Worried about pregnant neighbor

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I'm confused?
Oh, I was telling Leah to try & get her neighbor to breastfeed. If she doesn't care that it's better for the baby, just tell her what a pain keeping the bottles sterilized is, especially in the middle of the night!

But the neighbor is a bit lax in the cleanliness area.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

I don't mean to laugh but I had too!

Fran, you're SO bad!
Thats why we love you....

(I had the same thought when I read this!)
LoL! im glad someone laughed and not thought i was crazy

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that the baby is ok and she's finally accepting your help! How did the trip to wal-mart go?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we didnt end up going to wal-mart. She was busy with family today. And wasnt expecting that. So that's good. I went to walmart anyways and got some of the stuff I couldnt live without after having a baby.
The good smelling "put your baby to sleep" lotion, and a couple other things.
I figure I'd let her have tonight to rest. I didnt bother her, and that seemed ok.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah

Well we didnt end up going to wal-mart. She was busy with family today. And wasnt expecting that. So that's good. I went to walmart anyways and got some of the stuff I couldnt live without after having a baby.
I figure I'd let her have tonight to rest. I didnt bother her, and that seemed ok.
You're doing as much as anyone can, and far more than most people would.

Good luck to all of you - I will keep you all in my thoughts.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have to say that after having both my boys I let everyone know that I did NOT want any company for the first week. It would be too hard with the baby's schedule and me adapting to it and we needed time to settle in. I actually let everyone know this about 2-3 months before they were born.

I think it's great that you're doing all this for her..You are a true saint!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Aw...you're so sweet! It is good that there is family - that's a bonus you didn't count on! I'm trying to remember the "can't live without stuff" and it was too long ago!
It was always nice to get diapers. Jeez. I just sat here for 5 minutes and couldn't think of a darned thing! Diaper wipes?

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Aw...you're so sweet! It is good that there is family - that's a bonus you didn't count on! I'm trying to remember the "can't live without stuff" and it was too long ago!
It was always nice to get diapers. Jeez. I just sat here for 5 minutes and couldn't think of a darned thing! Diaper wipes?
Well I also picked up this artical thing (how conveinent) that was on a rack near the bottles about how important it is to clean the bottles. And some bottle cleaners.
She's got diaper wipes. I remember a box of diaper wipes lasting a while for a newborn because they are so small.
I picked up some extra pacifiers because I also remember losing them all the time. Also picked up the most expensive diaper rash cream I could find. Just in case.
Hmm..I HAD to buy a couple cute newborn baby clothes too. I couldnt resist of course. And those cute little booties and hats. I had a girl, and she's a got boy, so it was fun to pick that stuff out.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well I also picked up this artical thing (how conveinent) that was on a rack near the bottles about how important it is to clean the bottles. And some bottle cleaners.
She's got diaper wipes. I remember a box of diaper wipes lasting a while for a newborn because they are so small.
I picked up some extra pacifiers because I also remember losing them all the time. Also picked up the most expensive diaper rash cream I could find. Just in case.
Hmm..I HAD to buy a couple cute newborn baby clothes too. I couldnt resist of course. And those cute little booties and hats. I had a girl, and she's a got boy, so it was fun to pick that stuff out.
You are incredibly thoughful.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I just read through this whole thread...It was like a soap opera wondering what was going to happen next. I'm glad things seem to be going well so far. I hope she can keep up with the new baby but it seems she might have quite a few people coming through to help

kuuyku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully, this child will act as a catalyst to get with reality. The choice, not to breastfeed, will be seen as a monetarily unsound decision; beacuse, not only is formula relatively expensive, but babies who are fed formula are sick more frequently which results in medical bills. Many physicians, including myself, recommend that babies be fed exclusively off of breastmilk for the first 6 months of life - the baby would not even require water! It is phenomenal. Anyways, consider youself saintly in the regard with which you are helping this woman. Remember though, if things take a turn for the worse - which I hope they will not - please make the right decision for the child and let social services handle the situation. Good luck.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought once the baby goes to formula they won't go back to breastmilk? I was told this by my SIL... I guess she had wanted to breastfeed her second son but there was some complication and they ended up bottlefeeding and he wasn't interested in going back. Something about that first taste?

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kuuyku

The choice, not to breastfeed, will be seen as a monetarily unsound decision; beacuse, not only is formula relatively expensive, but babies who are fed formula are sick more frequently which results in medical bills.
Although I agree that Breast Feeding is better, I dont agree with this statement here. I HAD to bottle feed. And my daughter is as healthy as anybody else's kid. She's been to the doctor ONCE for some puking...has never had an ear infection. And has only had ONE cold. So, I must say I entirely disagree with you on this. But that's a whole other topic.

Anyway-
So today her mom brought the baby into work. He is so tiny. He's got so many scratches on his face. My neighbors were not with her. And I was like "hey you gotta get some mits on this baby..he's scratching his face up pretty bad." She understood.
Well news is....Thier house is TERRIBLE! Cat pee everywhere, trash..etc. Her mom said she was not allowed in that house with that baby untill it was spotless. So they hired a cleaning crew to clean the whole house.
Which is going on right now. For right now she's staying with her mom.
Now here's the kicker-
She said to me "We're taking those cats to the humane society tonight."
And I was like "OOooo no you're not, my MIL will take them." (my MIL had already thought about taking them before)
and she said "yes we are...My husband is taking them tonight."
So AS SOON as I got home, I called MIL and she went straight over there and now she has them.
2 little calico babies. So adorable. MIL isnt sure if she's going to keep them, as she has a friend that wants 2 calico's. So either way, I kept them out of the shelter, and to one of two good homes.
Well for now..It seems her mom has things under control with the house and the baby. But I was in awe that my neighbors were not with the baby when she brought him to work. I guess the mom is taking care of him untill they get things straightened out at home. Wierd.
I didnt leave my kids side untill 6 weeks after she was born. It's just wierd to me. I feel relived her mom is helping out.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the parents are still kids. Their mom is HAVING to take over. Its so sad really. But I'm glad she at least forced them to clean. I wonder how they could afford the cleaning crew? Maybe when they are on top of things they can keep it up, sort of start over. Unfortunately with a baby to handle it will be only harder for them to change bad habits.

I'm so glad they don't have the cats anymore, and so glad you MIL was willing to take them! They don't need that extra responsibility right now.

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Alright. This is hard for me talk about because it's been irking me for quite some time. But she's almost about to have this child, and something has to be done, and I dont know what to do. Hopefully some of you can help me figure it out.

Or shall I be even worried about it?

My neighbor that lives behind me, is pregnant. I work with her too. She does not take care of herself or her home. She's due in July, and has no room for a baby. I've been in her house, and it smells horrid. There is junk all over the floors, and the litter box (she has two cats, and that's a WHOLE other story!) does not appear to ever be changed. You can smell her house from outside her door.

She smells very bad too. It's very hard to work with her because if you get within a foot of her, you actually get sick. She's been in trouble for not "properly grooming" herself at work too. They are always behind on rent. They do not have a car, or any baby items yet. It's almost 90 degrees outside, and they dont even have a fan. Thier phone has been disconnected a few times. She drinks Mountain Dew like it's water. Which is no good for baby. She pops tylenol like candy for headaches.

I couldnt imagine bringing a child into this home. I am so scared about it. She cant take care of herself, or her cats. How in THE WORLD is she going to take care of this baby?! I took her to our local state health insurance place so that she could get some help with money for Dr's Appts, and having this child. She's 7 months along, and has only been to the doctors three times.

She's always calling me for rides, and money, and asking if she can have all of my old baby stuff. She's asked if she can have an A/C of ours.

I just dont know what to do. I cant even take her anywhere now, because when she's in my car, I actually have to roll down all windows because of the smell. It's terrible.

I KNOW for a fact, I will be the one waking up in the middle of the night because she needs a ride to the hospital because she's in labor. I'm prepared for that one though.

So, Do you think I should call SOMEONE with authority to go check out her house and her living styles before she has this child? I wouldnt want her to know I did that though. But really, somethings gotta be done.

Sorry so long, I just gotta get this off of me for a minute, and let someone else try & figure it out.
Thanks guys...Love you all!
about 6 months ago i myself was in the same situation as yourself like you im not one for turning a blind eye. my friend has 3 children 26 snakes 2 cats and also a dog. the house was not only dirty but also infested with fleas etc, the children were always dirty, under nurished and the animals, bar snakes were kept outside with no shelter or food. i have had the children over several times and bathed and fed them etc but i also put in a annoymos report to our local authority within a week the house was fumigated and cleaned the animals were rescued and my friend and her partner are having to attend parenting classes. i am happy to say that they have turned there lifes around and i am no longer affraid to go round for a cuppa. our local authority will keep them on there register for 2 years and the school is involved i have since told my friend that it was me that reported them but as i have supported her and helped her on more than several occasions she is grateful to me.
we all have days where we are too busy to do the house work but in her case it was 5 people making a mess and no one to clean it. i hope all goes well but if like me your not able to say something as in fear to offend her then to do it annoymosly and support her through it is maybe thats the answer
michelle x

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Unfortunately the parents are still kids. Their mom is HAVING to take over. Its so sad really. But I'm glad she at least forced them to clean. I wonder how they could afford the cleaning crew? Maybe when they are on top of things they can keep it up, sort of start over. Unfortunately with a baby to handle it will be only harder for them to change bad habits.

I'm so glad they don't have the cats anymore, and so glad you MIL was willing to take them! They don't need that extra responsibility right now.
Well the cleaning crew isnt professional. I guess it's random friends of someone's sister doing it for cheap. I didnt get that much about it...I just heard "cleaning crew" and knew at least someone was cleaning. I think it'll be hard for her to keep it up though.