Worried and Need Advice Very Sick Kitty

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovinmom828

Thanks everyone for the understanding and kind hearted words. Also Thanks for the Advice. I am hoping for some answers once we have this ultrasound done this morning. Have to be at the vet at 10 am this morning. I picked her up last night and layed with her for awhile and her motor started going and let out some big Purrrs I know she is a little fighter and she is going to get threw what ever is wrong. And I am going to do whatever I can for her. I wanted to just break down and cry but as strong as she is being and want to stay strong with her. Kera is my little baby and is a big part of our family
The love she has filled us with and how she had touched our hearts
and the Hearts of so many others. I know all of you are pulling threw right along with my family and I want to Thank all of you for the support and being there to listen. Nice to see everyone pull together when you need the support the most.

I sure hope something can be found out!!

Please keep us posted on what you hear!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone I finally have a update and have figured out what was wrong.
She has only one working kidney When they did the ultra sound it showed one reg kidney witch has and infection and one really small non working kidney witch they say looks like a birth defect and is just now effecting her since her one good kidney is infected. The gave us some meds for her to clear up the infection in the one working kidney But they said she would have a shorter life span because of this effect.

I want to thank you all for your support. I am going to just try and keep that one kidney heathly so she can live as long as possible. We will just have to keep going back to the vet every month to have her kidney looked at to make sure the infection is staying away and not getting worse.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you found out what was going on! But why would she have a shorter life because of it? Is it different with cats, because people can live fine with one kidney. Will the one that doesn't work have to be removed?

Anyway, thanks for the good news update!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Kristy Im so glad that you finally have an answer. You know now what to do with her meds and make sure she drinks lots of water. Hug her and keep her close.
I will definitely keep you and Kera in my thoughts and prayers.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definatly start getting more fluids in her... I would put her on wet food just to make sure she stays well hydrated... I'm so happy you finally got an answer. I know its not exactly what you where hoping for but at least you know now and can do everything possible to keep her healthy!

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you have an answer now. You are such a great mommy and I know your little one will lead a great life with you around.

Sending many healing vibes so that one kidney infection gets better real soon!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so good to hear you finally found the answer to Kera's problem. If the infection can be cleared up and she drinks lots of water she should do well. Hugs and good health vibes to little Kera.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you were able to get some answers. That's better then not knowing. At least I think so. I hope the medicine clears up the infection and your baby gets back to normal soon!

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the support

I don't know much about the kidney issue other than what the vet told me about it. And the other kidney that doesn't work is barley a kidney at all it didn't grow out completly when she was born just a birth defect and I talked to the Owner of the Manx Breeder her in Town and she said that Birth defects happen alot in these breeds of cats. When parts don't always grow out like they should. I don't know much about Kindey's in cats so if anyone has any info at all could they please pass it on to me Thanks. We are going to keep going back to the vet and getiing IV so she can get some fluids and we have a little dropper that we use here at the house to get her to drink water too. since she won't drink out of the bowl but she did eat a bit on her own so that is good news.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just a suggestion and it may or may not be helpful.. I know cats supposedly don't drink that much water, but I have to say.. we've never had *any* issue with ours drinking enough, since we got them one of those kitty water fountains. In fact, ours probably drink enough to be considered a high quantity of water (but it's attributed to how much they like the fountain, and not health issues) so you may want to consider it. I think the less expensive ones are about $30, and it's one of those things I'd swear by. They love it. Anyway.. it might be a way to get more water into her once she's feeling a little better. I don't know that it would help right now since she doesn't feel well, but it might once she's back on her feet.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have the big water container with the bowls attached to them so as the water goes down it will fill them up and we have a bowl of water sitting in the kitchen and a bowl of water sitting in the bathroom for them too. So there is water all around the house for the kitties. There are also an the container with the food that fill up by the water one and a bowl of food in the kitchen for them. we have 2 litter boxer one by the back door and one in the bathroom. We only have the 2 cats so I know there is plenty of water around for them and food. and Places for them to use the litter box.

I haven't heard of the fountain that is something to look in to thanks for the advice

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the little fountains.. both of the ones I have are like.. well, one has a little ramp that the water flows down, and the other has a mechanism that "bubbles" the water, both have filter systems. They like it, apparnetly, because it's "fresh" water. I think both of them were around $30, but I have to be honest and say they like the fountain style much better than the bubbler.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I am so glad you have found out what the prob is, and fingers crossed with things like keeping her hydrated and maybe different food to lessen the work on that remaining kidney, she could have a long life with you.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Kristy!!!
Poor little Kera
I'm so pleased you know what's wrong with her, but I'm so sorry it isn't exactly the best news!

I'll send lots of vibes for her good kidney and that it works perfectly fine for many many many years to come!

Take care, and big kisses to Kera and Howler from me and the girls

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read through your thread. Did your vet say there had been damage done to the one good kidney from the infection? If so, a great site for cats with chronic renal failure (crf) is www.felinecrf.org. It explains the test results, the various issues, how to treat then and much, much more etc.

I have two kitties at present with crf and one with a genetic kidney disease called Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) which has led to crf, it's a topic I am familiar with. You can pm me any time.

best wishes to your kitty getting better soon,

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor Kera! I do hope that now you know hte problem, you will be able to do all that is necessary for her to have as long and as good a life as possible.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice I have been trying to read up on kidney issues in cats. Yes she does have issues with the one working Kidney.

Pat & Alix yes i really need some more info on the crf so i will send you a pm and hope you don't mind some questions since I don't know alot about it all and really confused about it all.

Thanks everyone for the support and all the help you have given me and my family and Little Kera.