Word aversion: Words that irritate you for no reason

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Same and this needs to stop. I've met quite a few Karens in my life and none of them behaved like that. All lovely ladies.
One of my friends and I were talking about this once, and every single Karen we know has been "Anti-Internet Karen". Sweet, kind, and giving.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Darling."
My grandma always called me "my darling girl" and it made me feel like I was amazing or just completely cherished. When people use terms like that toward everyone; it can get weird. One my my husband's co-workers had to change locations for work because he did it so habitually that someone reported him for sexual harassment. That was NOT his intention; but it was better just to move him and warn him to break the habit without having to make anyone feel uncomfortable. I notice it more in the south. I know it's a dated term of endearment; but watch where ya use it! :cringe:
Same and this needs to stop. I've met quite a few Karens in my life and none of them behaved like that. All lovely ladies.
I have 2 Karen's that I know well... both are kind, giving, intelligent women...unless you cross them. Then; look out! It might be a "Call me that one more time and i'll live up to it!" situation. :paranoid: My friend's daughter is Alexa and shes over it too.
Hydration marathon 🤣
Following the Porcelain Promenade

I promise I know nothing about this; but i'm really tired of sitting at the table waiting on my son to do history right now.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Boris Diamond Boris Diamond and MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I didn't mean to be offensive. It is cute when used in those ways. I think my problem lies when my suspense novel turns romantic with everyone suddenly turning into somebody's "Darling." Maybe I should read books by better authors? They start out great, until the detective gets involved in a relationship. :blush:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Boris Diamond Boris Diamond and MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I didn't mean to be offensive. It is cute when used in those ways. I think my problem lies when my suspense novel turns romantic with everyone suddenly turning into somebody's "Darling." Maybe I should read books by better authors? They start out great, until the detective gets involved in a relationship. :blush:
Not offensive at all! I think it hits weird used like that too. One of my favorite authors overuses “love” like that too. Like you just met and you’ve jumped to that as a nickname already?! Maybe some just fit different eras better?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Darling." I don't know if I've heard anyone say it, but it's in enough books. I don't even read romance novels, yet there it is, "Darling, I am going to the store." "Okay, my love, I will see you when you get home. And darling, whatever you do, please don't forget to pick up a loaf of marbled rye."

iPappy iPappy that is hilarious. :spew:
It's a southern/mid western thing. Everyone is 'hon/darling/sweetie'. It's a term of endearment.
I used to play a video game with a southern woman. She always called me 'Ladybug'. My Hawaiian friend who played with us thought she was calling me a pest, until we explained it to him. He still had a hard time with it, but I knew what she was inferring by saying it.
Different cultures have different sayings.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What words irritate me? Practically any of the current corporate buzzwords will do it. For example; we had to go to the bank today to meet the new guy who is handling Michele's retirement fund and I noticed his desk sign said 'Financial Relationship Manager'. Huh? Is there some rule, whether written or unwritten, that says all titles need to be as incomprehensible as possible? Has simplicity been banned? Excuse me now while I beat my head against the nearest wall.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What words irritate me? Practically any of the current corporate buzzwords will do it. For example; we had to go to the bank today to meet the new guy who is handling Michele's retirement fund and I noticed his desk sign said 'Financial Relationship Manager'. Huh? Is there some rule, whether written or unwritten, that says all titles need to be as incomprehensible as possible? Has simplicity been banned? Excuse me now while I beat my head against the nearest wall.
I call myself a pet groomer. I had a customer ask me once what the difference was between a pet groomer and a pet stylist, and I kept the straightest face I could and said "about fifty bucks." Not true of course but it still gave him a laugh.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a new one. My mom has been watching a lot of tv (nothing else for her to do). In almost every single show, people use the term "You have to believe me".
No, they don't have to, you want them to. That saying needs to be re-vamped to 'Please believe me' or 'I need you to'.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People that always end their sentence up in the air like they are asking a question ? . Upspeak gets on my nerves?

And if you came to Boston you'd have a lot to post about here LOL! We call soda 'tonic' and drop all ah(our) 'r's" and Pahk owa cahs in Hahvid Yahd!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
People that always end their sentence up in the air like they are asking a question ? . Upspeak gets on my nerves?

And if you came to Boston you'd have a lot to post about here LOL! We call soda 'tonic' and drop all ah(our) 'r's" and Pahk owa cahs in Hahvid Yahd!
I saw a video where a woman with a Boston accent said "that's not yours" except it sounded like "that's not yaws" to my mid-western mind. I started looking up "what is yaws slang for" until the accent hit me. :doh:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I learned to decipher the Boston/New England accent by watching This Old House on TV, and Southern accents during my time with Uncle Sam, so I can understand almost anyone. As a matter of fact, after all these years I still have a Western NY/ Southern/ Midwestern accent. Yeah, I know, a real mess.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reminded of another one after seeing it on facebook. 'Stuffies' for stuffed animals. For some reason it just fills me with incomprehensible rage.