Would you adopt a cat that hasn't been tested?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're right in your beliefs. You don't want to possibly lie or hurt anyone by giving them what could be a ill kitten. I have a feeling you would be the type that would likely feel personally guilty for it if you did. Since they haven't been tested yet, the rescue's idea to bring them in to a store (wasn't it weekly?) is absurd.

And to answer the other question, no, I would not adopt a cat or kitten who was not tested and negative. I have other cats in my home and will not bring any cats in who haven't been tested yet - I am responsible for my cats care and will not risk them like this, ever.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You're right, different question, completely different response. I agree that it would be irresponsible to allow someone to adopt a cat who has not been tested when you have control over that aspect.

When I brought Goldy into the house she had been living outdoors for at least 3-4 weeks. She was obviously someone's pet: very friendly, really wanted to be indoors, litter box trained, etc. I put a lost-and-found ad in the paper but got no response. One of my piano students wanted to take her, which was fine with me since I wasn't looking for a third cat, but I said not until I had her checked out by the vet. I didn't want to give a sick kitten to anyone. Sooo . . . the vet says yes she's healthy, she's also pregnant.

Result, piano student's mom says no pregnant cats, which means I still have Goldy and her three kittens. My vet won't spay or neuter until 4 months so I didn't even start advertising them for adoption until the were over 3 months old. I wasn't about to send them out intact even to someone who promised to get them fixed.

Now they have all had their shots, testing, spay/neuter but I'm having a hard time rehoming them. You're right about so many people wanting really small/young kittens.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have agreed with you prior to dealing more with the administration of the shelter. Very few of our kittens are returned (or show up as strays later) but many of our older kittens are because they don't adjust as easily to their new homes.

People want that cute younger stage and will just go elsewhere to get it. The number of kittens we have that grew up in the shelter because they arrived at 16 weeks compared to 8 is rediculous.

I would be more upset at a shelter that told me they tested negative which in many cases would lead to the cats being integrated earlier because it was preceived to be safe and then find out later that they were positive because a test so young was innaccurate

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKitties

Let me ask this instead. If you were fostering kittens in your home and you had no time limit on how long you could keep them (i.e. nothing was forcing you to get them out by a certain date), would you want to wait to get them tested before adopting them out to somebody? If you were the rescue that I was working with, would you think it silly for me to not want to adopt them out until I had them tested?
I would not feel right about adopting out a kitten who has not been tested, because it could expose the new owner's other pets to illness. I took in some feral kittens, and had them tested on their first vet visit for that reason. I think it was a good idea about letting prospective owners know that it's something they could test for and then return the kitty to you if there's an issue. The rescue may not have the funds to get the testing done, or they might not know. It wouldn't hurt to ask, right?

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think my vet said they can test false positive if too young but not false negative. is that right? So in other words if a young kitten is tested and comes back negative you're pretty safe but if it's positive you would have to retest when they're a little older. Our vet tested at 13-14 weeks( estimated age as Manny was a stray) They did say when I first brought him in they wanted to wait at least till his 2nd appt. I quarantined from my other 2 for those 3 weeks just in case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

The rescue may not have the funds to get the testing done, or they might not know. It wouldn't hurt to ask, right?
The rescue does have the funds. The kittens will be tested at their next vet appointment, which is when they're 4 months old. They're currently about 3 weeks away from that point. They can't be tested until they're 4 months old.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I wouldn't take them to adoption days - go with what you are comfortable with. I realize they will grow a lot in 3 weeks - but if people are that superficial then they don't deserve one of your babies.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKitties

The rescue does have the funds. The kittens will be tested at their next vet appointment, which is when they're 4 months old. They're currently about 3 weeks away from that point. They can't be tested until they're 4 months old.
Oh!
I'm silly. They're still babies at 4 months old, people who overlook them because of a month's age difference clearly don't deserve them

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not adopt a cat/kitten that hadn't been tested. I have to look out for my current baby.

'course, I wouldn't adopt a three-four month old either... I prefer a bit further from kitten crazies...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems that most people feel the same way I do. I suppose I can post them on Petfinder now, but make a disclaimer that they have not been tested and that they will not be available to go to a new home until after the tests have been done. This way I might be able to line up homes for them so that once they are tested and (hopefully) the tests come back negative, they'll have a home to go to right away.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bravo to you for opting to be personally responsible, compassionate and caring toward the kittens and their prospective loving, forever homes. Testing before offering them for adoption is the right thing to do and I can't imagine any reputable rescue not insisting on this.