2 week old abandoned kitten HELP

uncommonsensesc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is absolutely adorable - there's nothing like a kitten to bring out the maternal instincts in us! The smell of baby fur, their antics as they learn to play are so funny! We have five kittens and watching them together is hilarious!

I found out there is a free spay neuter traveling bus through the Humane Society in Nashville.  Here's the link - she's too little to have fixed right now though.  They have to be at least 3 pounds - I think, not sure about that so be sure to ask them.

http://www.nashvillehumane.org/Spay_and_Neuter/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was very concerned about her developing skills learned from another cat but she seems to be trucking along! She is finding spots to get through my barriers now so back to kitty proofing I go! But she is amazing and keeps us laughing all the time. I am so glad to have had this experience with her :)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
re the diarrhea... 

I would start her on some probiotics .  

There;s a discussion of probiotis in a recent thread here  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/262587/probiotics-search-human-grade-and-cfus

I have seen  some loose stools with kittens getting used to eating. especially if they ate a lot of dry food probably due to it usually having a higher amount of ingredients from plant sources. 

& personally i try to get them started on raw meat & bone.   I'm lazy and just feed  the Natures Variety Instinct raw frozen .   I"m not saying you need to do the same   just relating what I do.  

Last edited:

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Loki's diarrhea is so watery. She doesn't seem dehydrated and she is drinking water from her bowl and still getting formula 4 times a day. I am starting her on some pedialyte and I gave her some plain pumpkin. Here's to hoping its a little better tomorrow or she will be going to the vet yet again. She has had one round of dewormer and was tested for other parasites by fecal float and it was negative. I am hoping it is due to either food change or ingestion of soap during her bath. Fingers crossed!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Oh dear . I don't like that watery diarrhea .  Very good idea to do the Pedialyte.   If not better tomorrow get her to the vet tomorrow.  Kittens can get dehydrated very quickly.  

Probiotics as I mentioned would also be a good idea 

Vibes for little Loki  

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So no diarrhea overnight and none yet this morning!! She licked pumpkin from my finger and I put it in her bottle last night. This morning she ate a good bit of RC Babycat hard food and a lot of water and I also put some pumpkin in her morning bottle with a little rice cereal. And she licked some plain yogurt from my finger. Hoping that will help with her little tummy.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hope her diarrhea is getting better and stays OK after this morning's intake. I'm sure you are watching her very closely. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Loki from her mom when she was a week old because the litter before her all died. I wanted to give one of them a chance not knowing what the outcome would be.
I was confused before as to why the kitten was abandoned. But, actually, she wasn't abandoned since you took her from her mother. That clears that up.

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Loki's diarrhea is gone!! She is amazing! Climbing everything and getting into mischief. I guess she is living up to her name after the Norse God of mischief lol. She goes to the vet Friday to start her kitten shots and to be checked out. She still won't eat soft food but she loves her Babycat! She is also drinking water out of her bowl. She begs for her bottle 3-4 times a day but other than that she's awesome. Her bottles are formula, a little pumpkin, and baby rice cereal. I make it a little thicker each time. She will drink a little from a bowl but not enough to satisfying at this point. She quit staying in her box a few days ago and found a spot under the bed. I'm worried she gets cold so I got her am extra comfy bed and put the heating pad on it and she seems to like it better than being in a box! She's asleep on it now! She loves to climb her scratching post to play with the toy on top and chases her mice constantly. She also loves a laser pointer!! Too funny :) we haven't laughed so hard in a long time!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that is good news!     and it sounds like Loki is really developing,  exploring and playing like crazy!   That's great.  

I'm just thinking,  as you thicken the formula more, it would be better to add meat rather than more cereal.   Cats just aren't made to get their nutrition from plants like humans ( or even dogs). Could you start giving her some soft kitten food or "all life stages"  kitten & cat food ,  or stage 1 chicken or turkey baby food ,  in her formula?   Of course make any change gradually. 

I don't mean that human baby food would be adequate as a complete diet!  i'm just thinking about trying to get her used to some wet food. 

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am definitely going to be adding some soft food to her formula I just wanted to wait to make sure her little tummy felt better first! Probably next Monday after the vet and her shots. I am going to add less and less pumpkin to also be sure that her diarrhea is gone and not just being masked by it. And of course have the vet make sure she is ok too!

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyways, thanks for posting this. My friend recently found a stray baby and I've been using the advice here to guide her until she can get the kitten to a vet. Most of your advice and discussions have been really helpful. Has loki's diarrhea been constant or intermittent with some solid poop? RC babycat wet had the same effect on my kitty, but she had diarrhea with solid poop.

Last edited by a moderator:

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It went to straight water consistency but I am pretty sure it was due to ingesting soap from her bath. And also the food changing. But it is clear now and hopefully gone! Everyone here with the exception of a few... Are awesome and full of advice! If you need anything just ask and someone usually has an answer or some advice!

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's been my experience with the cat moms and dads here. When I got my kitten, she was covered in fleas, underweight, and has worms. She's thriving now and I really have to thank the people here for helping maintain my sanity. Maybe to avoid baths in the future, if she still has fleas, maybe diatomaceous earth would work. I put it on the areas she lays in and now there's only 1 stubborn flea.

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem!! I got them all but 1 and I am going insane! I true to comb it out but she is way to squirmy. She must know I'm talking about her because she just climbed up on the bed with me :)

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is why I love this site! I'm not alone. The vet says not to worry. She indoors, there's no infestation and the likelihood of one is rare. Has she started the cute "let's follow mommy everywhere" phase?

She even prevents me from smoking in my smoking chair. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
A reminder to all: if you feel any post is out of line, please use the report button to bring this to the attention of the mods. Do not get involved or answer back, just report. Thank you!

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She follows me and my husband EVERYWHERE!! She loves feet and shoes! Since she can climb on our bed she likes to wake me up in the dead of night and play. It never fails that it is only like an hour or 2 after I am good and asleep. It's always my side of the bed too!! And when she is ready for a bottle she climbs all over me whining but it's so cute. It's only 3-4 times a day so it's not bad. Right now thankfully she is fast asleep on her new bed :)

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They won't take the time to have her spayed... That's just how they are and we aren't in the position to have it done ourselves.
If you want to have your kitten's mother spayed, I would pay for it. You could lay out the money, mail the receipt to me, and I would reimburse you. The mother cat's health has to be so compromised at this point: I think you said an earlier litter died and only Loki survived from this litter. The mother cat must be very sick and I can only imagine how many litters she will have to bear before dropping dead from exhaustion.

Something for you to think about.

lokisnewmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: it has been a crazy few days! Loki went to the vet Friday. 1.4 lbs and doing great. She got to spend time with the office cat Murphy! She is fearless. We got her a 3 tier scratching/perch stand but she hasn't warmed up to it yet. Hopefully soon! She is eating her food very well and only "asks" for a bottle at night and the vet said I could let her continue with that. He thinks she will just wean herself in the next few days to maybe a week. Everything is going very well except for her biting. She is only playing but she loves our chins, cheeks, and noses the best and it hurts! If I try to correct her she attacks! What can I do?