Will They Survive.....Prays needed....

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have done so much for those kitties. They really are lucky to have you.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never fear, TCS is here.
You'll be able to move them with you.

for Dixie, Lippy, and Yakky.

We have a feral villa. This is the second winter no one's used it.
If it didn't cost so much to send, I'd offer to ship it to you. I think there's just too many other options or natural spots around here, because ferals have NEVER used any shelter we've put out, but other people rave about the feral villa.
I think they're using the box we made just before the last super bitter cold front - but I suspect it's only during the day and when they're here before the food is out, not at night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There must be safe "nests" that your cats retreat to for sleeping otherwise I am sure they would use your shelters. I guess the old saying "if you build it, they will come" doesn't apply to ferals
! The few colony caretakers near me have those villas and say the cats do use them. My ferals are all related and a family unit so I am sure that is why they are all comfortable sleeping together in my shelter. That was very nice of you, Laurie
, to offer your shelter to me! But you never know your cats might just surprise you one day and use it! We can only hope

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The darn thing is just being wasted here. I wanted to send it to Eileen last year - but it's got to be taken apart to send it, it weighs a ton, we no longer have the instructions on how to put it back together... I really ought to get off my rump and find a rescue org in NJ or Eastern PA that could use it.
(Then all we have to do is drive it somewhere LOL).

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your gang better use it or lose it
! And as soon as you take it apart, they will want, just like kids
. I would come get it but it would cost me ten times the amount of ordering one in gas. If you find a rescue to take it, they might come to you and pick it up and you won't have to take it apart. If all else fails and you want to get rid of it, we will find it a new home with willing occupants

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ha, that's what my back yard looks like! i also employ a variety of stuff to keep the doorways clear, who knew we'd have to dig out the shelters like this! I'm in NYC but it's the same deal.

I worry about my ferals too, but they really do figure out what to do during a storm. During one recent snowstorm, I looked out and saw several of them just running around, playing in the snow like nothing bad was happening. Even when the temperature drops they are acclimated and do fine as long as they get their food and have shelter options. keep up the good work!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks a bunch - JimmyLegs!! It helps to share about our ferals and this site is a great place to do it

I still have only seen Yogi and Hokey. They have been hanging around the house paths and shelter all day lately. I am worried about Dixie, but she has been a feral in these parts longer than her kittens so I think she has other stomping grounds.
. And she is VERY reclusive and hides all the time, she rarely shows herself to me like the other's. Yakky and Lippy haven't showed up either, but are a bit older too.

It is very cold and bitter temps again. But this weekend we may break freezing to 38 degrees. YEAH Hurry up SPRING

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was 40 degrees here this morning, felt like summer after all this snow and sub-zero weather!

I don't know what your area is like but i used to worry about disappearing ferals until i realized they were hiding in an abandoned house behind mine! they had their own house!

Talking with neighbors I also found out some feral who I thought never set foot off my property actually had several homes they visit, so your guys may be making the rounds.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sure hope that is the case
. It is even more brutally cold today. And tonight ten below for a HIGH!! Just crazy cold. I am still seeing ALL the time Yogi and Hokey. They are in the shelter day and night now. When I go out to feed, they come tearing out and race past me hissing!!! So funny. Then they stop up the path about 15 feet away and sit and wait for me to put in the warm food and hot water. I go back inside and they go right back into the shelter.

When I reach in to get bowls out, it is quite warm in there with the heating pad and from their body heat. I will keep you all updated on if I see the others. I pray they are alright.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
10 below? Not like - a windchill factor? 10 BELOW????????????????

Mega for all your babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And ferals struggling in this cold/snow everywhere!)

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The hissing part is cute and hilarious

Mega prayers for safety and wellness for all ferals and strays out there

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today the temps are just unbelievable!! seven below zero for most of the morning and only got to ten degrees for today. COME ON Mother Nature, blow some warm air our way.

BUT GUESS WHAT !!!!!!!!!!! Dixie is BACK. I just saw her now after I put the food out and hot water. Yogi went in first, and then I saw her come down the shoveled path from the abandoned house. She is VERY thin and looks totally warn out. Her right ear is bent forward. I am so upset, her coat looks thin too. Hokey was with them too. So three are back together

Laurie, what can I put in the water to hydrate her?? Does anyone know if there is anything I can add, like eletrolytes that they won't detect and not drink.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GREAT news

Do you think she looks sick? I am hoping with good food and shelter she will bounce right back. She needs to grow that coat back, it's still winter. How does Hokey look?

I am so happy for you

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think people give kitties gatorade - I don't know if there's one that's not flavored. I've never looked in the supermarket for something for babies - but there's likely something unflavored there.

That said - what we do for them is boil chicken (adding nothing) and put out warm boiled chicken broth.

Oh poor baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad she made her way home.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LoveWhiskers

GREAT news

Do you think she looks sick? I am hoping with good food and shelter she will bounce right back. She needs to grow that coat back, it's still winter. How does Hokey look?

I am so happy for you
No not sick, sick. Just thin and tired looking. I am wondering if she was buried under the snow somewhere for days with no water or food and dug her way out and back home??? I will stuff lots of food and water in her and she should be fine. Warmer temps starting tomorrow

Hokey is long-haired and LOTS of it. He looks very good. I hope Dixie cuddles up with Yogi and Hokey tonight to keep eachother warm.
Thanks for your concern

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I think people give kitties gatorade - I don't know if there's one that's not flavored. I've never looked in the supermarket for something for babies - but there's likely something unflavored there.

That said - what we do for them is boil chicken (adding nothing) and put out warm boiled chicken broth.

Oh poor baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad she made her way home.
Ok, I will get another water bowl out there right now with gaterade (watered down) At least it is something more to offer her. Also, that is a super idea about the boiled chicken and chicken stock. I give chicken stock to Wilbur, my dog, with his feedings so I have that on hand!!!! Dixie thanks You
And I thank you

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I couldn't remember the name of the kid's product, but it just came to me. Pedialyte (for babies). In the meantime, try the watered down gatorade -and the chicken/chicken broth will really help.

Also, if you want to give her a real boost, you can gather the ingredients to make kitten glop: OH OH - turns out the site also has a recipe for home-made pedialyte!!!! Here:

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/what_to_feed.html

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yukky!! That kitten glop recipe sound gross, but maybe cats love it! I need to get few ingredients in the morning and will make it. Give it a try and it is good to have this recipe on hand too. The pedialyte recipe I have all the ingredients so I can give that to her in the morning and it won't hurt the others to have some too. Thanks so much for your effort to pull that up for me!
and good night MEOW
. I am signing off for the night

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I expect that especially if it's warm, they'll love it because of the fat (which, I think, is the point). Sounds like it'll help warm her up from the inside out, and is packed full of calories. I do hope she'll eat it!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks!! I am off to get the ingredients soon. I did make up the Pedialyte recipe and put it out there earlier. I did see Dixie way under the pine tree this morning. So she is sticking around. I went back out to check the level of the fresh water mixture and it was lower
. I think they like it!!!