2 week old kitten losing weight

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today marks two weeks old for our 4 baby kittens. I've weighed them everyday since the 2nd day and they've gained a consistent amount of weight everyday. Then today I went to weigh them and one went from 7.6 to 7.1 the others maintained their weight gain. I just went out and bought KMR actually on my way home now. I was just wondering basically if I'm doing the right thing and if theres more I can do? I have mama kitty and the baby's in a big cage so she cant move them around (I know it might not be the best option but I felt was the safest since we live in a trailer with multiple other cats) I let her out for potty, food and water whenever she wants and make sure to give her love and attention whenever. Any tips and advice would be much appreciated. This is my second litter ive taken care of , the first one we lost 3 saved 1, I would love to keep all of then alive this time around.

I tried to feed the little kitten some KMR, he didn't wanna eat any and I was scared to put too much in his mouth and choke him so I put him next to mama by himself and he seems to be succling but keeps stopping to new. He's been kinda whiny today..I just wanna know what's wrong with him, I want him to be okay

Plz & thank you all

Last edited by a moderator:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does the kitten look ok? Or does he look weak after his weigh loss? Maybe you could use a srynge and feed him some extra kitten grade milk, or try the glucose solution to boost a little bit the kitten energy so that he or she can feed by himself more successfully?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico

I mean he seems pretty okay? He can still lift himself up and his eyes are open and he's moving around, but his tummy isn't like full like the rest of them? And he sounds like looks like he's succling butbkeepa stopping to new and cry. I got some KMR for him and tries to feed him but he wasn't having it so I put him by himself with mama to eat

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico

I mean he seems pretty okay? He can still lift himself up and his eyes are open and he's moving around, but his tummy isn't like full like the rest of them? And he sounds like looks like he's succling butbkeepa stopping to new and cry. I got some KMR for him and tries to feed him but he wasn't having it so I put him by himself with mama to eat
Well, I am NOT an expert, but I had to bottle feed six cats and a great dane because their mothers did not have milk for them and this I can tell you: they never want to be feed by someone that is not mommy. It is ok, it is just their natural instinct, but you have to keep trying if the weigh loss does not stop.
Well, what worked for me was covering the kitten with a warm dry cloth and patiently putting little drops of milk in the mouth. Your pinky finger can help to make the kitten start sucking.
I did also put the kitten against the skins of my neck, so he could feel my warmth and smell me, it seemed to help to make him feel safe while I was holding him and that makes it easier for kitten to eat.
I hope your kitten will be ok. Keep us informed.
Is this a planned litter? If not, maybe you should consider neutering, as breeding cats is really time consuming and it can be painful for all the implied un the process.

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was an unplanned litter as was the first one but we are going ASAP to get our cats all fixed lol.
As for baby kitty, I tried to feed him for about 30 mins very slowly just trying to get him to take little by little, I held him close to me but he was still restless, that's when mama kitty came up so I put him by her to eat, I'm gonna weigh him again a little later and also keep tying to feed him.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is a good job, kittens have tiny bellys, so what seems nothing to ya can be enough for them.

Last edited:

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I just hope it's enough to keep little baby healthy :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You really need to feed the kitten drop by drop with a syringe. You hold the kitten tummy down, head up, and put one drop at a time in the side of the kitten's mouth. Allow time for the kitten to swallow and breathe between drops.

Losing weight is very concerning. The not eating and crying indicate the kitten feels unwell. Can you take the kitten to the vet?

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do t exactly have the money to take him to the vet, I mean I will if I have to no doubt, but my vet is closed right now, the closest emergency vet is almost 40 mins away and I feel like the car ride would freak them out. We took our one litter vefore this to a vet and they died that night so I'm very nervous. I am goibg to try and syringe feed him again. & he doesn't new and cry constantly, I just notices it when I put just him an mama together and when ge would stop eating and move the other way he would cry, he might havw just been crying cause he couldn't find the nipple? Cause oncw he started sucking again he seemed fine.

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't wanna over think this, but I dont wantnto under think either

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the kitten is able to suckle mom that is good, but does not explain the weight loss. Is he getting pushed off the nipple by the other kittens?

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cant really tell if hes getting pushed off, they all push each other but they all continue to fight for a nipple. I tried to drip KMR in his mouth but he kept mewing and looking for mom again. Wvrytime I try and syringe feed him he moves his head and I know you have to feed kittens a specific way an I'm scared I'm gonna drown him.
It sounds like he might be making crackle noises now and my heart just freaking dropped

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Unfortunately, that noise is a sign of pneumonia. He must have aspirated milk. He would need an antibiotic. He may not make it. [emoji]128533[/emoji]

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But Idk if its "crackling" it was when he was nursing and it sou ded like him purring

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I am hoping so! Cause he seems pretty normal other than the weight loss :/ I'm praying he will b okay [emoji]10084[/emoji]

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
My boyfriend got home from work and before we fed the baby again we weighed him, he is now 6.9. So he went from 7.6 yesterday to 7.1 today (around 2pm both days) and now its 1 am and he is now 6.9

I am a nervous wreck so I had my boyfriend (Tyler) try and feed the baby with the syringe, mama kitty came up and tried to take the baby right out of his hands! (He cries every time we try and feed him but otherwise quiet)...I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I don't want to upset mama by keeping her from him, but we gotta be able to feed them without her taking him...
So he got maybe a couple drops of KMR and after she tried to take baby we put him back with her in the cage. Tyler put the baby on her nipple and said he started suckling...I'm just concerned on why he's LOSING weight. He's not just not gaining, hes losing, but he seems like he's eating? He seems so normal other than that? I'm so confused and so upset Idk what to do.
We even moved the cage from the living room to our room cause its warmer and quieter..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does not sound like the kitten is getting any milk from mom. It sounds like its starving.

Can you take them to the vet? The vet can show you how to feed the baby.

Last edited:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It does not sound like the kitten is getting any milk from mom. It sounds like its starving.

Can you take them to the vet? The vet can show you how to feed the baby.
Yes, vet seems the best idea.
Meanwhile, a boost of energy could be good, many breeders use glucose diluted in water to give them the energy they need to propperly suck.
In dogs there is always a nipple which produces more milk. Check which nipple your biggest kitten choose, and try to put your little one feed from it.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he's acting like he wants to eat but then starts crying or rooting around he might have colic. Upset stomachs are pretty common in Kittens but when it happens they lose weight fast. One thing you could try is symethicone. (Infants gas relief with no alcohol, saccrine, or dyes).

I'm not saying that's definitely what it is and a vets visit is definitely in order but a drop or two of symethicone a few times a day has been a lifesaver for me with fussy Kittens that start crying and loosing weight.