wrong parents on CFA reg papers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fairy_kitten

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

You might want to be a bit careful about what you say on a public forum, also taking photos off her website you could run into copyright issues.

I'm not saying she didn't do the wrong thing with you, but copy and pasting her private emails to you could get you into trouble.
I will edit them

fairy_kitten

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

You might want to be a bit careful about what you say on a public forum, also taking photos off her website you could run into copyright issues.

I'm not saying she didn't do the wrong thing with you, but copy and pasting her private emails to you could get you into trouble.
I edited the emails off

fairy_kitten

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Just keep them printed for any lawyer/judge to be seeing. Most of us have enough info about this
I will do that I have every email saved. Thanks Fairy_kitten

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel really bad for you about all this. There is no such thing as a Devon with long hair. And there is no way on this earth that a crossbreed should have been sold to you at that price*. I have a Cornish Rex x DSH crossbreed that I paid £50 for, advertised and sold as a moggy from an accidental mating. (I love him to bits! But the point is that he wasn't sold to me as anything more than a moggy, and I paid £50 for him which is about the going rate for a moggy around here).

So I think if you took this issue to court you ought to claim for the difference between the cost of a domestic kitten from a shelter and what you paid, plus the airfares or shipping (because you only paid that in order to get a specific breed of cat which you didn't end up with, provide copies of plane tickets, receipts, or credit card statements to the court to prove costs).

In all of this I haven't seen how the kitten is doing, I do hope the wee thing is happy and loved! I am sure he is, but the fact you adore him does not preclude the possibility of getting some money back from the so-called breeder. Don't offer to swap him (because all that breeders kittens are going to be of suspect lineage!), just try to keep the kitten and get your money back.

*Some breeds do have allowed outcrosses due to limited genepool, but if it were the case that you were purchasing a kitten which was the result of an outcross mating you should be notified beforehand and if you agree to an outcross kitten it should be in your contract and also in the registration papers.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ep,

I do know that in the original crosses of both Devon and Cornish there was an accidental Persian in the lines. I've known of 2 longhair Cornish that showed up. But they were petted out. They were pure Cornish tho. Once a recessive gene is there - its there for life.

But in this case, its obvious that the father of the kitten is a longhair mixed (or outcross - whatever the breeder chooses to call it). The kitten is NOT 100% Devon. Unfortunately according to the association, the breeder accepted the father as a shorthair cat - so the breeder lied when they registered this cat. The pedigree reflects shorthair, but in reality its a longhair.

Sad to think that breeders lie on paperwork when registering cats.

It might not be so bad if the kitten as least resembled a Devon in some way. The longhair Cornish looked 100% Cornish in head, body, etc. - just had a longer coat then it should have.

fairy_kitten

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I feel really bad for you about all this. There is no such thing as a Devon with long hair. And there is no way on this earth that a crossbreed should have been sold to you at that price*. I have a Cornish Rex x DSH crossbreed that I paid £50 for, advertised and sold as a moggy from an accidental mating. (I love him to bits! But the point is that he wasn't sold to me as anything more than a moggy, and I paid £50 for him which is about the going rate for a moggy around here).

So I think if you took this issue to court you ought to claim for the difference between the cost of a domestic kitten from a shelter and what you paid, plus the airfares or shipping (because you only paid that in order to get a specific breed of cat which you didn't end up with, provide copies of plane tickets, receipts, or credit card statements to the court to prove costs).

In all of this I haven't seen how the kitten is doing, I do hope the wee thing is happy and loved! I am sure he is, but the fact you adore him does not preclude the possibility of getting some money back from the so-called breeder. Don't offer to swap him (because all that breeders kittens are going to be of suspect lineage!), just try to keep the kitten and get your money back.

*Some breeds do have allowed outcrosses due to limited genepool, but if it were the case that you were purchasing a kitten which was the result of an outcross mating you should be notified beforehand and if you agree to an outcross kitten it should be in your contract and also in the registration papers.
Thanks!! Galadriel is doing very well she is very happy and very very loved regardless of the whole situation. Fairy_kitten

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwww, she sure is a cutie..so fluffy!! I know you love her regardless of the situation. I hope you get your Devon in the future. I am going to be hopefully having one more devon litter--that's if Bob can remember how to do "it". He'll get fixed once he gets my Bonnie pregnant. They've only produced one litter together and if he doesn't hurry up, he won't be able to. Have to get him fixed soon as we can't have 2 entire males running the house.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skewch

Awwww, she sure is a cutie..so fluffy!! I know you love her regardless of the situation. I hope you get your Devon in the future. I am going to be hopefully having one more devon litter--that's if Bob can remember how to do "it". He'll get fixed once he gets my Bonnie pregnant. They've only produced one litter together and if he doesn't hurry up, he won't be able to. Have to get him fixed soon as we can't have 2 entire males running the house.
Is it possible to have one whole male and an alter running around a house without issues? I am thinking of taking on Melanges only kitten from her last litter, a little black/white male. The breeder plans to use him to sire at least one litter, but she said he could live happily as a pet until the time comes.

I have always had females and the whole male thing has left me confused. I do not want to deal with spraying..so that has me concerned.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the non-neutered male. Some will live ok with neuters and not spray. Just have a room or cage available if the non-neutered male objects.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, what a mess. There's a lot of smelly things going on with this breeder.

I'd just like to say smething about longhair. The cream and white, longhaired male you posted a pic on most certainly is a Devon Rex. He's a longhaired Devon Rex. The longhair gene is present in the population and it can pop up anywhere without the help if oucrossing. The founding father Kirlee himself carried the longhair gene! The gene is in the population and we have to live with it (if we don't DNA test it away).

Of course longhaired Devon Rexes can't be show cats since it's a shorthaired breed, but a longhaired cat with wavt fur most certainly can be 100% Devon Rex.

Just wanted to add that information.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True - both the Cornish and Devons have the longhair gene. But IMO the longhair doesn't look Devon enough. And even if its 100% Devon - the paperwork says the cat is a SHORTHAIR - and that is falsifying all the paperwork!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mom appears to be 7 years old.
There was a picture of her as a kitten on a site from 2002.
The father is registered in Cfa as a shorthair also.
My sister did call them and was told to get a Dna test and a lawyer.
I have seen all the emails and there are so many contradictions.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anita1216

Is it possible to have one whole male and an alter running around a house without issues?
I have an alter and a whole male living together without problems. They get along very well.
I bought a third male (whole adult) who got along just fine with the other whole male, but the alter didn't want anything to do with him and was very aggressive towards him. Things were getting worse, so the new cat moved few days ago to live with my friend (we had agreed before I bought the cat that if problems occur, she can take the cat). I miss him terribly, he lived 2 months here.

I think that if you get the male as a kitten, there shouldn't be much problems, but in my case an adult male was too much for my alter who is 'the boss' around here. This episode didn't change anything between the alter and the other whole male, they are still fine.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

True - both the Cornish and Devons have the longhair gene. But IMO the longhair doesn't look Devon enough. And even if its 100% Devon - the paperwork says the cat is a SHORTHAIR - and that is falsifying all the paperwork!
Well, he's got wavy coat.
He's not a typed Devon Rex, but definately a Devon Rex although I'd never breed him.

Of course he should be registred as longhair, no doubt about that.