2 week old kitten losing weight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I am trying not to handle them too much or weight them too much, but I feel like I constantly want to weigh them to make sure they arent losing weight..

Plus I wanna keep their eyes as clean as I can without wiping too much

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wipe their eyes as needed with a warm, damp cloth. You can phone tractor supply and make sure they have the terramycin.

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can I wipe their eyes with wet "cotton rounds" like cotton pads?

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Or a warp damp tea bag? Ive heard that was good

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll just do warm water with cotton pads then..thanks for everyone's help :)

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

I called all my local tractor supply stores and everyone was out of stock of the terramycin BUT luckily, we have a local owned pet feed store (its a vet/grooming/pet supply's & feed store) and they said they have some and will sell it to me over the counter and I was so excited! So we are going to get ointment for my poor baby's eyes, and I'm hoping that's the only problem they have :D

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! Please let us know when you get it and start using it. You'll use it twice a day for a week. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will let you know, and thank you! :)
I actually feel way more comfortable getting it from an actual like vet place

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
UPDATE:

I called all my local tractor supply stores and everyone was out of stock of the terramycin BUT luckily, we have a local owned pet feed store (its a vet/grooming/pet supply's & feed store) and they said they have some and will sell it to me over the counter and I was so excited! So we are going to get ointment for my poor baby's eyes, and I'm hoping that's the only problem they have
That's good to know! I didn't know it's over the counter! Thank you! I have one cat who gets allergies and the vet has me put this in her eye when it's acting up. It's not infected-they showed me what to look for-it's more like dry eye but the ointment gives her relief=this usually goes away in mid May after stuff has bloomed.

I am glad you can treat their eyes-remember to wash your hands good in between treating them so you don't spread it-also don't let the tip touch the eye. Youtube has some videos where they show how to get it in the eye. My vet showed me how to pull down the lower eyelid and put it in the pocket that's formed. I seemed to have an easier time applying this way but I know kittens eyes are smaller. Just as long as you don't touch the eye and carry it to the next baby. I tried to search for an image to show what I am talking about and I can't find one...Keep us posted on these darlings!

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't know they sold it iver the counter either I was so happy! Our last litter we had I had the same stuff but had to take them to the vet, so I'm happy I found it over counter :D

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You're lucky your vet showed you. When I got Indy the adoption agency sent an eye ointment for her but there was no instructions what so ever with it.

Later my vet told me to stop using it because Indy's eye was tearing even more from using it.

Turns out she just has a structural abnormality in her nasolacrimal duct. So the ointment just made the tearing worse because it was irritating her eyeball.

Last edited:

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That so horrible to hear! The vet place I went to I'd never been to before and they said they didnt have any terramycin but the vet gave m something similar an still an anti bacterial, an he said they don't normally just sell it over counter but they did for ne bc I explained the situation

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Terramycin is readily available without a prescription online and at tractor supply stores. Vets will normally only sell it if you are an established customer, so you got lucky!

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah the vet was super nice I was so thankful! They saved me cause I called tracor supplies by me and neither store I called had any in stock.

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have three kittens almost 3 weeks old, they've all been growing and gaining weight normally, aside from one we lost about a week ago (rip my baby.) And recently they had aome eye crustys so I got them some ointment and they've been doing well. Just within the last maybe 2 days, one of then has sounded congested. Hes sneezed before, but honestly not that much, his nose isn't running, & his eyes are fine. Whenever I put mom in with him he seems to be looking for a tit, but I cant tell if hes actually suckling so ive been feeding him some KMR on the aide, and he's actually been taking to that better than I thought. He has not really lost weight, but has not gained any in the last maybe 12 hours. Ive been weighing him more often just to keep an eye out and he's fluctuating between 10.5-10.7 but hasn't actually LOST weight, it goes up and down. (Thats why I started feeding him on the side)
Actually, here's the current weight of my 3 baby's (stripe is the one with an assumed uri):

Black 12.0
Stripe 10.6
Coon 10.0

Stripe has also not been lethargic, but has a harder time walking with his back legs. But he will lift himself completely up with his front, and he still walks, moves, and plays, he just sounds congested.
His moms always been congested too though, and she has a bum eye (not sure what it is, but she's blind in her right eye) been like that since we found her on the side of the road as just a wee baby.. Our other cat minnie is mostly blind in both eyes and she has her cornea fused to her retina (and mama kitty's one eye looks like that so I'm just assuming)
But anyways...
I am just worried about stripe and want him to be healthy. Ifni have to take him to the vet, I won't be able to get there until Friday, but I want some input & advice until then to keep him comfortable.
Or if it's not a uri, what could it be? And what can I do to help him..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not sure. If momma seems to be always congested, its fully possible its soemthing hereditary... But it may add to a less good appetite.
Anyways, you must proceed to supplement him, and even try to increase it. Exaclty what sort of KMR do you use?
If you can get raw goats milk, it may be an useful alternative - as it has some healthy wise edge. Cartooned or powdered goats milk is OK to use, but not the same potential plus, and not better than a good kmr.

You could give him some steam bath, to look if his breating gets better. sit with him in your bathroom, and let the shower go on for full, steaming, 15 minutes. So the room is full of steam, and the air is very humid...

If you vet is good with small kittens, its of course always a good idea to consult him. But many vets dont have much clue on small and weak kittens. They may be however OK knowleable if there is a clear cut diagnosis.

So I have three kittens almost 3 weeks old, they've all been growing and gaining weight normally, aside from one we lost about a week ago (rip my baby.) And recently they had aome eye crustys so I got them some ointment and they've been doing well. Just within the last maybe 2 days, one of then has sounded congested. Hes sneezed before, but honestly not that much, his nose isn't running, & his eyes are fine. Whenever I put mom in with him he seems to be looking for a tit, but I cant tell if hes actually suckling so ive been feeding him some KMR on the aide, and he's actually been taking to that better than I thought. He has not really lost weight, but has not gained any in the last maybe 12 hours. Ive been weighing him more often just to keep an eye out and he's fluctuating between 10.5-10.7 but hasn't actually LOST weight, it goes up and down. (Thats why I started feeding him on the side)
Actually, here's the current weight of my 3 baby's (stripe is the one with an assumed uri):

Black 12.0
Stripe 10.6
Coon 10.0

Stripe has also not been lethargic, but has a harder time walking with his back legs. But he will lift himself completely up with his front, and he still walks, moves, and plays, he just sounds congested.
His moms always been congested too though, and she has a bum eye (not sure what it is, but she's blind in her right eye) been like that since we found her on the side of the road as just a wee baby.. Our other cat minnie is mostly blind in both eyes and she has her cornea fused to her retina (and mama kitty's one eye looks like that so I'm just assuming)
But anyways...
I am just worried about stripe and want him to be healthy. Ifni have to take him to the vet, I won't be able to get there until Friday, but I want some input & advice until then to keep him comfortable.
Or if it's not a uri, what could it be? And what can I do to help him..