Wooohooo I'm learning to drive

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nearly 4 years ago I started to take my driving lessons, I was also pregnant which was prob not a good idea and unfortunately I got that big that I couldn't reach the pedals so I had to give it up. I never ot round to starting them again due to lack of funds.
My nan rang the other night and my grandad and her have offered to pay for my lessons, practical and theory test and also buy me a car
I can't believe it, I am so excited. I have my first lesson on tuesday, the lady who will be teaching me said hopefully I won't need that many lessons just a few refresher ones, we will see
I feel so nervous and I am sure I won't remember anything from before. I have been looking at cars and also insurance which is a problem, I cannot believe how much it is just on a bog standard 1.0ltr car, nearly £1000, looks like I'm going to have to find myself a part time job.
The main reason that my grandparents have offered is because they are getting too old to come and visit me reguarly and my grandad said that if I can drive I can go and see them and also maybe help them out a bit, which I would love to do as they mean the world to me and being able to visit them when I want would be fantastic.
I will report back tuesday and tell you all how I go on, wish me luck
x

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is great, have loads of fun and just think your insurance will come down pretty quickly, also check out elephants 10th month bonus accelerator sometimes its cheaper

Have fun on Tuesday

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way to go! I didn't learn to drive until I was 35. It's 15 years later and I still am amazed every time I get into my car.

The feeling of freedom is incredible. You don't miss it when you've never had it, but once you do.....it's wonderful

Keep us posted!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CLEAR THE SIDEWALKS!

I didn't get my license until I was 33 even though I learned to drive years earlier. Good luck!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure most Americans don't have any concept of the difficulty of getting a driving license in the UK. You ought to tell us all the steps involved, etc.!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since driving is such a right of passage for us; getting your license soon after one turns 16.

Good luck! Your insurance seems really expensive though as I have pretty good coverage on three vehicles for about $1500/year.

It would be interesting as Mike stated to share your licensing requirements vs what we have in the US.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

That's great! It'll be especially useful to you since you have kids. Good luck with it!
he kids aint coming in my car
No it will be useful to take them when they have parties and so on as they have to miss a lot if dh is at work.x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone, I am so excited, it will be so much easier to get about, it really will and I will be able to see my grandparents more. I will probably have to have about 10 driving lessons, then I have to take a theory test, mostly questions on road signs or could be on your car. Then after I have completed the lessons and my instructor is happy with me I have to take a practical test with an examiner. Not only do I have to drive and do what they ask correctly I have to know a lot about the car

http://www.billplant.co.uk/documents...-questions.pdf

That's the driving school I am going with.I have been looking at cars and the cheapest insurance so far is £885 which is still a lot but I don't reckon I will get much cheaper and should go down anyway after the first year.There is a lot to do and I am mega nervous, I'm hoping to get in 2 hours a week of lessons, its a bit difficult as I can only do them in the afternoon when my youngest is at nursery. I want to be driving ideally by september when she starts school. x

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is very exciting. I am sure you will do fine. You are blessed to have such great grandparents. I know you are more than willing to help them.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

Thankyou everyone, I am so excited, it will be so much easier to get about, it really will and I will be able to see my grandparents more. I will probably have to have about 10 driving lessons, then I have to take a theory test, mostly questions on road signs or could be on your car. Then after I have completed the lessons and my instructor is happy with me I have to take a practical test with an examiner. Not only do I have to drive and do what they ask correctly I have to know a lot about the car

http://www.billplant.co.uk/documents...-questions.pdf
Wow there are a lot of differences. Here they only test you on driving. There are no real technical questions. Most people I know would not be able to answer all of these questions.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

Wow there are a lot of differences. Here they only test you on driving. There are no real technical questions. Most people I know would not be able to answer all of these questions.
Really? My state has many requirements. You have to take and pass a written test to get a learner's permit. This test covers road signs, driving laws and driving judgement. It also asks many questions about DWI and DUI laws.

A learner's permit is good for one year. If you do not acquire your driver's license within that year you have to take the test again and get a new learner's permit.

No one is allowed to drive without at least learner's permit, and you have to be with a licensed driver age 18 or over while driving with the permit.

You have to take 6 hours of classroom instruction, prior to taking the driving test.

Then you have to take and pass the driving test.