Worried about two cats I left behind

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonathand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess the thing that is getting to me is taking him away from his "home" he's had all these years.  If I knew that neighbor would take care of him(I'd give her the house and heated bed for winter)I'd be happy knowing he'd still be in the area he's lived his whole life and knows so well. I know she did foster a couple of dogs and she did have at least one cat she'd let outside- hadn't seen that cat in quite awhile though.  When I was taking all the bird feeders down I mentioned to her I was going to feel bad about the birds- she said she'd take over with that as she hadn't been feeding them because we had so many feeders out. Didn't think to mention the cats.  But I'm sloowwwllly starting to feel better about the female one being where she is now.  I just hope the dogs aren't freaking her out.

So who knows..like was said above- maybe it's meant to be for this black one too- me taking him in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What I just read sounds exactly like your laments of a few days ago over the female. You are working through the exact same process!

We've already told you that over the course of a couple of months he will forget about his old neighborhoof and accept his new environment. He will probably turn very friendly and be so relieved to have a home again.

I hope you make up your mind soon! Just sayin' :).

jonathand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL yeah I guess you're right. I guess I just became too attached to them. Years ago I didn't  care for cats...but they've grown on me.  If it were cats that I just noticed and decided to trap and bring to a shelter right away it'd be a lot easier.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think there is anything wrong with asking the neighbor to put out some food for this cat while you make your plan to trap. Especially if she cares about the cats in the first place. It is not like it would long term anyway. You just need some time to get that enclosure built up OR get a cage for him temporarily till you get the enclosure built. If you give her the food and bowls and ask her once per day around the time you want to trap him, then I bet she might be willing. Let her know to please be up front and honest about doing this and if she has any reservations, any at all, to please let you know. That it is alright if she is unable to do this.

Building that outdoor enclosure is an EXCELLENT idea on your deck outside but do make sure it is completely cat proof. If you put a tarp on top make sure it is also completely tapped down all the way around. Cats can climb fences and he may try to find his way out which would be awful for him and even more so for you if he got away. I will try to dig up a thread we have here on TCS about building your own enclosures.

Try not to feel so bad about having to move the female kitty whom is probably doing just great and now this black male cat. It is never a good idea to just leave stray/feral cats in their territory with no one to continue on reliably to care/feed the cats. Especially, if they were relying on you for food, etc. Sometimes, if cats only come around sporadically to your feeding stations then they do have other food resources. But the regular cats, always need to come with the caretaker when they move or be sent to a sanctuary OR an experienced barn caretaker who knows how to properly acclimate new feral cats. Your doing the RIGHT thing for both of these cats. Don't think otherwise and continue to forge forward with a plan for this black cat. He will be much safer with you and under your care.

side note: Once he has been in the enclosure on the deck for a couple of months time, then you may even begin to leave the door open for him to come and go. The longer you take with the release from the enclosure the better. They DO adjust to their confinement and begin to settle down. The hardest part is the beginning and our feelings over the guilt/worry about them being confined now when they were once free day/night. Believe me, they do settle down and realize that this a much safer life for them than fending for themselves out in the wild. PLUS - you will also be able to build a very strong bond with this guy during his confinement.

Article on how to build an enclosure: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/building-a-cat-enclosure It might have some helpful suggestions that you can implement on your deck and attach to the existing fence.

An older thread from 2009 with more pictures/ideas: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/202395/outdoor-cat-enclosure-pictures-included

And another older thread with added links to more options http://www.thecatsite.com/t/238246/cat-enclosures

Last edited:

jonathand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks once again for all the info. Those enclosure ideas/plans makes me wish I had property to take in a # of cats. The tarp should be easy to to just "staple" down all the way around. Would also attach the tops of the fencing to the boards. Didn't see the black one last night..even after driving around for a bit and checking later.

And in other news...it's been nice knowing you all. Going to post this last bit and disappear. The female cat that the lady so graciously took in...she says it's a MALE

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, best of luck! We are all rooting for you, and we're here should you want to come back with an update.

That explains why there were never any kittens!!!

Perhaps the black cat was a litter mate at one time. Who knows? He's probably out there somewhere.

Take care :).

jonathand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was joking about disappearing. It's a bit embarrassing finding out the cat is a male, although in my defense(as I explained to the lady in my naming of her...err..him)  the name I first had for him was Elijah- the name just popped in my head right away as I was thinking it was a male. Then changed it to Elisha (or however you'd spell it..I guess that one could be a boy or girl name)  when my friend was convinced it was a female. I did kind of check from time to time..but didn't see much under there- nothing like the black cat. Too much fur..I dunno.

In telling me the cat was a male, she had in the subject line "Eli update". Kinda wondered right away what was up. She must be reading my mind or reading this board..as she described the barn he'd be moved to and explained one other cat is there and they'd be getting wet food daily as well as dry food there all the time for them to eat. Heat lamps for the winter. Still would be nice to keep him myself but whatever happens at least he'll be fed etc.

"Eli" showed up about 4 years after we first saw the black one. I suppose it's possible but I think the black one is older. Them both being male may explain why "Eli" didn't want to share the garage with the black one?  My friend had named the black one Kitsy or however you'd spell it.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting. No shame in not knowing the sex though. Does the lady think Eli is already neutered?

The barn life sounds cozy all in all, and also sounds like you could reclaim HIM if you ever wanted to!

Glad you're not disappearing. LOL. I see now you meant you were hiding from embarrassment.

What's the black cat update? Still feeding him yourself? I have a feeling he is stealthy about when he shows up!

jonathand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She said no...said the money I gave her would be used to get him neutered. So yep..that makes it even funnier..I know.  What are his balls I just thought was a very hairy...you know what. Again, not like the black one. He has, or had, some balls! Still wonder if that's why he was gone for a year. Haven't been able to get a good look at him.

Yep, still feeding the black one. I'm thinking he's a bit of a hunter as well..gets some of his own food. Or just gets into too much trouble. There were times we wondered if he got locked in the neighbors shed etc when he'd be gone/not seen in awhile.

I'm actually off to that house now as a package was delivered there..forgot to change the address. Maybe the neighbor will be around....

inklaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad you didn't really disappear too.  I'm anxiously waiting to hear "the rest of the (success!) story"   No shame in guessing the wrong gender!  It's not always easy from a distance for sure.  Took us forever to really get a good look at Sky's manly bits.  We picked a pretty neutral name early on just in case he turned out otherwise.   My little niece was devastated when her little kittens Anna and Elsa turned out to be Anna and O'Malley.  She cried and cried "noooo, Elsa can't be a boy... they are SISTERS!"  lol.  

It's so great that you are taking care of these two kitties and making sure their futures are secured somehow.   I know Eli will love being a cared for barn kitty.  That seems like a great life for a cat!   

Best of luck finding, taming, and re-locating black kitty!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We have a member right now who thought the stray kitten she was feeding was a boy, until "Harry" disappeared and then turned up with a few kittens of her own. The cat still answers to Harry, btw.

Maybe the black cat is female, and the disappearances are kitten-related. I can't wait for this mystery to be resolved. :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: BELIEVE me.... been there, done that. It is SO hard sometimes to really tell and I have she's that ended up becoming he's and the other way around too. It happens ALL the time. You never really know until the vet gets a look at them on surgery day. And, yeah, that would explain why no kittens. Eli would have had none of that. ;)

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for the black kitty - HE/ SHE ( I am betting - He) ????!!!!! The sooner the capture, the better, and hope he comes back around soon. :bigthumb:

Last edited:

jonathand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
inklaura...it's almost like a Bruce Jenner thing for your niece..cute story though!

sarthur2..the only possible way this black one can be a female is if it's a sister of the one we were seeing before he disappeared. Same size..same goofy run..etc. No kittens that I'm aware of but I suppose it's possible someone else could have taken care of them.  I think I'd be like inklaura's niece if he ends up being a she!

Feralvr...I'm feeling better now
Have this weekend to build the cage if I go that route.  If I could get one of the garages cleared of my stuff I guess I could just put fencing where the door would be. 

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feralvr...I'm feeling better now :lol3: Have this weekend to build the cage if I go that route.  If I could get one of the garages cleared of my stuff I guess I could just put fencing where the door would be. 
:cross: :cross: that this all comes together for you and for this kitty. If there is a will there is a way and I can tell you really want to rescue this cat. :bigthumb: Give him a good life. :hugs: :rub: :vibes:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! I hope you can get something together this weekend for the little fella! I'm getting excited for you! :)

jonathand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still putting food out for him...just hasn't worked out to set a trap and be able to check it in the mornings. Haven't seen him since the last time I saw him..even coming back an hour later to see if anything is around.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad you're still leaving food. I think the only way you'll know for sure is to set the trap for a few nights running. You could begin putting food in the trap without setting it for now to create trust.