Yowling for no reason.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Does he have enough toys, catnip, treats etc? When my cats are getting antsy and I just don't have the energy or time to play with them i throw down some catnip and let them enjoy themselves.
Zane's immune to catnip and ignores toys (except for 'Da Boid', and that only for a few minutes). Because he's so fat, the vet doesn't want me to give him treats.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zane was particularly bad this morning. I woke up at 5:00 am with no voice. I sent a text to my boss that I wouldn't be in, and went back to bed. At six Zane started to yowl. I patted the bed and he jumped up and started mixing. I reached over to pet him and he bit me.

I grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and held him down. Then I picked him up (not by the scruff--supporting him properly) and carried him into the bathroom and shut him in. I ignored the yowls as I went back to bed. When he had been quiet for about five minutes, I let him out.

About ten minutes later, the yowling began again. Back into the bathroom he went. Again, I let him out when he was quiet and showed signs of staying that way. So far, no relapses. He may finally be getting it into his fuzzy little feline equivalent of a brain that when he yowls for no real reason, there are unpleasant consequences.

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is possible but can even fixed male cats go into some kind of "Heat"? mabey he is calling for a mate. Even though he doesn't have the proper equipment the instincts are still there.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of that, but it may be as good an explanation as any.

He's asleep right now.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, he's been reasonably good. He still gets these yowling jags, but not as bad, and I've taken to ignoring it as much as possible.

Tonight, though, I couldn't. He went into a jag, combined with rubbing against me as though he wanted to be petted. I sat down and he jumped onto my lap, and as soon as I touched him he bit me. I pushed him off my lap and proceeded to give him the cold shoulder. I wouldn't let him near me for about 10 minutes, then when he came back and let me pet him I praised him to the skies.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think that is a great idea.
To ignore him when he bites you and when he is being good THAN give attention. How long have you had him? I wonder about cats that have been adopted, sometimes you just don't know what kind of life or experiance they have had.

My sisters new adoptee will bite but they've learned his warning signs and can kinda sense when he will do it. Who knows what his life was like before them??

My Fiona can get nippy too. She was a stray and is very defensive. It took her along time to learn to tolerate petting and to enjoy it. I still need to be careful and watch for her warning signs as well.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's been my cat for about two years; before then I shared him with my late father who found him about six years before that.

Usually he gives warning signs which I respect and will back off, but sometimes, with no warning, CHOMP.

dogstar5988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first got my cat Panther she was up most nights yowling and meowing all the time. There are still days when she is a pest and meows at me for no reason (other than wanting attention) when i am trying to sleep. She gets the crazy's too and I'm pretty sure she thinks of me as another cat because she will sometimes run up to me and bite me and then run away (prance or skip would be better words). I'm pretty sure she just wants me to act like a cat and chase her around and play with her. I would keep doing what you are doing and hope that she starts to understand I guess.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
People have suggested that I get another cat for Zane to play with, but Zane HATES other cats. Father had another cat when he first got Zane, and Zane and PurrPuss were like the Two Cats of Kilkenney.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 16yo Kevin started similar symptoms, especially about howling madly around the water not being fresh enough. He was also losing weight, had voracious appetite, and drank large amounts of water. His howling was like he had his leg stuck in a bear trap or something (blood curdling).

In his case, we proved he had hyper-thyroidism with a blood test at the vet's office. I have had him on 5ml (2x) Methimazole for a number of months and his howling hasn't stopped completely, but is much reduced.