won't go in litter on her own

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please don't worry about confining her to a small space, even if just for the night. Cats usually feel more secure in small spaces. If it helps, you could put a cat carrier in there with another blanket, or a cardboard box. Cats just love something about cardboard boxes. I keep one in my living room, and both of my cats (1 fully grown, the other 7 months) use it as both a playground and nap space.

And don't worry about posting frequently with lots of details. We LIKE that. :lol3:

Good luck!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you clean where she has been?  A weak solution of biological washing powder is best.  And if there is a particular spot she 'favours' I would put a litter tray there - or rather another litter tray.

And it does sound like she is slowly getting there.  But, more and more I think she was nothing like 6 weeks old so it's not surprising she has 'issues' at present.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry....another post.

She seemed ok when I got her out of the laundry this morning.  She was laying near toy.  Nothing in the litter except for pee that I could see.

So I got her fresh water and food at her kitchen location and gave it to her.  She ate and drank some.

I then went over and stood beside the new litter box in the dining area and she came right over to it, jumped in and peed and pooped.  Of course I praised and praised her. 

Couple of more questions......

She didn't cover it.  She went thru some of the motions but didnt'.  Is that normal?  I went ahead and covered it up for it.  It stunk. 

I kinda stood still and watched her as she went to the bathroom.  Her stool was very very mushy. 

1.  I know she is is just a kitten but is that usual.  When will it start forming.  Is that a sign of some type of digestinal trouble?  Is it the food?

2.  Also, she passed wind......my goodness-----------I've never heard of a cat do that-------------as she was going.  Normal??????

3.  One more thing, as she was going see seemed to ok.....how can I say this nicely......grunt and push.  Normal for mushy stool.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens often are a bit mushy, she has been through a very stressful time of late and that can make it worse.

All the rest is normal, and it sounds like she is making progress.  :)

If her stools are liquid (can't do the proper spelling) I'd give your vet a ring.  It might be her, it might be her food, it might be the stress, it might be a bit of all of them.  I think you said she has been wormed?

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No she hasn't been to the vet at all for being wormed.  No test either.  The vet said I should bring in a sample of her poop or they can get a sample.

And goodness, she is soooooo skinny.  I can feel her ribcage.  Is that normal for a 7week old kitten.

I'm still feeding her meow mix and regular fancy feast.  I'm switching to kitten fancy feast tonight and kitten chow.....of course gradually.

I sure wish I could learn some patience......I'm ready to give her up.  ugh.....I hate myself because she is the sweetest thing.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No she hasn't been to the vet at all for being wormed.  No test either.  The vet said I should bring in a sample of her poop or they can get a sample.

And goodness, she is soooooo skinny.  I can feel her ribcage.  Is that normal for a 7week old kitten.

I'm still feeding her meow mix and regular fancy feast.  I'm switching to kitten fancy feast tonight and kitten chow.....of course gradually.

I sure wish I could learn some patience......I'm ready to give her up.  ugh.....I hate myself because she is the sweetest thing.
If you feel you cannot do this, then by all means find her a home with someone who can.  But just don't give her to anyone.  Maybe ask the vet if they know of anyone.  Sometimes vets will take kittens and puppies and adopt them out themselves or a tech might like her and take her home.  So, start there.  Some people though they love animals are not pet people.  They like their home nice and tidy and hate to have things messed up.  Owning a kitten or a puppy is much like having a toddler in the house.  They are messy.  They break things.  Cute as they are, they are not an ornament, they are living beings with the need for hyper play and love.  Messes to them are fun. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think about a vet visit to get her wormed and check to see how she's growing.  It's so hard as I don't know what 'feel her ribs' feels like - maybe she is the right weight for her size, maybe she really is very skinny.  What I have noticed with kittens is that the grow in spurts - a kitten grows longer and feels a bit thin, fills out, grows longer and get a bit thin again and so on.

But - you can't feel the vertebra on her spine?  She might be OK.  If her ribs are hidden under fat she's fat.

Interesting all that poo testing - it's rarely done in the UK.  Maybe we have different worms?  The usual drug in the UK now is Milbemax:

http://www.ah.novartis.com/products/en/milbemax_cat.shtml

However she might be a bit light for it - 500g is the minimum weight that can be treated.

We also use Panacur liquid which is squirted slowly into the side of the kitten's mouth, as you measure the dose according to weight it can be used earlier but it treats fewer worms.

I believe you that she is the sweetest thing - kittens almost always are!  It's being so hard because she was far, far too young to be away from her mum.  The more I hear the more I'd be astonished if she was actually 6 weeks old when you got her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So you had NOT  had any deworming?  So you must count she has worms. Probably round worms, maybe also tape worms.

The watery stool and smells AND difficulties to keep tight are more than well explained by that. It doesnt even need to be the natural stress she has.

I know you talked about an appointment with the vet, I though he did already gave you advices on the basic deworming.   Sorry if I wasnt clear enough in my earlier post.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't understand myself.  When I lived at home through college I've had cats--and I remember the messes, hair and heartbreak.  I want to keep her.  She and I have bonded and I'm so calm when she is with me.  IF I decide to not keep her I will not just give her to anyone and I will make sure she is vaccinated an fixed.

Vet visit is tomorrow.  The dam owners before didn't even take them.  I'd like to punch them right in the face.  Hopefully the vet can tell me more. 

It's interesting....when I told the girl I got her from that she wasn't going in her litter she responded "oh, she went to the litter here, I don't know what's going on."  And that is a bunch of BS.  And of course she gave some of the other kittens away and according to one of their new owners "the kitten is just find--no accidents or anything".  Well, lucky  you I say to them. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originallaccording to one of their new owners "the kitten is just find--no accidents or anything".  Well, lucky  you I say to them. 
Just fine?  so prob no diarrhea either?

Prob your girl got the most severe worm infection of them all who went to new home,

with diarrhea etc...  As said, having diarrhea, or even rare stool, it is difficult to keep tight.

Your little girl is a real heroine, who although having diarrhea, do tries to find the litter before it is too late...  Her not always succesful is just fate.

Last edited:

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This little dear just went to the bathroom and she meowed and had the squirts......I heard her. It looks like mush or pudding. I'm crying for her.

Do you all think it is worms?

Question......vet visit is tomorrow. If they give her medicine how long will it take to help her?

Also what can I get to get the Oder out of my carpets where she went before?

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear friends.......

The kitty just peed where she pooped a couple days ago. I thought I cleaned it but obviously not.

So. Is this normal?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Biological washing powder is best for cleaning up where she has been, and since she has used the same place twice I'd put a litter tray there.  Think worms get cleared pretty quickly.  When I was giving kittens Panacur they had to have it three days running, Milbemax is a one-shot dose.  I'm not sure if the side effects go quite as quickly.

Yes, take her to the vet, worms can cause the runs, and whilst kittens often produce soft stools, the runs are not normal.  Worms might or might not be the cause but a vet check is well worth doing.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Biological washing powder is best for cleaning up where she has been,

There are also enzyme-based sprays. Easier to use for quickies.  Or for places you dont want soaked with lotsa of liquid, sofas for example.

Both are better than the old home remedies,  mild soap-solution and or vinegar-solution.

Vinegar/vinegar essence solution is of course still useful in some variations, as it neutralises and breaks down the ammonia in pee.