Your name...do you like it?

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes and no. I was named after my grandfather (my mother's biological father who died of cancer almost 20 years before I was born), so I like that I'm connected to a love one that way. But I hate how my first name and my last name begin with the same letter...it's redundent. I also usually go by Rob, and I just think that the b blends into my last name too much so it usually comes out sounding like one word "Robrichard"....of course I hate having a last name that is a first name anyway

If you put my whole name, including middle together, it's not bad, but I don't want to be one of those people who have to use the whole name...it sounds too uppity

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well ive come to terms with my name!

Its Francesca, I used to hate it when i lived in italy there was atleast 3 - 4 Francescas in each class! Then when i moved to Australia, i completely hated it how everyone said it in a weird accent and my teachers thought it was too long to say so they started calling me Fran.

I was supposed to be named Catherine like my mother, and I do feel a connection to the name, i guess if i ever have a Daughter her name is going to be Catherine.

On that note, for some reason my new nickname is Kitty

patch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a Jane....I don't mind my name, but I don't like my middle name (Elizabeth). I just don't really think it suits me *shrug*

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like my name `Sarah' and I always have. I also like that it means princess!!
. My middle name is Penelope and I really never told anyone when I was younger because I really hated it, but actually I like it now because I was named after my grandmother and I think it's a pretty name. I did, though, always think it was cool that my initials were S.P.Y.

Max changed his name by deed poll two years ago. It wasn't that bad before but he hated it, and changed it to Max after having been called that for a few years. He used Max as his stage name and then it just became his name and so he made it formal.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is Lacey. the only thing I don't like about it is everyone's constant mispellings of it! One of my Grandma still spells it Lacy. That is probably the most common spelling. I'm always afraid when I even have had checks made out to me with it spelled wrong....luckily no bank hasn't said anything.

I like that my name isn't too common but not a wacky out there name either. My mom tried doing that with all of our names. My sister Crystal thinks her name is more common now though....

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind Rebecca, but a lazy teacher who just could not use another syllable changed it to Becky, which I hate. I started using Rebecca or Becca at work, and I kind of like Becca. It only took me about 40 years to be called by a name I kind like.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never thought about it. I was the only Courtney in school until about 4th grade and there were 2 of us....then high school came and there were about 6.....

I love it now. Everyone compliments me on how pretty it is. My middle name is Lynn and I have no idea where my dad got that from but I was named Courtney after my sister's best friend at the time

Mom wanted to spell it Kourtney but that looks funny. I'm kinda partial to Kortney. People are kinda partial to Cortney

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

I like my name `Sarah' and I always have. I also like that it means princess!!
. My middle name is Penelope and I really never told anyone when I was younger because I really hated it, but actually I like it now because I was named after my grandmother and I think it's a pretty name. I did, though, always think it was cool that my initials were S.P.Y.

Max changed his name by deed poll two years ago. It wasn't that bad before but he hated it, and changed it to Max after having been called that for a few years. He used Max as his stage name and then it just became his name and so he made it formal.
Reminds me of that Simpsons episode when Homer changed his name to Max Power... someone compliments him on his name and he says "Thanks. I got it off a hair dryer"

Sorry. I watch too much cartoon.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to hate my name because its different. Its Farrah. I used to get a lot of, "like Farrah Fawcett, Heh-heh?" or, "someone must have really liked Farrah Fawcett, Heh-heh" (Don't know why they have to laugh like that
).

But, anyway, I hate to have to give my name over the phone because I feel so stupid saying, "Farrah--with an "F" as in Frank". I used to say, "Farrah, like Farrah Fawcett" until people started having no clue as to who she is, then I felt old, so I no longer use that.

I have been called Vera, Sarah, Tara, Ferrell, Hannah (I get that a whole lot?)--almost everything but my name. Its really difficult at my job because I work with elderly people and that's where I get called Hannah the most.
But overall, I would give my name 2 thumbs up. Besides, my BF has an unusual name and if I have kids, they, too, will suffer the ill fortune of an odd name. You appreciate it when your older.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I like my name Shauna. I too like the fact that it's not a really common name. I knew a couple people growing up with that name but they spelled it Shawna. You don't see it it spelled with a "u" very often so the name itself is still pretty unique.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

I have been called Vera, Sarah, Tara, Ferrell, Hannah (I get that a whole lot?)--almost everything but my name.
I get Connie, Donnie, Lonnie, Ronnie, Honey, Jonnie and Bunny. For some reason Bonnie is the very last way they will try to pronounce it. Odd because it is a simple name.

lochnessmonster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine is Audrey.
I hated when I was young and to be honest have never really come to terms with it.
My mother picked my name thumbing through a TV guide many moons ago and literally put her finger on the page and there it was. Glad she put so much effort into it!!
I was the only one through my entire school life and I only have only ever known 2 others personally since. Its just not that common here in Blighty.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

According to my father and his mother, I was supposed to be named Florence Ethel after his mother. Thank god my mom changed it at the last minute. Father wasn't there when I was born so she used the name she liked. His mother was so angry she hated us all. She wasn't a good person. So glad I wasn't named after her!
My grandmother wanted to name my mother after 2 of her favorite siblings - Harvey and Pearl.
Luckily grandpa got to the doctor before grandma came to and named Mom for her mother. (Grandma used a shortened version). Mom's middle name is that of her greatgrandmothers - who all went by the same name!

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I have my days
My name is Mackenzie... and I get tired of spelling it out for everyone all the time
But I always get compliments on it, but I suppose people would think differently if THEY had my name!

I don't know what I'd change it to if I could, but I never will- one of my co-workers sons' name is Mackenzie - its actually a male name.
My best mate in Primary School was named Mackenzie and I used to call her Kenzo. She would always want to switch names with me because she liked Katherine a lot more.

I quite like my name really. The only thing that annoys me is when people call me Cathy but most of my mates tend to either call me Cat, or Kit. My dad is pretty much the only person that can get away with calling me Katie.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't like my name (Patricia), and didn't feel comfortable with it until sometime in high school, I think. Actually, I didn't feel a connection with any of my names because I felt they weren't really mine. Patricia is my maternal grandmother's name, Jean in also my mother's middle name (which I'll probably pass down, too), and then, of course, my last name was may father's. Sometime when I was a teenager I decided that I had made the name my own, and I love my name now.

Patricia is nice because there were hardly any "Patricias" in my classes through school. My twin sister is named Erin, and there were always a few of those around (she wasn't named after anybody, though!). However, I couldn't write my name out fast enough, so I shortened it to "Pat" just to make it easier on myself, even though I hated that name. Unfortunately it stuck throughout elementary school, and sometimes people still call me it. "Pat" always reminds me of some fat german nurse; I really have no idea why; it's just a short and ugly name, um, no offense to any Pats out there; my grandmother goes by "Pat". I managed to get people to call me by Patricia or Tricia after elementary school, so that was good. I equally like being called Patricia, Tricia, or Trish (though no one caalls me that). I can't stand it when people spell Tricia "Trisha", though.

Some people will just call me "Pat" when I tell them my name. I hate that, but I don't correct them if I'll never speak to them again, and I've found that most people who just insist on calling me "Pat" will not stop even if I have corrected them three times. Usually if this is the case, I'll just let them call me that since it's a losing battle, but it helps if I really like them. My maternal grandfather calls me Patty, which I like, but he is the ONLY one allowed to call me that, because otherwise I hate it (but it's better than Pat).

When my sister and I were born one of us was supposed to be a boy (oops!), so they had male names picked out, too. I would've been Peter Robin (Jeez, thank god I wasn't! They both liked the "Peter Rabbit" stories. And Robin may have also come from the Boy Wonder.), and my sister would have been Kevin Patrick, which also would have been the name used if there were a boy and a girl. Kevin is my dad's first name, but his middle name was always the one used, even when he was a baby, so I don't know if it or Patrick would have been used. I hope my paternal grandmother was never miffed about neither of being named after her, since, technically I was named after my maternal grandmother, but she had such awful names (Sorry, Grandma (RIP)!)! Thelma Ernestine, for god's sake!

Tricia

EDIT: I found something my Mom wrote on this subject on Yahoo! Answers:

"My dear departed mother in law was named "Thelma Ernestine". When I named my twin daughters, I named one of them after my mother "Patricia". My mother in law begged me not to pass on her name cause she hated it all her life and didn't want her grandchild to be stuck with it. Now that is love."

Aww, I love you, Grandma!

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, my name is Joanne. (Surprised, aren't you?
) To be quite honest, I am not terribly fond of my name. It is often misspelled and more often mispronounced. Joanna, Joan, Joanie, Jo-annie, Jean (my guess is people misread it as Jeanne). I've heard it all. I think I started to not like my name when kids would say my name with a fake Southern drawl, trying to annoy me. It worked.

Almost all of my close friends and family call me Jo, which my mom started calling me as a kid. I prefer it to Joanne for the most part, though professionally I go by Joanne. But please, no Facts of Life references. And if you start singing me Kool and the Gang's "Joanna" I might have to punch you. Thanks.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Eth as in Ethel and Ne as in Never

and don't even get me started on my middle names, they couldn't go with one they had to make the family happy and give me 3 dumb middle names, but at least they are all pronounceable
Well, I was pretty close. I always thought it was Eth-Knee... instead of Eth-Neh.

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Oh something funny i just thought about- hehe and he can NEVER know i told ya'll:

Colin's middle name is: WINGATE
i named one of my bettas that just to tease him once- it was funny
LOL... That is funny! My fiance likes his name but hates his initials... they are M.I.C. (K.E.Y. M.O.U.S.E!) He got that a lot.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is Monica and as a child I always wanted to be "Susan"..As an adult, I like my name (except when Bill Clinton was "NOT" intimate with Monica Lewinsky), I got teased to no end having the name Monica.