Zyrtec for Cats

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry to resurect this thread, but I am looking for a new cetirizine medication because the one I used got discontinued. I am rereading this thread because it is so useful. An got me wondering about the PLOYETHYlene Glycol.
I don't think it is toxic to cats, I believe we are confusing it with PROPYlene Glycol.

Am I correct? or is there more info on the Polyethylene? I have found Polyethylene glycol is used as a laxative in cats, and I am guessing at the dosage of half a pill it wouldn't do anything.

Just thought I would ask before deciding my next brand. Thanks

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok I had called my vet on it. Basically according to my vet the amount of propylene glycol in the tablets are small enough to not cause harm. I haven't found any pills without it in them.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify
The glycol names mentioned above are very similar and can be confusing, especially when trade names are used.
Polyethylene Glycol 400 is a water-soluble polymeric material widely used in prescription and OTC pharmaceuticals. This is used to improve bio-availability of medications in the body when the active chemical has low water solubility

Polyethylene Glycol 3350 is the primary ingredient in Miralax.
The number behind polyethylene glycol represents a molecular weight range of a polymeric material. PEG 400 is a viscous liquid, and PEG 3350 is a granular solid.
The high molecular weight materials do not contain the toxic monomer, dimer or other low molecular weight materials.

Ethylene glycol is old-style antifreeze, and is toxic to animals and humans. This glycol is the sweet-tasting ingredient in antifreeze that has caused accidental poisonings.

Propylene glycol is the newer, less toxic material being used in newer antifreeze formulations. Propylene glycol is commonly used as a trace ingredient in pharmaceutical formulations, and is GRAS - Generally Recognized as Safe in food.
Propylene glycol is toxic at much lower doses in cats than in humans or dogs. Some dog foods still include propylene glycol.
I did not find a lot of information in my quick search for toxicity of polypropylene glycol. I believe this is a range of non-toxic materials used in formulations of pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and household products.

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok I had called my vet on it. Basically according to my vet the amount of propylene glycol in the tablets are small enough to not cause harm. I haven't found any pills without it in them.
Kirkland's allertec doesnt have Propylene, it does have polyethylen though and from Foxden's post I guess it is PEG 3350.

Which could then have a minor laxative effect.

Sookieloop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, jumping on an old thread here. My boy has been sick for about a year. He was finally diagnosed with allergies which were causing a lot of fluid in his chest and inflammation in his throat. So far none of the steroids have worked. We think we may have figured out the causes but he isn't getting any better and I'm reluctant to keep him on the steroids as he's quite a big boy! Having now done a bit of research I'm wondering if antihistamines are the way to go for his respiratory issues. Has anyone had any luck with similar issues?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, jumping on an old thread here. My boy has been sick for about a year. He was finally diagnosed with allergies which were causing a lot of fluid in his chest and inflammation in his throat. So far none of the steroids have worked. We think we may have figured out the causes but he isn't getting any better and I'm reluctant to keep him on the steroids as he's quite a big boy! Having now done a bit of research I'm wondering if antihistamines are the way to go for his respiratory issues. Has anyone had any luck with similar issues?
Well my kitty Mr Tips, he has seasonal allergies and he still takes his zyrtec seasonally. It's certainly helped him and would be good to ask your Vet about it for giving it a go for your boy.

Sookieloop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well my kitty Mr Tips, he has seasonal allergies and he still takes his zyrtec seasonally. It's certainly helped him and would be good to ask your Vet about it for giving it a go for your boy.
Thanks, I'm going to. I'm surprised the vet hadn't suggested it before. I'm getting kind of desperate now.

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the inflamation and fluid, are you sure it is because of allergies?

Try Zyrtec or Claritin, both work (when they work, it is a hit or miss with cats you never know)

Have you considered allergy shots? I had it done to one of my girls.
I'm not in the US so it doesn't work for me, but I found something quite interesting called Respit.

Basically, they say allergen testing is not that great because of false positives and negatives, so depending where you live they give you the shot with most common allergens, they claim no testing is necessary because if they are allergic they need it, if not no harm. So the cost should be lower because the test is expensive.

take a look Why RESPIT? | RESPIT - The Practical Alternative to Allergy Testing for Pets

good luck