Low Cost Spay/Neuter Needed/pregnancy help

mhb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a stray turn up on our porch that was heavily pregnant. We have brought her inside and set her up with much as we can afford to give her, but getting her spayed after she gives birth/after the kittens are weaned is too much for us to handle financially and i haven't heard back from any rescues that i have contacted in the area for help.

Last edited by a moderator:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping this cat.

Low Cost Veterinary Care Directory
I believe that there is a listing for almost all states here, if you are in the US.
Financial Help For Cat Care.
Animal Food Bank Directory

These references may help you. Look through all of the resources that they offer. If your state is not listed, but a neighboring one is you might contact them as they may know of a resource that can help you in your area. Information changes sometimes in this general area and places both open and close without updating all information.

Specifically google "low cost spay/neuter in (the name of your state/county/or city).

You should find references. Rescues may or may not do low cost spaying as a service depending on how they are set up. They may only provide this for their own rescues. As for those you have called, if you have received no word, call back. Do not ask them to take the cat or kittens, even if down the road you will need homes. That can be managed later. Many overworked rescues are on high alert for anyone who wants them to take an animal. Also stress how you have taken this cat in off the streets, did not turn her into a shelter, are trying to do your part to help, and plan on keeping her.

You might try local vets offices and ask if they know of any low cost services.

Post the question on the nextdoor.com website as people in your area may have faced this problem.

Local animal shelters may know of services or even provide them, but make sure that you are asking about having her spayed and not about surrendering her.

Alley Cat Allies maintains a directory of volunteer feral friends by state. It can be hit and miss because it is all volunteer, but you might try using it to see if someone replies in your area who might also have a lead.
Feral Friends Network® Connect

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mhb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MOD NOTE: moved from another thread.

So my cat is pregnant for sure, Im feeling the babies move around and she’s quite large. My only concern is her vulva area has been quite swollen for a few days now and she’s had some creamish/ green discharge. Now we are at the stage where her vuvla is seemingly opening? Is this her cervix opening and going into labor? I’ve noticed it’s been doing this off and on for these few days. I’ll attach photos of the discharge, her area opening and her belly as i’m just wondering how close she is, i can definitely see the babies moving!! she doesn’t seem to be showing any signs of labor yet other than this.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? As I am going through the same thing with a stray that turned up at our house. Her discharge did NOT smell. She also has appeared to have a temperature below 99 for a few days it’s possible the temps were not accurate, but I tried to take several times just to be sure. But still nothing. I want to make sure everything is okay with her. But also don’t have the financial ability to take her to the emergency vet unless something is very wrong.
she has been licking herself much much more frequently today and her belly is super hard. Is it possible she is just taking her sweet time and all is okay and labor is soon??

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds fine and normal at end of pregnancy. Hard belly is normal as is licking lots. Belly gets hard at the end. She is probably very close — 2-3 days if not sooner. Be patient.

• Purraise
Reactions: mhb

mhb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She sounds fine and normal at end of pregnancy. Hard belly is normal as is licking lots. Belly gets hard at the end. She is probably very close — 2-3 days if not sooner. Be patient.
Is it normal for the kittens to stop moving as much before labor? They were ROLLING in there the other day but not much anymore. She also keeps going up high. Just want to make sure everything is okay!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, quite normal they stop moving as much as before because they are lined up in the birth canal ready to be born and now very squished. So we see lots of movement before and then little to none at the very end. Perfectly normal and labor should start soon!

mhb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, quite normal they stop moving as much as before because they are lined up in the birth canal ready to be born and now very squished. So we see lots of movement before and then little to none at the very end. Perfectly normal and labor should start soon!
I have found a discharge that looks to be brownish/slightly bloody in her nesting box (when I found the spot it was dried, so I am assuming that it was a small amount of blood) i believe it is my cats 9th(?) week of pregnancy. Is this cause for concern? She is still eating and drinking just fine. do I need to be worried?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, cats begin to have discharge towards the end. As long as it’s not much and she seems fine otherwise (eating, pooping, etc.), it is normal. She will likely lose her mucus plug soon as well.

mhb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, cats begin to have discharge towards the end. As long as it’s not much and she seems fine otherwise (eating, pooping, etc.), it is normal. She will likely lose her mucus plug soon as well.
Okay. Thank you for replying and being patient with my millions of questions. I just want to make sure everything is okay with her. I appreciate your help

mhb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_2800.jpeg

is that possibly part of the mucus plug?

mhb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I

I THINK WE ARE HAVING CONTRACTIONS!
Two kittens so far! At least one placenta (I honestly think they might have been twins. They were super close together but mom ate at least one of them she might have eaten both)

mhb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two kittens so far! At least one placenta (I honestly think they might have been twins. They were super close together but mom ate at least one of them she might have eaten both)
Up to six now. But one was not alive at birth. So five sweet precious kittens eating
I still think mom has more but I am unable to fully tell. She is taking a break for now

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's quite normal for the mother to take a break between kittens. As long as she isn't in active; labour, panting, straining or struggling for extended length of time, there is no need to worry. I have heard of kittens being born a day or two after their siblings. Has she passed all of the placenta too?

mhb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's quite normal for the mother to take a break between kittens. As long as she isn't in active; labour, panting, straining or struggling for extended length of time, there is no need to worry. I have heard of kittens being born a day or two after their siblings. Has she passed all of the placenta too?
I’ll be honest I only saw one full very obvious placenta. She kinda hid and turned her back to me for most of them. And I tried not to interfere with her cleaning and disconnecting the umbilical cords. But she cleaned and chewed around for a good bit after every one, so to my knowledge, yes. Is there something to watch for if she didn’t?

mhb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had not! I read it. I will keep an eye out. She is very tired. But has had three small bowls of KMR so far. The last two births were a bit more uncomfortable for momma, so hopefully all is well with her. She is happy and nursing at the moment. All kittens have gained a few grams of weight each since birth earlier today.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes it appears that mom has more but it’s just her uterus being swollen and after-birth contractions. Hopefully she is done. 5 living kittens is a big litter. The KMR will help with her calcium needs while nursing. Sounds like all is well!