wisdom teeth?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A friend just had hers done and she was saying that her dentist didn't give her antibiotics - he only gave antibiotics when there was an actual infection!!

Surely by that stage it would be pretty bad?? I thought antibiotics were to get rid of it as soon as one started, and a preventative sort of thing?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got all 4 of them removed last year. they just gave me novicane and it hurt like heck when they took them out and they gave me this medicine for pain but it made me sick which is normal so I had to stop taking it. I am glad they had 'em removed, since I have such a small mouth as it is.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to have all 4 of my cut out about 12 years ago.I ended up being sick for 2 weeks and there is still a piece of a filling in my jaw.When I have any x-rays done of my face, they freak cause they see the filling and have to ask what it is before they treat me. I honestly think my Hyster was easier!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Forgot one.. mine are still in my head ... I need to have them out but since they already wrecked the work the braces did I am waiting for them to show to have them removed...

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

I got all 4 of them removed last year. they just gave me novicane and it hurt like heck when they took them out and they gave me this medicine for pain but it made me sick which is normal so I had to stop taking it. I am glad they had 'em removed, since I have such a small mouth as it is.
Everyone in my family, minus my dad, all need our wisdom teeth out. My mom got hers out years ago, my eldest brother got them out in 2004, and my other brother is getting them out soon. I will be getting mine out sometime in the near future.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting my wisdom teeth removed wasn't too bad, but there's a story behind it. The month before I was to have my teeth removed I came down with one of the worst cases of Mono my doctor had ever seen. I was in the hospital for a week on all sorts of IV's and medication to make sure that my spleen and liver made it through okay. In that week of being in the hospital I found out that I was allergic to a family of antibiotics, the hard way.

So when I was taken to get my wisdom teeth removed, it was a picnic compared to what I had gone through the month prior.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Getting my wisdom teeth removed wasn't too bad, but there's a story behind it. The month before I was to have my teeth removed I came down with one of the worst cases of Mono my doctor had ever seen. I was in the hospital for a week on all sorts of IV's and medication to make sure that my spleen and liver made it through okay. In that week of being in the hospital I found out that I was allergic to a family of antibiotics, the hard way.

So when I was taken to get my wisdom teeth removed, it was a picnic compared to what I had gone through the month prior.
Wow!, that sounds like a miserable expeirence!

I have all of my wisdom teeth.

When I was in grade 8 I had 4 healthy adult molars removed for braces to be put on. I guess along with aligning my teeth it made room for the wisdom teeth to come in as well.

cyber cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had all 4 of my Wisdom teeth removed because I had an over bite when I was a kid. I was in the hospital and was put right out to have them removed. After that my jaw started clicking everytime I opened it, and today I have severe TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint) Disorder. I wish I went back on that guy do took them out.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holy crap guys you're freaking me out! I'm getting my top 2 removed in October.

Sarah- those pictures are startling. Why the heck is your eye bruised?!!
I only had 1 bottom one, which I got removed a few years back without incident. The dentist made me laugh - she was a petite woman and had the hardest time wrenching the tooth out it looked quite comical (thanks to the painkillers).

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had all mine out and it was all pretty straightforward. I had to go to the dental hospital to have one out under sedation as it was at an angle and not easy to get out without breaking, but the other 3 were just pulled out at the dentists (on 2 occasions) during my lunchbreak
The worst part was having the 2 upper ones out at the same time and being given a care sheet that said after a certain number of hours I could eat on the "unaffected side"

I have that TMJ thing too, but I had it before I had my wisdom teeth taken out.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I went for one of my regular checkups 2 years ago, my dentist took the x-rays of my mouth and she came over to me all excited and said you are one lucky girl because you don't even have sockets for wisdom teeth, You're jaw is way too small and she said I'll never even get wisdom teeth and boy am I grateful!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have all of mine, and I know they'll be coming out sometime in the near future.. and it scares me!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had all of mine removed (at the same time) when I was 18. It wasn't a horrible experience for me...I hardly swelled and was able to go back to work the next day.

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, technically I still have all of mine, but I only have two, the top ones. My last trip to a new dentist he looked at my x-rays and asked me whether I'd had my bottom wisdom teeth removed, and I said no, and he said, well, you won't ever be needing to, because you don't have any.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are all gone, and all four were "impacted"-- meaning they break them into pieces and then take the pieces out. I got them out way before they grew in, when I was 17 or so.

My oral surgeon gave me the DRUGS! I got laughing gas to begin with, and then an IV with like three different anesthetics in it. I don't remember that entire day, and I felt high for like three days. Apparently I was mumbling all sorts of crap all day and sleeping on the couch. I even ate Jello! For all I remember though I wasn't even awake. They gave me Vicodin to take too but it made me sick after the first two days. Oh, and they broke my vein the first time trying to do the iv and I looked at my bleeding / goose-egged arm, giggled, held up the other one and said "Try this one!" because of the laughing gas.

I feel so bad for y'all that woke up or were awake! That would be terrible! I was restrained and had a bunch of nurses and all kinds of stuff.

Oh, and Sarah, you looked like my prom date. He was all swollen like that for prom! Poor you, I would be upset! I just looked like my cheeks were full, like a chipmunk.

kuuyku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The difference between having your teeth taken out by a general dentist and oral surgeon is like night and day!

Usually it is just as easy as a few twists and a yank. When the apex of the root(s) breaks off, is when the operation gets a little more intimate with the patients mouth. Impacted teeth, or teeth that are titlted mesially to the extent that the occlusal surface is touching the proximal surface of the adjacent tooth is also when it becomes annoying. In addition, nerves may wrap around a root of the tooth which can complicate the operation a little. anyways I will not bore you further with dental mumbo jumbo.

If only you could imagine some of the mouths I have seen before. I have seen someone who had a second row of maxillary central and laterals - like a shark! It's fun.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad always had to go to an oral surgeon because the roots of his teeth hooked.

On one occasion, the oral surgeon seemed to be in pain as he worked on me. Turned out I was unknowingly biting on his thumb!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kuuyku,

Please tell me some more on the impacted problems. I am extremely pain intolerant but my dentist has urged me to have all 4 removed with 1 being impacted...so far I have not listened to him .....but recently I was having neck pain that my GP Dr told me was from an impacted wisdom tooth ...... and urged me to go to see a surgeon to have it removed. and now Im freaking out.