2 Pregnant Strays Please Help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's a good idea to change the door handle. I was going to suggest a hook and eye latch placed up high, but changing the door handle to one that locks is even better. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chele0909

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea to change the door handle. I was going to suggest a hook and eye latch placed up high, but changing the door handle to one that locks is even better. :)
Oh yeah my kiddos would have a stool on a chair with books and pillows and couch cushions... Whatever it takes. Lol the basement door is all the way at the farthest end of the house from everything else so if I am cleaning the bathroom or doing dishes and they see me distracted they'll just start stacking stuff till they get to the latch hook. We had child safe latches on the basement door for a whole 3 days when we first moved in here because I worried about the baby getting it open somehow if we didn't watch her close enough but my kids are just too dog gone smart for their own good... My son was 5 at the time and figured it out and taught his sis in no time. (and I bought the top shelf ones too!) anyhow we weren't really using the basement at that time so we just ended up putting a giant chair in front of the door and by the time we started is I g it she was getting good at stairs and understanding dangers so we just never felt the need to make it inaccessible after that but my hubby has already said he'll be stopping at Menards after work tomorrow to grab another locking door handle.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's good. Go ahead and change it so nothing bad happens with the kitty or her kittens eventually. ;)

Chele0909

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no kitties! I was sure she was in labor last night. She kept flinching like she'd been startled like every 2-3 minutes and then she would clean her lady parts. About 45 minutes after that started she laid down next to me on her side on the mattress we have down there and appeared to be trying to push. She was kind of kicking her hind legs and then stretching them out to push or so it seemed. She did this for about 2 hours and a couple times got up to eat (i have food in 2 different spots. One in that room and one in between the other 2 boxes I set up for her.) Anyhow I fell asleep for about 1/2 an hour and woke to find that she had gone and laid on the cold cement but was still behaving the same. (pushing occasionally and cleaning often) I called her back over to the bed and she laid with her tail just at the edge and wouldn't come fully on the bed. I worried that she may just not be very comfortable having them with me right there watching her (although she has been VERY affectionate) so I went upstairs for the night around 2am. When I went down at 7:40 to giver her some wet food she was back on the cold cement and still no kittens I'm beginning to worry that she is trying to hold out because she thinks she needs to get back out to her nest she's made somewhere in the woods. Ugh I don't know... My hubby says she doesn't look as big as Lily did so maybe she's just not as close as I think but her behaviors tell otherwise. Also I've been researching as much as possible and I'm pretty sure she's a Turkish angora. I've found articles that say that this breed can be many different colors although they're most commonly thought to be only white. Anyway I've read that this breed typically only has 2-4 kittens and Lily had 6 so I believe that's one reason why she "doesn't look as pregnant as Lily" like my hubby says. Also Lily was CLEARLY malnourished I could see her spine popping out. She must have been an inside cat that wasn't fed well whereas shadow hunts rabbits, mice, chipmunk....whatever looks appetizing PLUS I kept her dry food bowl full at all times and gave her wet food 3 times a day which I've done since about 2 or 3 days after she started coming close for dry food. She's full everywhere and has longer fur so her belly bump is not as apparent as Lily who was starved and has short hair that doesn't mask much. Anyhow... Sorry for the long rant just worried about my shadow cat. I've grown SO VERH attached to her. She's my baby and I worry about her like I worry about my children. I really really really love this cat! Oh also still seeing the discharge here and there. She seems to be cleaning it up more than she was when she was outside though so maybe that's her way of prepping?? Hopefully?! please God let everything go smoothly with my shadow cat & her babies.

Last edited:

Chele0909

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like pre-labor. Her body is preparing. Try to relax. :)
Lol it's actually kind of comical when you think about it... Here you are telling me to relax when I'm not even the one in labor... You're right I need to just stay calm and be here to support her. I'm sitting with her now. She's behaving the same as last night but VERY vocal now. I have never heard her meow at all until this morning besides a couple times at the door when I first brought her in but I knew that's cause she wanted out. I wanted to ask though... Should I be feeling as much kitten movement as usual once she's in labor like this? I feel like they're much less active the last 2 or 3 hours... Trying not to worry but it's tough ya know...

Chele0909

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20170731_222909.jpg
no joke I think she might just have these kittens right in my lap. I keep scooting back to give her space to clean herself but she keeps scooting closer and I'm almost up against the wall so I may end up with a liter of kittens in my lap tonight because I don't want to move and make her feel like I'm leaving her or like I don't want to be near her... Soooo... whatever it takes... Lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens move down closer to the birth canal before being born, so there is usually less movement.

I hope she has them soon for your sake! ;)

Chele0909

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg omg omg! Kitty #1 is here and it's ALIVE! I'm sure I sound ridiculous but I have been worried sick... I thought if she didn't have them within the next few days here I was gonna wake up one morning with a full head of grey hair! She's being a great momma too cleaning and caring for her baby! I'll keep yas posted!

Chele0909

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens move down closer to the birth canal before being born, so there is usually less movement.

I hope she has them soon for your sake! ;)
Can't wait for you to read my last post! You've hung in there with me through this all while I was worried sick! I can't thank you enough!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think your cat decided she'd put you out of your misery and deliver a kitten for you!

How's it going?

I know you'll stay up with her until she's done. Make sure the kittens are nursing well before you go to sleep. :)

Chele0909

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think your cat decided she'd put you out of your misery and deliver a kitten for you!

How's it going?

I know you'll stay up with her until she's done. Make sure the kittens are nursing well before you go to sleep. :)
Looks like we're finished already! 2 beautiful mostly black calico kittens and 1 rhata still a bit too damp to tell. (i thought for sure the first 2 were pure black) but momma is pooped for sure. She did it! My next issue is how do I move them? They're all in my lap... Babies are starting to try to latch on right now. Mom had me help keep the first 2 out of the way as they were trying to find their way back in while the 3rd was being born, (she looked right at me and meowed a very direct meow... Instantly I just knew what she meant) and as soon as I moved them up towards my body to keep them warm she got back to work with #3. She didn't seem to be bothered that they had been moved from her so I don't know if moving them to a box will prompt her to follow... Should I try that? I don't want to alarm her. Also the 1st one that was born is making a funny sound. It almost sounds like suckling and then I just heard 1 breath that sounded like a huff... How can I make sure there's nothing stuck in her nose? Thanks again to all who helped! Never thought I'd be so stoked to be a grandma at 32! Lol

Chele0909

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens are feeding great! All is well... Apparently I really was worried out of my mind like a crazy person for absolutely no reason. I guess my hubby was right... I'm turning into the crazy cat lady cause I was losing my mind over nothing lol... My phone won't let me load the pics for some reason and I'm to exhausted to get on the computer but I'll post some tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for hanging in there with me!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!!! I can't believe you ended up with two stray pregnant cats! And the moving car dropping one off! You sure you haven't got maternity hospital for cats sign somewhere outside ? Jokes aside that's v cruel of them

Chele0909

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!!! I can't believe you ended up with two stray pregnant cats! And the moving car dropping one off! You sure you haven't got maternity hospital for cats sign somewhere outside ? Jokes aside that's v cruel of them
Thank you for the congrats!Oh my goodness you're right! I never noticed the sign... Must have been left by previous owners! Lol Honestly though... It is quite the predicament especially considering I already thought I had my hands full... I think maybe the big Man upstairs was teaching me a little lesson... I may feel stressed at times but I'm strong enough to handle anything life throws my way with love and kindness. At least that's how I'm looking at it. (it will help me keep my sanity! Lol)

Chele0909

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

How's it going?

Have you ever heard of kittens making kind of a weezing sound? It's not very often, maybe 1-2x per hour now but it was more frequent when she was first born. Its followed by a huffing or almost sounds like when a cat sneezes... Just wondering if there's something I should be checking for to make sure her airways are clear.