Young Queen And Only One Newborn....

KimOKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there.. first of all I'm not brand new to the site you guys were a savior to me almost a year ago when I needed some advice and reassurance but I never thought I would find myself in a predicament again..
I did review your rules and regulations of the site about posting, comments, opinions, Etc.
I agree 100% about having your cat spayed or neutered, as it's too heartbreaking to know what the outcome is for many!
That being said, I wasn't proactive in a timely fashion.. I had several appointments to have my Gracie fixed and the odd thing is, every morning of her appointment she was just gone missing! I could not find her and I do have a cat door because I have other cats but usually when she's inside for the night, she's in bed with me and it's all good! I just feel I need to tell you this because it was so strange that she disappeared on the day of every appointment, every time!! A few weeks went by, yes life is busy, this is my own fault, with a new job and only having one day off during the week, my vet only does spay/neuter on certain days, etc.. but again I shouldn't of put it off.
It was just 2 weeks ago that I noticed Gracie was looking a little pudgy and I jokingly said my luck your pregnant. Well I got right on it ,made yet another appt, for this week. And let me back up and say, I've had/seen pregnant cats, so I really thought I would have known if Gracie was like far along pregnant because honestly she was not big!! I come home Tuesday night to hear noise, meowing... I was just totally shock ,just baffled, panicked and just beside myself.. there was Gracie giving birth!!! I rushed to do everything as she delivered in the garage which is not what I feel, a good place, I got everyone in a huge box with a blanket put her up in the spare room where it could be quiet and alone, warmer, along with food and litter box.
Now, Gracie came from her mom Katie, that's still here ( and this is the spare room where Gracie was born) Katie had 4 babies and I feel like she was pregnant forever ,I knew she was pregnant and weeks had gone by as I patiently waited and got Lil nesting areas ready for her as I researched and read pregnant ,nursing cats, what to expect, all of that, for what seemed like weeks, which is why I'm so shocked that how could I not know Gracie was pregnant?? I feel horrible! she honestly didn't look it. Maybe it's perhaps because she was early? As there was only two kittens?!! I was up all night with her wondering if more were coming.. but no..
and one baby, I was very worried about, it just didn't look right, part of its tail was missing one of its legs was just...I don't want to go into detail cuz I don't need to cry about it again, but that kitty didn't make it..
Now that I've given you an entire history LOL I was actually inquiring about the fact that there's only one kitten ? It seems as of now, mom and baby are doing fine! this one kitten is very vocal and it's already moving around and it was just born Tuesday night and here we are Thursday.. I don't recall the litter I had last year being so developed? Anyway I just finally found my scale so I can weigh the one baby and keep up on it, but does anyone know if there's any extra special care that is involved if there's only kitten? Will it still develop okay will it stay warm enough when Mama gets up to go to the bathroom or even leave for a few minutes? I was off today so I was able to observe a lot and she seems to be doing great. she only leaves to use the litter box or get a bite to eat or just to come out and be nosy for a few minutes and she's right back in there with her baby. But is there anything extra I should do? Like a small stuffed animal in the Box or something so when she's gone there's something to snuggle or is that not safe? And what about the kitten being so vocal is that normal? I don't recall my litter last year making noise at 2 days old. It's not constant and it seems like it's only when Gracie goes back in the box with her and she's noisy until she starts nursing... any advice is appreciated!!
Thank you for listening to me babble!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like this baby is feisty and demanding and that’s a good thing since she’s the only one. I recommend a heating pad set on LOW and placed underneath the blanket in the nest. A small soft stuffed toy close to the kitten’s size may give her a “littermate” to snuggle with when mom gets up.

So sorry about the other kitten. These things happen.

You didn’t notice mom was pregnant because she only had 2 babies. When it’s time to spay her this time - when baby is 8 weeks old - keep her closed up in a room the night before. :)

Keep us posted. We’d love to see a picture of the baby when you get a chance!

K KimOKitty

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you want more kittens, your good momma could perhaps do some fostering? Just make sure any fosterlings are reasonably healthy. You dont want to draw some disease on your momma and baby you already have.

Say, you contact the vets around, whom perhaps know of a momma whom got a very big litter.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you make sure that mom does not get outside again before her spay? She can get pregnant again even within a week of delivery.