wisdom teeth?

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know which answer to choose on the poll really. I am currently cutting my first wisdom tooth. It broke throught the gums about a month ago, grew a little, and now its stopped. So I have PART of a wisdom tooth. It seems to be coming in ok, and dosen't hurt much since it finally cut through the gums, so hopefull I won't have to have it removed.

kuuyku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not seen your x-rays or mouth, so I cannot specifically diagnose anything; nor would I accross the internet.

Although, neck pain and local lymphadenitis can be tell-tale effects of an impacted tooth. If you have bumps around the neck area, those are lymph nodes 'dealing' with a localized infection which is normal unless they do not disappear after a long period of time. The actual neck pain can be caused by an impacted tooth putting preasure on the other teeth, essentially giving them no place to run. This could force a crowding effect of the teeth which may result in neck/ jaw pain. Also, the impacted tooth may have impinged the gums and/or created a food trap that facilitates tooth decay and/or gum disease which would cause lymphadenitis/localized pain. There is a myriad of other signs, but this is more in relation to your situation. And, this can also be attributed to erupted teeth as well, not only impacted teeth.

I would suggest that you listen to your provider and get them removed; especially, if it is the underlying cause of your neck pain. Moreover, considering your intolerance for pain, try to seek treament from an actual oral surgeon rather than a general dentist if your insurance covers it or you can afford it. People who see OSs usually recover more quickly and with less complications, simply because that is part of their specialty.

For the mean time, floss and brush around your wisdom teeth thoroughly. If slight bleeding occurs, it may be because there was food stuck or impinged gums that caused gingivitis. You may also try to garggle with warm saltwater, just tap water and salt will work - bad taste, but it can help alleviate some problems. Teeth involve the whole body too, so take care of them

Hopefully I helped you a little. Take care.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for your response ..... but I was referring to complications in just a general extraction versus impacted extraction .... sorry I was unclear.

Im an avid flosser probably an OCD flosser lol .... and have had no jaw or mouth pain. No swollen lymph nodes just some back neck pain that he associated with the impacted tooth.

Whats freaking me out is the complications from having an impacted tooth removed verusus an unimpacted tooth ....... this is from someone who almost passed out when her cats were spayed and neutered.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Pami! I'm no dentist, but I can say that all four of mine were impacted (although I guess I didn't understand what it actually meant!) and I was back to work in 5 days or so. Couldv'e been earlier but the Vicodin messed me up and then I wasn't scheduled. My friends came by to bring me a milkshake and expected me to be laid out, and I was up and at'em and no longer swollen.

The pain resulting in your neck is probably worse than having them taken out. But as Kuuyku said, go to an oral surgeon. They knock you out cold and you don't feel a thing.

The holes hurt about as bad as a bad zit. I know that's gross, but everyone's had one of those and it's certainly bearable!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Zissou,
That makes me feel better ........I will call and schedule an appt. for sometime in the next couple of years
...when they told me my neck was associated with the impacted tooth .... I actually decided I would keep my neck pain and my impacted tooth.

kuuyku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, every tooth is different, so every operation is different. There are many factors that the provider uses to form an appropriate plan of removal. If 3 of your teeth are errupting normally, I would take this as a good sign that the 4th would not be complicating. Do not sweat it, it is not invasive heart surgery
; all you have to lose is a few teeth.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea what they did to me to give me a black eye, but it was impressive!! We were walking around on the weekend after when the black eye was at it's worst, and people were giving my husband the dirtiest looks!! Honestly, we ended up going home early because people were saying to me "ohhh what happened" and glaring at Andrew and taking me aside!

It was quite funny....

For those who need theirs out - the longer you take, the worse it is. The roots of your teeth get more embedded over the years, so the sooner you do it, the easier they are to get out. I bruised up really bad, had big puffy cheeks, couldn't eat for days and was close to passing out from having nothing substantial going into me!

But you know, looking back now, it really wasn't that bad. It was just annoying and uncomfortable more than anything. I am such a wimp when it comes to this sort of thing, and something ALWAYS goes wrong (eg. I've had a piece of bone sticking out of my gum that got pulled out, and have a titanium screw poking through my gum from a mouth operation just recently that was supposed to be pretty straight forward). The wisdom teeth really wasn't that bad though - and it was well worth it.

I had 2 impacted teeth that were squishing my other teeth, and had bad breath because food kept getting caught in the hole where they were impacted. The top ones hadn't come through but there was no room, and that was going to cause problems. So, if they look bad, get it done before it causes a whole lot more pain and money!