. It's okay to stimulate them on their back at first so you can learn how to best do it, it's easier to see what you're doing. I used a damp warm kleenex at first and that worked for a while until he got a bit older, then I had to switch to a warm, WET washcloth. He always eliminated when I had to wash his bum, I think a combination of the warm running water and slippery soap helped. Babycats don't always go every 24 hours, up to 36 hrs is normal according to my vet. For a while, mine was only going every 48.

Good Luck and keep us updated. She's adorable!

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amara is growing up.....

She was flat out refusing the bottle at her second and 3rd feed, had to syringe feed her a bit or she didn't get anything and that would throw the whole schedule off. Then for her fourth feed, I put a little saucer down and squirted the milk on that and lo and behold, she drank. The whole feed from a saucer.
Her fifth feed she wanted bottle again, but she's learning to eat like a big kitty.

Pooping is going well. Regular poos but she doesn't always want to. Patience is an issue haha

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As of yesterday, she weighs half a kilo:clap:.
Today she was half drinking from the bottle or from a saucer with wet kibble, she even ate some kibble. I'm thinking she'll need a kittylitter soon but the litter we have is absorbent and I'm worried she'll eat it. Should I use a different litter or just try with our own?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use non-clumping litter in the beginning. If she is trying food then it's time to begin putting her in the litter pan before and after meals.

It sounds like the eating is going well. :)

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are having a heatwave for the next week with temperatures going up to 30 °C. Do I need to do something extra for Amara? Put a bowl of water in there or something. It's pretty cool in the living room but just to be on the safe side

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amara is over 600 grams. She pees in the litterbox and today she also pood. :clap:
However she threw up the kibble she had with her milk. When and how can I get her used to regular food? She still gets fed milk 6 times a day, 12-15 cc depending on how hungry she is.
She also started playing with the big cats but it's mostly fake attacks. When for example Thirteen gets too close she runs off. Funny kitten:redheartpump:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Leave kitten chow out for her to graze on, and offer her wet food before she drinks her milk.

She is on the cusp of weaning and should transition soon! :)

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also offer her some baby food (chicken or turkey the plain kind) I have found my kittens LOVE this stuff. It is very smelly. lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, Gerber turkey or chicken baby food is excellent for weaning! :)

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amara weighed 713 yesterday, she still gets bottlefed 6 times a day with 4 moments of soft food. I put kibble in her Kittenhome but I have to keep an eye out. The bigger cats like to go in for a nibble. She also has a friend now but I'll introduce her properly

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor Amara is not feeling well. Her front leg is extremely sore, she purs but swishes her tail. She'll hardly eat, I'm force feeding the milk a bit but touch is so painful...

Look at that poor face
IMG_20170705_081505.jpg

And Dotty tries to get her to play..

I have an appointment with the vet so updating later

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She was running a fever but no fracture. She must have sprained it pretty badly. She had 2 injections and I got some drops for at home.
He had a look at Dotty and he agreed with me that her legs seemed shorter than usual. We'll see how she grows.
Amara weighed round 700 and Dotty hit the 1000 grams. I've been feeding her a bit of kittenmilk whenever I feed Amara so...:cool2:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully the meds will help. It's good you saw the vet. :)

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was really worried she might have had a fracture because she just wouldn't put any weight on her front leg and she meowed out of pain whenever I picked her up.

She still won't drink her milk, she is munching on her wet food but slowly. She's also very warm still. I'm starting the drops first thing tomorrow, I'm up with them around 4:30 cet(then off to drive my paperround)

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They gave her novacam and noroclav and synulox drops for 10 days. She did not like them, salivating. I'll mix them with milk this evening