Willow still not eating much!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to let someone else tell you how to do photos here...many use a hosting site called www.photobucket.com I believe. The few images I've posted here are located in a directory on my own website.

Cats are wonderful, and I will keep your special little one in my thoughts and prayers.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I'm going to let someone else tell you how to do photos here...many use a hosting site called www.photobucket.com I believe. The few images I've posted here are located in a directory on my own website.

Cats are wonderful, and I will keep your special little one in my thoughts and prayers.
if you sign up for photobucket, you can upload images there. then paste the url that begins with the
tag & the pic will show up. if it's too big, you can resize w/photobucket - click on the edit button, resize to 75%, log out, look at the thread - if that's not enough, log back in & resize to 50%. you can also post clickable thumbnails, but i've never done that, so i'm not sure how. hope this helps, & looking forward to seeing Willow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marshab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marsha's husband here...
Christmas Day! Went to the clinic and timed it right. The vet was there, but Willow is not doing well. I'm trying to absorb all this information...

She's keeping the food down that he has been force feeding her. That's good.
He doesn't know why her glucose went up to 21(?). He's been giving her 3-4 units of insulin and he brought it down to 17.
She is getting jaundice - yellow around her eyes!!!!
I am trying to understand this - that her liver is not functioning properly. I guess that is the condition that Alex & Pat referred me to. Is this because of her on again and off again eating over the past two months?

She is still on antibiotics because of inflammation. By tomorrow we will see if there is any improvement. The only way to tell what is wrong with the liver is to do a biopsy. He prefers not to because Willow is so thin and weak. There also may be some pancreas problems, but he is not sure at this point.

One option is to send her by air to a Vet University hospital in Saskatoon. That's two flights away. They could do an ultrasound, and they have students there who could maintain her. But what would the stress of all that plane handling do to her? She is already totally incapicitated.

Of course, if they verify this liver disease, what happens then?

I would drive her which is about 600 miles one way, but the same questions apply... How many days to find out what is wrong and how to get her home? Wow!

If jaundice is setting in, is there ANY hope? What would you do? Help, please!!
Thank you again.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am hoping for a peaceful resolution for all concerned here, whatever that resolution might be. I have been where you are several times and it is always so hard to come to grips with the fact that cats just don't live as long as we want them to. The fact that Willow wanted back in her cage speaks volumes to me, and I just hope, well, I just wish for all concerned to have strength right now. Willow needs your strength and courage, just as she has needed and gotten your love in her life.

Hugs

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have a long talk with the vet. The jaundice may indeed mean it is hepatic lipidosis, I would ask your vet about that. As the article will have mentioned that condition needs aggressive treatment, some choose to have a feeding tube installed for example.

But...it sounds as if several things are going on at once and she is weak. I have always let my cat tell me when they'd had enough - if there was hope and a chance I could improve the situation and my cat still had spirit, I've done whatever...if I could not fix it, and my cat would only deteriorate and/or suffer no matter what was done, then I've made a very difficult choice to pts.

No one here can tell you whether or not it is time, your cat can, and your vet can guide you as well with what they feel can and can't be done for her.

I am so very sorry you are in this situation, you have my deepest sympathy, I know how difficult, painful and confusing a time this can be.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry to hear Willow's still so sickly - she's such a beautiful girl! if you're confident this vet is doing a good job, i wouldn't stress her with a long trip.
{{{{{vibes}}}}} & [[[[[prayers]]]]] that she'll pull thru...
to you during this difficult time.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry things aren't looking well. I think you need to have a proper chat with the vet - I always ask mine what they would do in the situation - not that they like answering that question, but I don't let them refuse to answer. I also ask if the cat will be in pain or suffering and if there is a chance of recovery. She is such a pretty girl.

marshab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boxing Day morning. And I need some more advice from you good folks.

Just talked to the vet. Marsha and I are going to the clinic in an hour. She's being brave and wants to see Willow for the first time in 3 days.

As you can imagine it's been hectic for the vet. He's been closed for the past 2 1/2 days, but running down 5 and 6 times a day to force feed Willow and give her insulin and monitor her condition. His daughter is in town visiting from University. So much for his family Christmas! And it may all be for naught.

Willow isn't improving. She's got jaundice. He says she needs more intensive care that he can give. He could do a liver biopsy to send away to the University Vet Hospital in another province, but doesn't know if she would pull through the anaesthetics. But is that worth a try if we have to put her down anyway? It would mean another couple of days of same treatment, and I think my vet's patience is coming to an end. I can't blame him at all. He's already gone above and beyond the call of duty.

Option 2 is to bring her home and let me force feed her ( have to learn how) and give the insulin. Would that make any difference in the final outcome? Or is the jaundice too late? I don't know if that can be overcome.

Option 3 to send her by air to Saskatoon doesn't seem to be an option. Willow would have to change planes. Be handled in noisy baggage areas a lot.There's even some doubt whether the airlines are accepting pet freight due to the high passenger volumes. We'd incur a huge cost without any certainty that things would improve.

Or the 4th and worst option is the hardest one...

Is there ANYTHING else we can do that makes sense?
I've never been a quitter, and always like to think "where there is a will, there is a way".
I have to decide in the next hour.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have followed Willow's story and I am so sorry. What ever you decide

Anne

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear that. I honestly don't know what to suggest.

marshab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I sit and watch the remembrances on TV today of all the people who lost their lives in the tsunami a year ago, and during Hurricane Katrina and earthquakes in Pakistan, it makes our plight seem insignificant. However, for two people with a docile, soft, and beautiful cat who had to make the final decision today, it is extremely difficult. We haven't even bothered to open our presents under the tree.

Marsha held Willow in her arms at the vet's. She was down to 5 1/2 lbs from 10 lbs two months ago. She could barely stand up. She barely moved. When we put her back in her cage her tail end flicked several times. She WAS happy to see us!!

On the vet's bulletin board were posted the 6 times he came by on Christmas day to force feed and give her liquids! We certainly screwed up his weekend with his family. Talk about commitment. Willow's glucose readings were 17, 15, 17, 5 and then spiked to 29 this morning. She was getting more jaundiced.

His clinic in town (the only vet) is closed for two more days and I couldn't ask him to keep doing this since last Thursday. None of the other options we considered made any sense or gave us any guarantees. This story is over.

THANK YOU to all of you for your advice and suggestions. This website was the only place I found for additional support. It will be difficult tomorrow morning when Marsha wakes up and usually spends the first 15 minutes feeding and brushing Willow. Time heals all wounds as they say, and we will move forward.

We will make a small donation to this wonderful website. We wish you all a wonderful New Year and enjoy your pets. :-)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
so sorry for you to lose her - especially at christmas! you made the right decision for her, & she's happy now, playing with the other kitties over the bridge.
to you at this sad time...

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss. I truly believe we see them again someday, healthy and whole, and a number of us, have frankly seen our passed on cats come back to visit us as if to say "we are fine and whole now and we will always be a part of your heart".

You have a wonderful, dedicated vet, please if appropriate, tell him how impressed I was with his kindness and caring and dedication.

lex883

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one cat is 5 years old and wont gain a lb. He only weights 6 lb, and the vet says , while its not harmful for him to be that light it couldn't hurt him to put on some weight. She gave us a jell, that contains everything he needs to stay healthy and put on lbs. We give him about 1 cc a day with our fingers and hes dong well, I think he now weighs 6lb 5 oz . It also helps to keep his blood sugar levels under control. He still only eats a little, but the vet says not all cats are big eaters. Good luck with your kitty.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lossed your beautiful baby. You will be in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is at peace and soon you will be as well. It takes time to wade through the grief, and there are lessons to learn on this well-trod path. I wish you both the strength and courage to meet each day. Know that Willow is thanking you and soon you will meet again, in a different place where there is no pain, no confusion and nothing but love.

I have moved your thread-

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost her, but I'm sure she's grateful that you had her put to rest, and that she'll be waiting for you on the other side. It's so difficult to lose a beloved family member, and they're never forgotten.