Worried about 2 day old kitten

eazye666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 year old cat has been pregnant twice her first birth she only had one kitten and sadly the kitten was still born. The second time around she gained way more weight thus time I knew there would be more then 1 kitten this tome.

She has around the clock veterinary care, and a loving ,quiet and peaceful environment she lives in. She just gave birth Monday evening her first baby was dead I tried everything to revive the kitten no luck.

Then her second kitten came out screaming and crying she is perfectly health. My cat had another kitten that would come to life.

Then at exactly 24 hours since the first kitten my cat was in labor pushing this time it was a difficult delivery. She ended up having one more live kitten and two more dead.

The live kittens are exactly 24 hours apart, there size is completely different kitten 1 is 2x bugger then kitten 4.

I get the impression that the kitten isn't nursing as well as the older one and my cat isn't nudging her towards the nipple. The poor baby screeches ALOT more then the older kitten. I've tried to handfeed the youngest but everytime I get the kitten out of the "kitten tent" she's cold. I start to get her warmed up and the mama comes and takes her

What should I do I don't want to loose another kitten

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Take the kitten into another room where mom cannot go. Warm the kitten, then gently and slowly syringe feed drop by drop in the side of the mouth. Try for 1-2mLs only. Let the kitten swallow and breathe between drops. Return the kitten to mom.

Have you weighed the kittens yet in grams? It’s the only way to know if they are gaining daily.

Please get your mom cat spayed after this litter weans.

KittyCam

Stray cats and pet cats handler
Kitten
Purraise
It has not been long since I had this problem. My cat had 8 kittens 3 weeks ago. The runt died that night, one kitten was simply suffocated over night underneath mom, and I sadly lost my kitten to this.

°°°°°LONG STORY OF MY OWN WITH THIS KITTEN, IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ, JUST READ LAST PARAGRAPH°°°°°

We noticed one was not drinking and was pretty small compared to the others. At that time he was still latching on and we thought that was good, but every morning we would coms check on him and he would be super cold. At this point I know something was up.

One morning he was left behind away from all the other kittens, super thin, and very cold. I set up a heating pad, a blanket, some stuffed animals and got a box for the kitten to stay in. He was about a week old. I fed him every hour with half a syringe. He would not take it it first. I did not want him to die, so I had to gently force the mouth open. I knew he would not live without it. It was difficult. I stayed up all night and day for 3 days. One day he latched onto mom. I was so happy! Sadly because I had hope, the kitten sadly died in my arms the next morning. Even though the kitten could latch, the bigger ones fought harder.

My advice is to keep feeding the kitten as much as you are. Keep the kitten on the heating pad because it definitely makes a positive impact. You do not need to stay up all day, but at least set alarms. Also everyday try and see if mom allows ths kitten to try and latch on. If mom does not or if kitten won't latch, continue to work with the kitten. Make sure to keep the kitten in a safe room with good temperature. I wish you luck! Sorry for the long story.