1 Year Old Male Cat Not Neutred - Peeing On Stuff

crossbones3129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat uses his litter box like he's supposed to, but he's been peeing on stuff a lot lately. We usually close all the doors to the rooms where he would pee but a few days ago he peed on our toothbrushes and my dad said he had to go outside. Usually he pees on a bag of clothes or clothes that came from another house or just don't smell like they would freshly washed. I have no clue why all of a sudden he has started this. I don't want to keep him outside because I'm scared he might get hit by a car or hurt some other way. He's bites a lot and hiss's also so I'm guessing it's a behavior issue. I've got him scheduled to be neutered May 19 but will that stop him from peeing on stuff and maybe calm him down?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, neutering will most likely solve this, but I would do it as soon as you can. The longer you wait, the more of an ingrained behavior it becomes. And please do not let him outside at all until he is neutered, actually several weeks afterward to let hormones die down. He will not only impregnate any intact females in the area, but also may roam in search of mates and get into fights with other males.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'd move up the neutering appointment if at all possible! The longer this goes on, the harder it will be to break the habit. You might try keeping him in one room, to minimize the number of locations he can mark with his scent and make it easier to clean up, but if he's feeling his oats he may get restless and make you fairly miserable :/.

In the future, try to have any male cats you might get neutered before 8 months of age (4-6 months ideally) to avoid this kind of thing.