Zyrtec for Cats

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh good, I'm glad it's working out for you at the moment! I just saw that word 'decongestant' in your last post. I thought you had meant antihistamine-- but I needed to be sure. Paws crossed that you're able to keep it up! Another trick is to occasionally give "blank" pill pockets so that if she does happen to bite on one, it won't put her off. I do that as the "reverse slot machine", because not every "pull" will have something in it-- and in a cat's mind, this is a GOOD thing, He'll keep playing as long as there's is NO "prize", LOL! But You have a few other tricks up your sleeve now. And if you do not have a pill popper in your tool kit, I recommend one.

I like this style-- it even has a fluid reservoir so you can give liquid meds or perhaps a bit of water to help the pill go down. I'd love to actually find one...

crazycatlady41

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I like this style-- it even has a fluid reservoir so you can give liquid meds or perhaps a bit of water to help the pill go down. I'd love to actually find one...

Yes, cats are so smart so we always need to try and be one step ahead of them! Great advice...and that second pill popper I just ordered through ebay a few days ago from China for $2.61 Canadian. It will take a while to come but I thought it might be good to have on hand incase she stops taking the pill pockets but i really doubt she will,she loves them sooo much. I even got to find pill pockets for allergies, duck and pea flavoured. They are THE worst smelling things I think I've ever smelled in my life! I'd rather smell a fart all day than those haha but she sure likes them so that's all that matters! :D

crazycatlady41

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well just a little update ...I started my cat on the new foods 3 weeks ago and also with claritin, I omitted fish and chicken and within a few days I could see already that she had improved greatly, the dander in her fur lessened significantly and she stopped scratching (she had a bald patch on her tummy that  was also growing back hair) and no congestion. I was sure I caught the allergen as a food allergy but the last few days it's like her allergy symptoms are coming back  and I'm not sure why.  Nothing has changed in that amount of time.  I know it takes some time for the allergen to completely be removed from the body, is this normal, or should she just gradually keep getting better? Just feeling a little discouraged because I was SO excited and relieved to see her getting better :(

domz69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would just like to know, for anyone using Zyrtec for their cats allergies, if it is bitter tasting to the cat, how do you give your cat Zyrtec. I have ordered some online and am anxiously waiting. I had horrible luck trying to give her Benadryl, liquid and pill form. No matter what way I give her Benadryl, and yes even in pill pockets, she chews it up and foams like crazy from the mouth and the whole thing is so horrifying for her and me. I know it's a "normal" reaction from the bitter taste but I am not going through that again nor to her. I am just praying to the Gods that the Zyrtec is not bitter and I might be able to crush it up and give it to her in her food. If anyone could just let me know if they find their cat doing this with the Zyrtec and if so, how do you administer it without that happening, if it happens. Thanks so much for all and any replies!!
Z. i give my female Bella half of a 5mg Zyrtec children's dissolvable tablet with citrus flavor twice daily and she loves the taste, should work for your cat.

crazycatlady41

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Z. i give my female Bella half of a 5mg Zyrtec children's dissolvable tablet with citrus flavor twice daily and she loves the taste, should work for your cat.
Interesting, thanks for your input :) I tried my cat on the Zyrtec and it didn't seem to help at all so I then tried claritin and it seems to be the better one that I've tried so far in keeping the allergy symptoms at bay. They seem to kind of come and go but still seeing huge improvements nonetheless.

zoe15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I crush half of a 10mg Zyrtec and mix it with hairball stuff and then smear little bits on the tops of her paws (little bits because she shakes her paws and I've learned the hard way, that stuff is NOT easy to clean up! Especially from the carpet. [emoji]128533[/emoji])
That seems to work well for us.
I'm wondering now though, if it's safe to give a 7y/o, 9lb cat 10mg's (broken into 2 doses) per day? 5mg seems to help a little but doesn't last long enough. Or at least I think...

crazycatlady41

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, another update...I started getting sick with allergy symptoms the last couple of weeks and my son, so after all these months thinking it just pertained to the cat and thought I had it narrowed down to a food allergy and going through all of that, I now realize what the heck is going on. I have a black mold issue in my bathroom. I've lived in the same apt for 18 yrs and the last few yrs my fan in the bathroom has not been working up to par so the moisture built up. My landlords really don't like to fix anything until it's completely broken so I just never bothered thinking anything more about it. I noticed some black mold around the tub casing the other day and took the fan down and it was loaded full of black mold so I suspect it's also up in the ducts and God knows where else. Ugh. So I wrote my landlord an email and told her how sick we all are and she's already saying that it's just a mildew problem, not black mold, and hasn't even come by yet to see it for herself. She said she would fix the caulking around the tub but that doesn't help the bigger issue. They of course are never going to want to admit that that is the problem as it costs so much money to fix but I'm not going to lay down and die either. It would cost me at a minimum $200 to check the quality of the air which I cannot afford. So I have no actual proof other than what I can see with my eyes which they are going to deny is black mold. Even mildew gives great health problems. In the meantime I am purchasing an air purifier that I found on ebay for a great price. I really really hope it will help improve our allergy symptoms but again, that doesn't cure the bigger problem at hand. The mold needs to be removed. At the very least, I want a new fan put in so the problem doesn't get more worse than it already is.

clor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I buy the smallest size gelatin capsules (empty) and cut Zyrtec or other foul tasting pills in half with a pill cutter. They fit well into the pill capsules. I then roll them into a "nugget" as I call them, which is a small thumb size dollop of wet food, and they eat it up with never being aware that the pill was there. It has worked with multiple cats on multiple occasions. I buy the gelatin capsules on Amazon. It's been a life saver!

kittypawpaw77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Ok folks, it's the Polypropylene Glycol that cats need to stay away from...I got mixed ulp! Sorry about that...
So the "polyethylene glycol" is ok? The vet prescribed the children's Benadryl liquid unflavored or the cherry one, could not find the unflavored one so got the cherry and my kitty hates it. I wanted to try the tabs so  I'm checking on Benadryl tabs 25mg (these are the smallest I could find I plan on  cutting them into 8 pieces,, I try small doses first) to give to my kitty and the polyethylene glycol is one of the inactive ing.

I also checked the Walmart brand Diphenhydramine 12.5mg chewable tabs and one of the inactive ing. is polyethylene & polypropylene polymers, do you know if those are bad? I HAVE NOT used either of them yet just checking them out. With Benadryl I'm worried about the side effects like "not urinating". I can't find anything on Zyrtec side effects.   Do you know what the side effects would be with Zyrtec?

autumnruby1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is on Zyrtec but his dosage is a 10mg tablet twice daily. He is male and about 8 pounds. I am wondering if that is a too large a dose? I asked the clinic but they said it was fine.He has had one but is very drowsy. Anyone have any advice regarding cats and zyrtec?  Thank you in advance.
I give Olive my 6yo 15lb girl 1/2 a 10mg dissolvable tablet twice a day, she doesnt take any meds well so I toss it in and coat her lips in a light spread of natural raw honey so shell lick the dissolved part gone, works well so far. Who would have guessed MY CAT IS ALLERGIC TO ALL CATS LMAO She gets spurs across her body during shedding season (shes my only cat) so zyrtec helps relieve some itching and scabbing

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If anyone is still following this post and use Zyrtec for their cat, I have questions.

How long has your cat been taking Zyrtec?
Are you comfortable giving it daily.....or for life?

My cat has allergies and they will cause rapid breathing due to inflammation in the lung airways. Their is no cough and only minor wheezing. No runny nose or eyes. I usually notice there is a problem when there is a loss of appetite. This happens about once a month. My vet says it is allergy asthma and suggested Zyrtec. It does clear it up, but I am afraid of my cat having to be on it for life. Have you read the withdrawl side effects when people decide to quit Zyrtec? It is a nightmare! I just give it for a few days till the breathing returns to normal. I usually only give 2.5 mg and not the full 5 mg dose. Appetite goes through the roof!

slominsky debby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
someone else told me about this and it works great.  my cat will not take pill or liquid.  so I crush it between two spoons, put it in hairball gel smear it on his paw and he licks it off.

kozmic kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Zirtec is a good med for cats.  Ask your doc if it's possible that your fella has feline Eosinophil disease. These are a white blood cell that is associated with allergic conditions.  Can cause respiratory, intestinal and skin problems.  My Cat has it and it is definately worse in Summer with a bunch of sores with plaque like patches on her back.  Of course thats accompanies by furious licking and chewing on her back,when it first starts.  5 mg zyrtec each evening and she is so much more comfortable.  I just purchase Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Baby Wash.  Its a very bland colloidal (oatmeal) wash.  s kind of wash away Im going to give her this bath every other day to see if that also gives her relief fro her itching.  The old scabs sort of washed away and the active sores look less red. 

Good luck with your guy but as far as I know, there isn't a time limit on continuing this med as a routine for chronic Eosinophil disease.  Ask your Vet. 

kozmic kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Zirtec is a good med for cats.  Ask your doc if it's possible that your fella has feline Eosinophil disease. These are a white blood cell that is associated with allergic conditions.  Can cause respiratory, intestinal and skin problems.  My Cat has it and it is definately worse in Summer with a bunch of sores with plaque like patches on her back.  Of course thats accompanies by furious licking and chewing on her back,when it first starts.  5 mg zyrtec each evening and she is so much more comfortable.  I just purchase Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Baby Wash.  Its a very bland colloidal (oatmeal) wash.  s kind of wash away Im going to give her this bath every other day to see if that also gives her relief fro her itching.  The old scabs sort of washed away and the active sores look less red. 

Good luck with your guy but as far as I know, there isn't a time limit on continuing this med as a routine for chronic Eosinophil disease.  Ask your Vet. 

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

May I ask how you got this diagnosed please? I have a kitty who is 2. He's spent 18 months itching like crazy. We've tried so many things, the most recent a hypoallergenic diet but he just continues to itch so as a result he's on prednisolone (and has been for well over 12 months which I hate but it's better than him ripping his skin off with his teeth and clawing his fur out). The only abnormality we've ever found was an extremely high eonsophil count in his blood work (even more concerning to me because at the time he was on 5mg of macrolone a day). I feel like we're missing something but I just don't know what.

kozmic kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Morning!

Two of my kitties developed this pebbley feeling rash of scabby lesions on their back and sides starting every spring for the past 4 years that we've lived here.  The rash seemed to lessen during the winter months but neither the symptoms or the resulting scratching ever went completely away. One of them also had wretching bouts every day.  My vet took skin scrapings and microscopically checked for fungus, parasite or bacterial infection.  Negative findings for all conditions.   After ruling those conditions out, she then felt that it could be a food allergy so I purchased hypoallergenic food with no improvement after the expense of trying several brands.  Each cat was on 2.5mgs of pred daily and honestly, I really didn't see all that much improvement in their scabs though it did help the itching.  As you know, you can get to the point that you are at your wits end and I hated to see them on pred for >6 months at a time.

I'm a nurse and know that in humans, allergies that are usually demonstrated thru the respiratory system, can, in some folks, result in skin conditions like eczema instead, with nary a sneeze, itchy nose or runny eyes.  My daughter is one of those unfortunates as she was noted to have Eosinophilia as an infant and has spent a lifetime dealing with her eczema instead of the usual respiratory symptoms. Well my cats were 8 and 4 respectively when we moved to Central Valley in California.  The country's fruit and vegetable basket.  LOTS of allergens here.  So, I decided to try Cetiriline (Zyrtec) as I recalled that this was the OTC antihistamine of choice for cats and dogs.  When I was checking the dosage online, I came upon a terrific article about Eosinophilia disease in cats.  http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/eosinophilic.cfm 

One of my cats just has the skin lesions; scabby plaques and the other has the skin rash with those scabs that partially lift up and you can see that the sores are deep (ulcerated) underneath as well as a facial granuloma and an ear lesion.  She's the one that also kaks up foamy stuff occasionally.  Thats when I decided to treat this empirically.  Since the initial visit ruled out fungus, bacteria or parasites, I decided to try treating with Zyrtec, 5mgs each evening.  I decided on an evening dose as the drug would start to work most effectively with in a couple of hours and for the first time all Spring and Summer, we all slept with being awoken with Lola's and Tinkerbells furious scratching and chewing noises keeping us all awake. 

After a week, of no itching, I tried removing the pred.  Yay!  The Zyrtec stopped the symptoms all by it's self!   Then, I decided to switch their bath shampoo to a colloidal product with an oatmeal base and my first product was the Aveeno Baby colloidal soothing baby bath.  Oh my gosh, massaged some into Lolas wet fur and distracted her for about 3 minutes so the lather with the oatmeal could sit on her skin before washing off.  She tolerated this just fine.  After towel drying her, I could see that a few of those scabs had actually fallen off. The lesions on her body began to disappear over the course of weeks and it was obvious that she enjoyed the soothing results from those scabs shedding.  

Both will have the occasional rash flair up but no more barfing or frantic scratching chewing.  This is a genetic condition so don't expect to see a lower eosinophils count.  I did the above treatment without having a CBC to check eosinophil levels. This treatment plan, which my Vet is aware of and approves of, really just addresses the resulting miserable symptoms.However, Tinkerbell just had her annual exam and her 'Geriatric' blood work done.  Yes, her eosinophil level was high but for the first year we have lived her, she is fairly free of her scabby skin lesions.   Because one cat has the full on syndrome, I did see if a 'Sensitive' diet would be an additional benefit for Lola's gastro presentation.  I can't know if the decrease in barfing (no food included just tummy juice) is due to the Zyrtec alone or if the Sensitive diet helps that most.  Just make sure that you give her pill on a regular timed basis; every 24 hours. 

Wiki has a good definition of empirical treatment:  ' Empiric  therapy or empirical  therapy is therapy based on experience and, more specifically, therapy begun on the basis of a clinical educated guess in the absence of complete or perfect information'  ...   in this case, we did a 'rule-out' of bacteria, fungus or parasites)  and then tried treatment for then next most probably condition and as that was eosinophilia disease which called for the Zyrtec, a very safe product and approved for cats.    Hope this helps ;o)

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@kozmic kitty thank you so much for all that! (Sorry about the delayed reply! I've been a little busy). Sounds a lot like my Jasper! His started like I said around 4 or 5 months with a scabby rash all over his back just above his tail and the lower part of his stomach. A course of prednisolone fixed the rash (it was a 3 or 4 week course, quite long and I believe some antibiotics too) but he seemed to remain itchy. Before long we thought he'd sat in a hot frying pan. His back paws blistered strangely and he got spots that looked like this
(this isn't him but it was on both hocks and looked just like that). A few weeks of antibiotics and antiseptic sponging and cream helped them to finally heal. Before another month was up he came out with these purple swellings on his ear tips (this one is him): They got bigger and bigger and more and more swollen until they scabbed over and all his fur fell out of his ear tips. We thought he'd been bitten by a mosquito but it happened again a few months later and he hadn't been out in his enclosure. He's been on prednisolone since that time (or macrolone, 5mg a day at times!) ever since and like you the elimination diet made no difference at all. I can't seem to get him any lower than 2.5mg of prednisolone every day before he's tearing his fur out in chunks, scratching and overgrooming. Unfortunately we just finished trialing zyrtec at 5mg a day and it didn't make any difference :(

He also suffers quite a bit of aggression and is an odd cat. Whether that's just him or if it's a result of how he feels all the time I'm unsure. He definitely does not like being patted or touched.

Thank you for the advice and all the information! I appreciate it. I will be printing it off and mentioning it to my vet when we see her in the next couple of weeks :) We've (sort of) ruled out food, he had a sticky tape test done for parasites/mites which was clear (although apparently he had quite a bit of pollen in his fur at that moment despite being an indoor kitty) and the blood work. Going to a specialist would involve taking him for a 2 hour trip (one way) and a lot of money only to find inconclusive results potentially anyway.

kozmic kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh good Grief.  That poor cat.  Those lesions look so miserable.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that those two lesions in the pictures that are side by side are infected/cellulitis.  I was about an hour late in getting the evening dose of zyrtec last night and Lola went bizerk on her back.  Those scabs had so dried and were so small.  She ended up with a patch about two inches in size with about 10 sores the size of lentils and right down to the wet red tissue.  I got her pill in, shaved her back, shampooed her back with the Aveeno Oatmeal soap, sprayed it with Vetricin and then wiped it with a Douxo pad.  A terrific skin disinfectant product with 3% Chlorhexidine as the active anticeptic ingredient.  Today, much improved and the sores have begun the healing process.  Douxo is a terrific produce.  My vet advised this for me to clean the really deep naso-labial folds on one of my little persians face.  She would get water or eye moisture there and it would get raw and sore. This would clean it up and heal the red (cellulitis) tissue. Great to have on hand.  I by mine of Amazon because its much cheaper.  Also, I wash my hands before unscrewing the lid, take out a pad with as litle handling as possible and peel it to make two layers instead of one.  They are a bit spendy and this way I get two for one.  I sure hope your guys feel better.  We know that we can never leave them with a cat sitter cause this stuff needs to be stayed on top of cause it can so easily flair from the dried scabs which seep to get smaller but never completely go away, to open sores if the scabs are picked off with even a bit of chewing.  We bought a trailer so we can take our kitties camping with us!