11 day old kitten questions

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad everything seems ok!  I would think for your own peace of mind that you might want to hold off on taking in any more fosters until your kittens are fully vaccinated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrikc1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. These guys weren't planned (lol). I happened to find them in distress in a ditch on my way home from a doctors appointment. I did have them checked out first by a vet though.

chrikc1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Best flea/heartworm preventative for kittens/cats? Cost effective thoughts appreciated but above all I want to know what has worked best for you all. All are slightly over 3 months now.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Best flea/heartworm preventative for kittens/cats? Cost effective thoughts appreciated but above all I want to know what has worked best for you all. All are slightly over 3 months now.
Advantage II ! You can buy the large dog package and split the doses. The formula is exactly the same as the one for cats. They just come in larger doses (they come in 4ml tubes VS the .8ml tubes you get with the package for cats). The reason you want to buy the large dog one is because it costs about the same as the one for cats, but you get 4 or 5x the amount of product.

Squirt one of the 4ml tubes into a glass vial and use a small needless syringe to dose your cat (.8ml if the cat is over 9lbs, .4ml if the cat weighs less than 5lbs). When you're done, put a piece of plastic wrap over the opening of the vial, put the cap on and save it in the refrigerator. Each dose works for 1 month, so you can get 5 doses out of one vial.

Do not dose the kittens! Only mom! The kittens are too small for flea treatment right now, but they will benefit from the fact that mom is treated so fleas shouldn't bother them too much.

Last edited:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
chrikc1 chrikc1

Woops, just remembered that these kittens are orphans. The tips I suggested above will work when they are adults.

You can bathe them in blue dawn and flea comb them for now. Once they reach 4lbs they will be able to be treated with the Advantage II .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
chrikc1 chrikc1

Great sdvice!

Actually, at 3 months old the kittens CAN have Advantage II as well. They need .4 mL each.

Using Advantage II and a can of flea house spray, plus vacuuming and washing bedding in hot water, usually works wonders, though I had to do the entire regimen twice, about 10 days apart, to completely get rid of my fleas.

The cats/kittens will need worming too, as they will likely have tapeworms from the fleas. Drontal is available from the vet, and works on all worms. It needs 2 doses 2 weeks apart too.

I buy dog size Advantage myself, as it's a much better bargain in a multi-cat household.

Let us know how this all goes! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

chrikc1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! That is wonderful advice as I have 3 large dogs as well!appointments are already set for the vet. Just wanted to make sure I got it all at once

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@chrikc1

Woops, just remembered that these kittens are orphans. The tips I suggested above will work when they are adults.

You can bathe them in blue dawn and flea comb them for now. Once they reach 4lbs they will be able to be treated with the Advantage II .
Blue Dawn works like a charm.  Do remember that young kittens need to be kept warm after bathing.  Not hot, but warm.

chrikc1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are all between 3 and 4 pounds and not infested with fleas. The occasional 1 or 2 which I take care of with a flea comb and blue dawn. We just live on an acre with heavily wooded and swampy surroundings. Its beautiful and I absolutely love it but bugs are abundant. Especially in the warmer months (and I live in Florida so that's like 9 months of the year, lol). So for that reason I would like them to be treated. They are not outside cats but my 3 pups and my boyfriend and I spend a lot of time outside. You would be amazed what makes it inside! I would also love to be able to put them on leashes while they are young for backyard walks in safe areas. Once they are fully vaccinated of course [emoji]128512[/emoji]

Last edited: