Wooohooo I'm learning to drive

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woo! Grats!!!

Originally Posted by mrblanche

I'm sure most Americans don't have any concept of the difficulty of getting a driving license in the UK. You ought to tell us all the steps involved, etc.!
Amen to that if its anything like Germany.

In Houston, its impossible to live w/o a car or motorcycle though. I learned to drive when I was 14, and got my Ducati motorcycle at 15 and rode it illegally for 7 months until I turned 16 and got my license, heh! Otherwise, I couldn't even visit my friends, as it would be an hour or two on bicycle just to get to their house. Europe has so much public transportation, its totally optional.

Oh, and in Europe the taxes on cars and motorcycles is INSANE! The UK I think taxes not just heavily on fuel (believe its over $5 a gallon), but also on vehicle engine displacement, which is why they have some cars with tiny tiny engines that are both turbocharged on the exhaust and supercharged off the engine to save on taxes. The new Vettes are $38K more expensive in the UK... *gulp* And on my Vette I pay $815 a year for full insurance coverage w/ medical, but most European insurers I'm told charge based on engine displacement... *double-gulp*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
sorry not been on properely for a while,I have been so busy.I have certainly missed it here and I hope everyone is well.
Well,I did my theory test yesterday and .............PASSED
I am so happy.I have got to book my practical test now,there is about a six week wait so fingers majorly crossed I could be driving in a couple of months.xx

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thats great news hun, and good luck on the practical test

and yeah its stupily expensive to own and drive a car here its early $10 a gallon i think thats what it was last time i converted it, insurance is based on engine size and age of the driver

and ruth i missed you to

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Nothing beats the freedom of a car though.
Thankyou everyone and no,the freedom will certainly make it worth it for me.Been out with my grandparents and dh today,dh sat by me and I drove,my confidence is growing by the minute and I can't wait to be able to drive on my own.x