Would She Be Able To Start Reproducing Milk Again For Her Kittens?

Tiffany Maddox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had kittens. Before she had them, she couldn't decide if she wanted to be inside or outside. Seriously, I let her in and out probably a dozen times within a few hours. I went to bed, and she had the kittens outside. I know; I felt terrible. I knew the time was coming, but I didn't know the time was that close. I would have made her stay inside. Where she had them, I couldn't get to them under my neighbor's shed in a hole. I wasn't able to even see them. I did tell her every night to bring me her babies, and I would help her take care of them inside where it's nice and safe.

This past week, it has been storming and the temperature has dropped. She has been meowing like crazy and staying around the house more the past few days. I thought she lost her kittens. I brought her inside last night, and she didn't bother to go back outside. Normally, she would just come up to the house to eat (outside) and run back.

Today, I got a phone call. The kittens have been found. She moved them to the attic of a wood shop. They fell between the wall. They had to remove the drywall from the wall to get the kittens out. They are fine! They were just a little underweight and hungry. I got replacement milk because I knew the mom was not full of milk anymore. They are still trying to suck their mom.

I'm not for sure exactly how long they have been separated. I know since Friday afternoon. Would she be able to start reproducing milk again for her kittens?

P.S. I do have a scale and weighing them several times a day before and after feeding with replacement milk.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, with a little luck she should begin produce milk again. But take the safe before the unsafe, and proceed to feed them this kmr. You see on the scale if they do gain, they shall gain minimum 6g a day, but most healthy kittens add 10+ g a day.
"Momma is always best", she is most pleasant too, so if there is milk in momma, they will anyways get it even if you do feed them manually.
You know you shall have them warm - in practice have a heating pad with them, unless momma is with them.

Does she take care of them, washing licking etc?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the kittens? How much do they weigh? How much and how often are you feeding them?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She shouldn't have stopped producing milk just overnight. In fact, she should have been overly engorged! It takes quite a while for the milk supply to dry up. If she hadn't nursed since Friday afternoon, the kittens would be dead from dehydration. So she must have gotten to them sometime in between.

So just keep an eye on them, weigh them often to see how they're doing. If she willingly nurses them and cleans them, I'd stop supplementing for half a day and see what their weight looks like, that should tell you whether she's making enough milk or not.