2 week old abandoned kitten HELP

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have taken in a 2 week old kitten that lost its mom. I have KMR and a bottle. He will take it but it only seems like he drinks for a few seconds and then won't have anything to do with it. Also I can make him pee but it has been 2days and no poop. What can I do??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called th ER vet for advice and they were very helpful! She said that I could give him a half mil enema of just warm water. I did it amd a pea size amount of poop came out. its a start! I also went out and got a digital scale and some dawn dish liquid. He has a few fleas and I don't want for them to get worse so I'm gonna bath him. I have one of those vomit tubs from the hospital that will work great and hopefully the warm water will help him poop as well. Fingers crossed!!

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update!! He had a dawn soap bath and got rid of his fleas. Still wouldnt poop after the warm water so I dried him and let him sleep in his box. He woke up whiny so I fed him and as he fell into his milk coma I massaged him all over and mostly his tummy and bottom and he pooped! Not very much but it's a start!

sheltieluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for rescuing this baby!! Because the formula doesn't have much consistancy you may find that it could be a day or so without pooping this is normal I would start worrying when its been a few days with nothing. Make sure that the kitten has a hot water bottle or heating pad in with him as kittens this young cant regulate their body tempature. I would feed him every 2 hours of the KMR formula. Good luck with him. Sounds like your doing an amazing job so far.

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much!! Has pooped twice!! I was so excited lol my husband thought I was crazy

loveskittys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
having bottle feed kittens I no all about the pooping bliss your talking about

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is doing great! Very alert and actually playful! He rolls over to his back and puts his paws together like he is praying! It's so cute :) he has starting digging with his little paws and he got my face pretty good. Why is he doing this?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he has starting digging with his little paws and he got my face pretty good. Why is he doing this?
Your kitten is digging with his paws because that is what he would have done to his mother's fur if he were still with her. It's called "kneading" and this is what kittens do when the mother is feeding them. It's very much a comfort thing and a kitten who has lost his mother will knead on many things as he gets older, such as soft blankets, etc.

Last edited:

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No it's not kneading. He does that as well but when I go to feed him he is scratching like he is trying to dig or claw his way "out" of something

sheltieluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it when you feed him the bottle? All mine did this also its normal they are just so eager to eat. One of my kittens clawed so hard he got the top off the bottle and formula was everywhere. He will stop once you start weening him in a few weeks. I start the weening process at about 4 1/2 weeks by 6 weeks mine are completely on wet food.

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is when ever he smells his milk. He goes crazy and my hands are all scratched up. He seems to be thriving and he even had a big poop last night!! It was pretty firm tho so I'm hoping it cleaned him out!! The first few days I would have to wake him up between 2-3 hours and now it seems like he is crying by 2.5 lol I'm thinking growth spurt haha

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Loki went to the vet today for a wellness check. He is not a he but a she!! Gonna have to break the habit of calling her a him lol The vet said she is amazing. She weighed 7.68 ozs and he gave me some great advice to cut down on the scratching a feeding time. Just gently grab her on the back of the check like mom would do. I tried it and it worked great! A peaceful feeding for the both of us. She goes back Aug 30 for her feline leukemia and aids test, first shots, and 2nd dewormer.:clap:

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes that's her snuggling with her daddy :rbheart: she is like half a pound

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have read that kittens should gain about a half oz per day. Is that right? If so, Loki was 7.68 yesterday at the vet and today she is only 7.8. A difference in scale or not gaining enough?? If it makes a difference she pooped before she went and she pooped before I weighed her this evening.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   They should gain at least 10 grams a day which is about 1/3 ounce.   Ideally, yes,  it is even  better if they gain half an ounce per day. 

But it is not a huge  deal if  there are some individual days in which she gains less than 10 grams.  You don't want to see that continue for several days.   but it's pretty normal that one day she might gain only a few grams,  then maybe the next day gains 20 grams!    It is the mean daily weight gain  that is most important.     You want to see an average gain of an ounce every 2 or 3 days.   

Yes it is possible it might  be some slight difference in the scale.   Also most scales are not exact to more than a couple grams.  And it also could be that she pooped an extra amount before you weighed her this evening.   

I would not worry if she otherwise seems fine.   Hopefully  tomorrow she will have a better gain.   :) 

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is doing very well other than that. She is however grabbing my hand and scratching very intensely. I have to literally peel her off and she will go right back. I grab her by her scruff like moa would but she won't stop

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am frustrated this morning. The scratching of my hand is constant now. To feed her I have to wrap her up so her feet cant get out. Any idea on why this is happening? The vet said she is fine...