2 week old kitten losing weight

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If it's a URI the kittens will need an antibiotic to clear it up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just cleaned their eyes and none of them look infected. After I clean them, they open up like normal but then sometimes when I go back to check they're closed again..

One sneezed while I was cleaning their eyes and there was no discharge from its nose or anything...like I don't want to not take any action an have him get sick, but I don't wanna take them to the vet for nothing and have them all traumatized...

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They otherwise are gaining weight and acting normal, they don't cry unless I move then around too much or if mom sits on them

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is they are already sick. Herpes is a URI if they get a secondary infection such as pneumonia it could be fatal at their age.

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So you're basically saying take them to the vet or they're gonna die?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
To reduce stress you can put the kittens in a pet carrier and cover it with a towel if you are concerned about temperature place a hot water bottle in the carrier.

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mama and kittens are already in a bigger cage with a box inside to cover the bottom so they dont go out the side slots. I let mama out any time she wants (she let's me know) to use the potty and eat (I feed her KMR mixed with dry or wet food)

I'm just so scares to take them to a vet cause the vet in my town (20 mins away) ive always had bad luck with they are totally unprofessional so i won't take them there, we took our first litter in at 4 weeks old (litter of 4, runt passed day 3) because one seemed lethargic, then that night two out of three passed away. I feel like they were traumatized from the ride and it made them even weaker..
How much would an estimated cost be to take them in to get antibiotics? They'll probably wanna prescribe ointment for eyes too right? Will they have to take blood work?
We just took the papa of the kittens to the vet not too long agi (before mom was pregnant by him) he has crystals in Hus urine and had to stay overnight, in the end it cost us $600 and it set us back so much. I want to get them help but I'm very nervous about the vet..plus I'm limited on when I can go cause I'd need my mom to take me and pau for it

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even if I can get him to a vet tomorrow, if he starts losing weight before I can get him to a vet should I feed him KMR?

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm mostly concerned about the 1 kitten cause he's the smallest, but they all still seem to maintain weight. Unlike the baby we lost last night who started losing weight too fast an I couldn't save him...

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I weighed them at 2am, 10am, and 2 pm..here are my results:

2am
Black 10.2
Stripe 9.7
Coon 8.9

10am
Black 10.5
Stripe 9.8
Coon 9.2

And I got the same weights at 2 pm as I did 10 am.

Each still had a crusty eye today so I wet them and wiped carefully, it seems the color of the puss has changed to an off white color, not completely green, but maybe booger like? I have been considering taking them to the vet but its Sunday and they're closed. So I guess I'm gonna monitor them all day today and tonight and see how they are tomorrow, i might bother my mom to take them to the vet tomorrow as I cannot do anything on my own...

On a side note, i think mama kitty is getting uncomfortable with me handling the baby's so much because she keeps trying to move them. Sometimes we leave the cage door open a little bit so she can come abd go as she pleases and its not like she's gonna go anywhere with me sitting right there..but she came up to my boyfriend last night and basically dropped a kitten in his lap. After he put it back and her back, she picked one up again and wouldn't let go, we went to put our hands under the baby and she dropped it out of her mouth....he seems okay but that scared the shit out of me...so all night she kept picking them up in her mouth in the cage even with the door shut. I slept next to the cage all night just incase I heard squealng..she stopped after a while but she kept picking them up and wanted in an out of the cage for hours, after a bit I fed her pet her and put her in the cage trying to calm her down. She layed on the babies so I set them up on her belly, she opened up to let them eat and she seemed to have calmed down from all that..I'm scared to leave her alone in the cage with them though while I'm not here at the store or something Idk what shes gonna do...

I'm just so worried about them and it sucks that I have no money or vehicle so I have to rely on my mom and boyfriend to help me with this..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she wants to move her babies. I think you can weigh them just once a day. Less handling is best.

Are you able to get a pre-paid Visa card to order terramycin online? Also, if you have a feed store or tractor supply nearby, they usually carry terramycin.

Are you a minor?

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I a not a minor but I'm 22 with epilepsy living with my mom...

And since it's Sunday I'm not aure what all is open but I'll look some stuff up..

Also, are the things you're liating to get what they need? I don't want togive them like wrong medicine?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you write that again? I'm not sure what you are asking.

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry sorry I'm like frantic
The terramycin, what is it? And is that what you think they need?

If its something that they dont need ia it gonna hurt them to give it to them?

I just looked it up online and it says its not available in the US anymore..

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What stores can I buy it at? I still cant order online

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you able to purchase a pre-paid Visa card to order terramycin online? Also, if you have a feed store or tractor supply nearby, they usually carry terramycin.

Last edited:

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness everything is closed today...we have to go out tomorrow so I'll have my mom stop at tractor supply for that stuff...

What should I do until then?
How often should I clean their eyes?
Should I use cotton pads & water?
Or a warm damp tea bag?

Black & stripes eyes dont look too bad but coons one eye looks infected :(

I really can't order anything online, plus it wouldn't be here for a few days anyways and i plan on getting some from tractor supply and if it's not there we will check a local pet supply/vet/grooming multi purpose store

I just wanna help them and do the right thing with as limited as I am.

Last edited: